An Old School Catholic Message Board

Purpose

CatholicCrusader

Rapheal writes: I'm just curious and don't mean any malice by it, but why do you spell know as K(NOW)?

To K(NOW) in the NOW-today’s understanding in the NOW (present) as opposed to how I use to know in the past.

Rapheal writes: Indeed, but of course, we can always get to know God better and better. He is infinite, after all.
I agree.

Rapheal writes: I should say that because God is infinite, we can never completely know Him.

It takes many moments to understand GOD. We should also REMEMBER that GOD understands that we are also changing and growing every moment of our lives as well.

Also wanted to thank you for getting back to me and now it is my turn to admit to you that that was a well written post.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='carrdero' date='Aug 29 2004, 10:42 PM'] Rapheal writes: I'm just curious and don't mean any malice by it, but why do you spell know as K(NOW)?

To K(NOW) in the NOW-today’s understanding in the NOW (present) as opposed to how I use to know in the past.

Rapheal writes: Indeed, but of course, we can always get to know God better and better. He is infinite, after all.
I agree.

Rapheal writes: I should say that because God is infinite, we can never completely know Him.

It takes many moments to understand GOD. We should also REMEMBER that GOD understands that we are also changing and growing every moment of our lives as well.

Also wanted to thank you for getting back to me and now it is my turn to admit to you that that was a well written post. [/quote]
Thank you, Carrdero.

:tiphat:

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='carrdero' date='Aug 31 2004, 06:26 AM'] Yes but how can we LOVE and serve GOD if we do not K(NOW) him? [/quote]
Carrdero, my friend, we cannot ever know God completely, but you can love me or any other without knowing us completely.

What we know of God, He made known to us.

From the book HELLO IT's ME An Interview With GOD
Chapter on Religion pg 15

INTERVIEWER: I think the true spirit of religion is to bring people closer to GOD, to answer the questions of our lives and the universe, to forgive us of our shortcomings and to help us not sin anymore.

GOD: Well YOU certainly did touch on ALL the aspects of what religion tries to BE. There is something YOU left out – and which no religion is qualified to teach – PURPOSE. Because PURPOSE is personal. What's PURPOSEful to YOU may not BE PURPOSEful to another. Religions, we might say, satisfy a need for support. Most of the religions at this moment are just forms of support groups. People will come up to others and say, "Do you want to be in my religion? I'll support you." In that sense, Alcoholics Anonymous is a religion. Most of your political parties are religions. Even supporting sport teams is a religion.

Let ME help YOU UNDERSTAND by telling YOU what religion is not. It is not money. It is not hymns. It is not about following blindly. It is not BEing appointed to a position. It is not a chosen few. It is not confession. It is not about receiving sacraments. It is not ritual. It is not robes or chalices or pews. It is not about looking or acting or worshipping in similar ways. It is not stained glass, candles, or incense. It is not seclusion, segregation, or judgment. It is not pentacles, cauldrons, or crosses. It is not about books, beads, or bangles.

I tell you that whether one or two people are gathered in MY name or not, I AM with YOU. I require nothing else, just YOUR companionship and the companionship YOU share with others. That is reason enough for MY presence.

sorry to burst your bubble, but that's not God talking...

it's logically flawed, religion is not merely a support group, it is a collection of people who all agree about who God is and worship that same God together. our Holy Religion holds to a God who is all-good and all-holy and works through a Church so that we can be sure of who He is.

also, cannot the entire human race have a purpose? why does everyones purpose have to be independent and personal? why must it be exclusionary of all other human beings and focused in on only yourself and your purpose (which is quite selfish might I add)? human beings are all created for the same purpose, to know love and serve God. their temporal purposes on this earth are all different, yes. but their eternal purpose is for good and not evil, to make it to heaven and acheive the beatific vision.

anyway, my God would never say something so logically flawed.

Aloysius writes: also, cannot the entire human race have a purpose? why does everyones purpose have to be independent and personal? why must it be exclusionary of all other human beings and focused in on only yourself and your purpose (which is quite selfish might I add)?

These are all very good questions. You should bring them up with GOD.

Edited by carrdero