An Old School Catholic Message Board

Profanity In Music

TempleofVesarius

Is using words like "hell" "damn" and a few others that arent totaly just gross WRONG to use to emphasise a point in music  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Jake Huether

Don't mean to be the wet blanket, but...

As Catholics we try to avoid sin no matter what the cost be. I don't know of an instance where profanity (i.e. words that are profane - and profane by definition is to treat (something sacred) with abuse, irreverence, or contempt ) is acceptable.

Therefore, while GD may be the kingdaddy of all profane words, even the smallest of profane words would be a sin (vinial or otherwise).

Thus, profanity should NEVER be used. And especially in music, where it will be listened to by countless thousands of people.

There are more unique, and less sinfull, ways of making a point serious or whatever.

Just my thoughts..

IcePrincessKRS

Aaaactuuuaaalllyyy.... vulgarities in and of themselves are not sinful, I could say "sh**" and while it would be crass, rude, and--more than likely--uncalled for, it may not necessarily be sinful. It's one of those things that depends on the circumstances, motive, etc. I recall this specifically from Theology 101 because there were a couple guys in the class who thought it was grand to find out that they could cuss and it wasn't necessarily a sin.

So while Jake is right, profanity shouldn't be used, everytime you use a swear word it's not necessarily going to be a sin--it doesn't hurt to confess it though. Humbling yourself always is a good way to break a bad habit. :(

IcePrincessKRS

Oh, and one more thing. Saying GD IS a sin because you are, in effect, asking God to beaver dam something/someone to hell. Dat ain't cool.

TempleofVesarius

what if you said beaver dam IT ALL TO HELL...

I said that and a lot more when i cut half of my finger off today

IcePrincessKRS

Yeah, you're not supposed to do that... either in fact. Ma told me about your finger. ;) I'm sorry you got cut.

littleflower+JMJ

you should Never embark on the name of "hell", it is a awful place that we should not be mentioning for words are powerful. whenever you encounter pain, always, always offer it up to God, for the souls in purgatory.....something bad turns then into good...

substitute another word, any word but i think profanity has no place whatsoever in anything. yeah, the word beaver dam seems harmless but no, nothing should be. and no matter what different definitions they may carry, the majority of the time theyare used sinfully.

God gave us a mouth, to speak beautiful praises, not curses or 'bad words"

and gave us ears to hear only good and pure things.....

profanity destroys both of that.....i voted no....for reasons jake also mentioned that were all true....

i listened to plenty of music with cuss words (in punk thats all you have) but i threw them out when i got tired of trashing my mind with those words and now never listen to music with "bad words" in it. and believe me, i know, my brother has been in bands for years and years and you can always find a nicer word to describe how you feel, it is possible....

thank you and God BLEss!

+JMJ

(haha don't think i'm mad but when i get going, i can't stop! hahaa and profanily is MY big no-no....ask any of my friends, they cuss in front of me, they know me and how i am.)

TempleofVesarius

ok...here is my point...

you say it is sinfull or at least wrong to use words like that in music, even if in an artistic mannor.

what if say, a painter paints a nude portrait of someone, is that also sinful and wrong or are some forms of art excluded from the rules?

GodsThespianChic

I don't like the idea of nude portraits. I think they are wrong because they exploit the human body. Yes, the body is beautiful and God made us to be naked...but then Adam and Eve messed that one up...and it's been considered wrong ever since then...I don't know...

TempleofVesarius

but there are nude paitings on the cistien(sp?) chaple

it all confuses me a little bit :)

GodsThespianChic

Yeah, that's also what I said for the profanity issue. Unless it's GD. That's a no no anytime and anywhere, no matter what. In my book, it's worse than the F word.

TempleofVesarius

I was refering to what littleflower said...about it all being wrong

The thing is sometimes it can be so artistically and tactfully placed that you dont even notice its there.

And not to slam on punk music, but im slamming punk music. It is the most primative, basic form of music I know...I have much trouble seeing the art in punk. Granted it does have some ENTERTAINMENT VALUE, but that isnt art. And yes in punk the F word seems to be the most used of all words, and its hardly ever tactfully or artistacally used.

Jake Huether

There's a difference though. Nudity started out good. Vulgarity in vocabularity never was good. So therefore, while nude art in some instance could be viewed by someone without a sin being involved, and in fact produce an awe in light of Gods creation, I fail to see how vulgarity could produce anything worth while.

And I was taught in my catachism class that all swear words were sinfull. Say you slice off your finger and yell Shi*, it wouldn't be mortal for obvious reasons (the word that is), but it still would be venial.

Katie, can you give me an instance where saying shi% might be NOT a sin? Or in that case, even productive for whatever reason? Venting is not a reason either, because there are plenty of vent words that aren't swear words. Lik FUge, or SHoot, or DArn.

littleflower+JMJ

I was refering to what littleflower said...about it all being wrong

The thing is sometimes it can be so artistically and tactfully placed that you dont even notice its there.

And not to slam on punk music, but im slamming punk music.  It is the most primative, basic form of music I know...I have much trouble seeing the art in punk.  Granted it does have some ENTERTAINMENT VALUE, but that isnt art.  And yes in punk the F word seems to be the most used of all words, and its hardly ever tactfully or artistacally used.

okay i was using punk as a example because thats the music i listen to..however i can chose ANY genre boyband/rap/rock that cusses and it still won't change the fact that a bad word IS a bad word.....

i really don't see the whole using "art" and bad words...i just don't see how its okay as long as your being "artistic"....it doesn't change the fact or the meaning any less or any more than it already was

expressing yourself in with profanity is a sorry way of expressing yourself, in short, its not a GOOD expression in music....my brother always said that and i agree

let me defend myself reall fast.....lol

as for punk, there is plenty of artistic elements in punk...but knowing what you said being it entertainment wise, i wan't talking about BLink 182 (since thats what ppl seem to think thats what it is...but its Not) when i said that, im' talking about Punk, not the posers or plastic punks..... :rolleyes::lol: i love that word, PLastiC PUNks! anyways, it depends what "punk" you listen to, the bands i listen to, they definilty have it, and believe me, i don't listen to punk for their one or two chords that they play ina little spunky song that makes them on mtv....i'm talking about the REAL punk...."basic elements" are nowhere to be found in my cds and in my fav bands, in fact i despise anything that doesn't show any talent whatsoever, anyone can playa G chord and make a song out of it, i listen to talent....only the best baby! punk is always misunderstood and sterotype but its because the lack of knowledge in the punk genre, in fact i only listen to punk because its the only "Real" music that i can listen too knowing that its "real" and actually "human", their not playing to become a rockstar and be on mtv, their playing because they love to play, their love for the music and their desire to make great music, money is not the thing for them, so their aren't playing for the wrong reasons... hehehe golly i soundlike i'm some punk.....i am i guesss......i despise the radio, no talent on there.....finding talent on the radio these days is like looking for a needle in a haystack....i've been listening to punk forever, and yeah, there are bands out there (*ahem*sum 41, another one) who ppl think is punk but it shows how little they actully know how deep it is...

now i'm just saying all this because i'm telling you why I listen to it, and you slammed it (but your probably slamming the Same punk that i'm slamming in mine! LOL so we might agree here!), but i wanted to clear my record so you don't think i'm a fake, i totally agree with you though, most of the punk that everyone gets to hear is what they expected to hear, music that doesn't make sense to them, or its not even punk, and just plain ChEeZZy, i like punk but i'm not everybody so if you don't see any point in punk thats okay, i don't mind.....we all have different tastes in music, which by the way makes everything soo interesting (like right now) lol

:lol: my english teacher would have been so proud of my using a simile....darn mr. burns, he failed me when i took his class! :lol::lol:

save the music ya'll!

Rock ON!

lol_grin.giflol_grin.gif