An Old School Catholic Message Board

Attending Non-catholic Services

p0lar_bear

From the "Do you support the Charismatic Movement" thread

[url="http://phorum.phatmass.com/index.php?showtopic=13692&st=175"]http://phorum.phatmass.com/index.php?showtopic=13692&st=175[/url]

[quote name='HartfordWhaler']You attend Methodist services? The Roman Catechism (of the Council of Trent), which as promulgated by the same Council, is therefore infallible. It wrote that no worship outside the of the Catholic Church is at all pleasing to God. Do you go to methodist by free will? If you do, I saw that someone put an examination of conscience on here in this thread, which states that if you go to a protestant or heretical service, it is a mortal sin. This is what my examinations of conscience say, as well. I would strongly ask you to stop going to the protestant services, which are not only unpleasing to God but also are mortally sinful. [/quote]

I think this statement needs to be addressed, but I don't have time right now.

You can't PARTICIPATE in non-Catholic services. In other words, you can't do things like readings, and you certainly can't receive Communion. You can go as an observer, though.

About the only times it would be a sin in itself to go to a Protestant service is if at least one of the following criteria are met:

1. You go to a Protestant service INSTEAD OF Mass. But even then the sin would lie more in missing Mass.

2. Going to a Protestant service would be a danger to your faith, and you knew that but went anyway.

[quote name='Dave' date='Sep 2 2004, 04:48 PM'] You can't PARTICIPATE in non-Catholic services. In other words, you can't do things like readings, [/quote]
The [i]Directory on Ecumenism[/i] (1993, Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity) allows Catholics to read at non-Catholic services:

[quote name='no. 119']In liturgical celebrations taking place in other Churches and ecclesial Communities, Catholics are encouraged to take part in the psalms, responses, hymns and common actions of the Church in which they are guests.  If invited by their hosts, they may read a lesson or preach [/quote]

[quote name='p0lar_bear' date='Sep 2 2004, 03:52 PM'] The [i]Directory on Ecumenism[/i] (1993, Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity) allows Catholics to read at non-Catholic services:

[quote name='no. 119']In liturgical celebrations taking place in other Churches and ecclesial Communities, Catholics are encouraged to take part in the psalms, responses, hymns and common actions of the Church in which they are guests.  If invited by their hosts, they may read a lesson or preach [/quote] [/quote]
Ok, I stand corrected. I'd thought I'd read somewhere that readings couldn't be done by Catholics. I guess the source was wrong, though.

However, receiving Communion is definitely a no-no.

HomeTeamFamily

dave is right on what i was going to say on this thread so theres no need to repeat.....

i am interested to see what his citation for the original statement is though.......

Archaeology cat

Thank you SO much! I've been looking in my Catechism for that reference, and couldn't find it again. I mean, I'd talked to my priest about the fact that I attend both, and he told me it was okay, you know, as long as it doesn't endanger my faith, which it doesn't. And I don't go to the Methodist church instead of Mass, but I go to both. Can someone give me the exact references from a catechism concerning all this, just so I'm prepared next time? Thank you all so much! [COLOR=green]

Archaeology cat

Oh, and forgot to add, the Methodist church I attend doesn't do communion every Sunday, I think it's only once every 4 months (sad, I know), so there's really not much of a danger in me taking it there, I guess :)

Actually, I'd like to see non-Catholic Churches practice communion LESS. They are not receiving the Lord in communion and are practicing it for the wrong reasons.

I think something that's important and that many people I know unfortunately don't understand is that you can't go to a non-Catholic service INSTEAD of going to Mass on a Sunday...

Archaeology cat

Yeah, that seems to be the one people don't understand, about the fact that you still have to go to Mass, even if you go to a Protestant service. Again, I thank all of you. I love this place! :)

hmm... i've been invited to play in a protestant's praise band this Sunday and I participate in another protestant praise band every saturday night; although, i will still be attending my mass or a later one in the day. that's okay, right?

Re attending Mass vs protestant services. I used to attend Evensong in an Anglican Church every Sunday AFTER attending Mass of course.

*[b]The Precepts of the Church[/b]
The precepts of the Church are guidelines to Catholic life. They are sort of the six Commandments of the Church:
[b]1. You shall attend Mass on Sundays and holy days of obligation [/b] and rest from servile labor.
2. You shall confess your serious sins at least once a year.
3. You shall receive the sacrament of the Eucharist at least during the Easter season.
4. You shall obey the laws of the Church concerning marriage.
5. You shall observe the days of fasting and abstinence established by the Church.
6. You shall help to provide for the needs of the Church