An Old School Catholic Message Board

Non-denominational = Individualism

dUSt

I was thinking about Christians who consider themselves "non-denominational". It appears that this idea is becoming extremely popular, especially among young people. Non-Denominational churches are popping up everywhere in great numbers.

If you look at the structure of Christianity from a historical standpoint, we have the early church. From that split off the Eastern church. A little later we have Protestantism split off. From Protestantism splits off multiple denominations. From those denominations split multiple smaller denominations. Here is where it gets difficult when trying to categorize exactly where the "non-denominational" people fit in. Some may have split off from the multiple denominations, but then again, I've known a lot of "Catholics" who've become non-denominational. It's more of a protest against organized religion in general--protesting both Catholicism and at the same time, the Protestant denominations.

So, what is the foundation? My answer? The self. Non-denominationalism is based on the self. It's a very selfish religion. It fit's in perfectly with today's modern culture which is all about what is best for [b]me[/b] in [b]my[/b] life. It's approach, although never admitted, is: "How can I change God to fit into my life" instead of "how can I change my life for God"?

Look at the definition of individualism:

[font="Times"][b]in·di·vid·u·al·ism[/b] [i](nd-vj--lzm) n. [/i] - 1. Belief in the primary importance of the individual and in the virtues of self-reliance and personal independence. Acts or an act based on this belief. 2. A doctrine holding that the interests of the individual should take precedence over the interests of the state or social group. [/font]

non-denominational = individualism

actually, it's individualism and "the importance of the self" that is characteristic of the very first divisions.

Exhibit A ------> Sola Scriptura

1337 k4th0l1x0r

I knew a lot of people who claimed that they were non-denominational and went to a 'non-denominational church' because it was called something like 'First Christian Church.' Usually the churches were affiliated with some rather obscure denomination and people were fooled, at least initially, that their church was truly independent.

Verry good point Dust.

This gave me a thought for a paper I have to write for school. I'm taking western civilizations and we have to write a reasurch paper, it can be on virtually anything in the western civilization. I had been thinking about the history of cathedrals but now I think I might wanna do the history of christianity. There's a whole chapeter on the catholic reformation in our book so I think I could get away with it. And I'm pretty sure I could find enough resources to make it 5 pages (thats the minimum). But anyways, thanks for bringing this up Dust, it could make for an interesting reasurch paper.

[quote name='1337 k4th0l1x0r' date='Sep 8 2004, 09:18 PM'] I knew a lot of people who claimed that they were non-denominational and went to a 'non-denominational church' because it was called something like 'First Christian Church.' Usually the churches were affiliated with some rather obscure denomination and people were fooled, at least initially, that their church was truly independent. [/quote]
If you look into it, most of the Churches are affliated and have a basis for their theology in the Reformation.

Also, the process for the Start of these Churches was begun by [url="http://www.willowcreek.org/default.asp"]Willow Creek (Warning Protestant Wed site Non-Denominational)[/url].

THe first pastor went around with a survey to determine the way people thought Church should be, and built a production around it. Seriously slick, but in the end shallow in my mind. Huge but empty at the same time.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Theoketos' date='Sep 8 2004, 10:14 PM'] Also, the process for the Start of these Churches was begun by [url="http://www.willowcreek.org/default.asp"]Willow Creek (Warning Protestant Wed site Non-Denominational)[/url]. [/quote]
Hey, Willow Creek is very close by me... I know friends who go there, and they even say the "church" is more like a business than a church. I've even heard they do peoples taxes there... :blink: :huh:

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Sep 9 2004, 12:31 AM'] Hey, Willow Creek is very close by me... I know friends who go there, and they even say the "church" is more like a business than a church. I've even heard they do peoples taxes there... :blink: :huh: [/quote]
I believe that is the church that Fr Burns and myself were invited to to see a pre-screening of The Passion. Very rock concert-ish.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

And that place is WAY too big to be a church... it has it's own auditorium and gym and lots of other stuff and it doesn't even have a school attached to it! I might want to go there to gather data, so to say... Make some comparisons...