An Old School Catholic Message Board

Reporting A Professor

Thy Geekdom Come

Thy Geekdom Come

Hey pham, I just switched out of a Latin class into another because I can't stand the professor. He was making very obscene Latin-related sexual jokes, and he seems always to be looking at the girls in the class when he made them. He wrote a couplet of Latin poetry, which I will not repeat here, even in Latin, which was terribly obscene. I think he used the occasion of Latin to do it so that he could get away with it. The only problem is that the poet he sited was a graduate level type of poet, so it can't be considered a part of the curriculum or even the subject matter.

He also made an ambiguous joke which could have been taken sexually or not and when a girl in the class said it was disgusting, he told her that she just thought that because she was a dirty girl with a dirty mind.

Okay, no doubt this guy should not be teaching and is at least in need of sensativity training, but I think I'm the only one with the guts to report it (and I don't think everyone is completely offended enough). A friend of mine, she's only in Latin 101, told me that he pulls similar antics in her class. If I report it, other offended people may come forward...which would allow them to get it off their chests.

Should I report him?

Oh, I forgot to add, if we write the dirty poem on our next quiz, we get extra credit.

Edited by Raphael

theculturewarrior

You have a right to a school environment that is not "hostile." This is harrassment and your dean of students has an obligation to do something about it. If he has tenure though...

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='theculturewarrior' date='Aug 26 2004, 06:26 PM'] You have a right to a school environment that is not "hostile." This is harrassment and your dean of students has an obligation to do something about it. If he has tenure though... [/quote]
Yeah.

I don't know if he has tenure...but I've considered that.

It wouldn't be terribly difficult for me to be in the class, but I don't want him getting away with making others feel uncomfortable, and I'm willing to guess that I'm one of only a few guys who feels uncomfortable with it, while more of the girls likely do...

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='peach_cube' date='Aug 26 2004, 09:07 PM'] report him....and write a poem about a guy that falls in the mud :) [/quote]
Why should I write a poem about a guy who falls in the mud...?

Ash Wednesday

Write him up.

I slammed a history prof in my class evaluations once -- I said he was rude and looked like Rick Moranis.

(Though looking like Rick Moranis was the only thing he had going for him.)

toledo_jesus

by making such obviously sexist and disrespectful remarks this man is making the environment a hostile one that is the opposite of what most colleges want to give their students. He could potentially be fired.
Report him and sleep soundly.

Sounds like sexual harassment to me. I'd advise approaching the girl who spoke up and see if you two could complain together - you could be her witness.