Mrs. Bro. Adam Posted September 15, 2004 Posted September 15, 2004 At 8:05 this morning, I dropped my beloved cat off at the vet to get her paws declawed I feel just awful about it! :sadder:I feel like I've fed her to savages
homeschoolmom Posted September 15, 2004 Posted September 15, 2004 Whew... I thought you were going to say you were going to have her put down... why are you having her declawed?
Phazzan Posted September 15, 2004 Posted September 15, 2004 Shame on you MBA! Just think about what you've put that poor cat through... Poor poor cat
cmotherofpirl Posted September 15, 2004 Posted September 15, 2004 So if you feel aweful, why are you doing it?
Mrs. Bro. Adam Posted September 15, 2004 Author Posted September 15, 2004 $$$$ She's already cost us over $200 in damages to our apartment, and we've lost the deposit because of her. She's an indoor cat, so she doesn't really need them to defend herself, cause she's not even allowed out of the apartment. We would've had it done last year, but we didn't think we had the $$$ then, but she's cost us more than we can handle. So, she's gotta get declawed. I'm doing it because I love her. She's constantly getting scolded and getting in trouble for using her instincts, so, by getting her declawed, she won't be getting scolded or in trouble for scratching up things, cause her instincts are kicking in. I love her, and I know she's going to be in pain
homeschoolmom Posted September 15, 2004 Posted September 15, 2004 Well, I had to take HSbaby in for his checkup yesterday (read: shots). I know it's painful, but we do it because we love 'em... same with cats.
Carrie Posted September 15, 2004 Posted September 15, 2004 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Sep 15 2004, 10:51 AM'] Well, I had to take HSbaby in for his checkup yesterday (read: shots). I know it's painful, but we do it because we love 'em... same with cats. [/quote] agreed
Mrs. Bro. Adam Posted September 15, 2004 Author Posted September 15, 2004 All she did on the way there was cry It just makes my heart ache. I love her sooo much...she's like my second best friend. She's who got me through those long lonely nights when Adam was out of town. She's who got me through those days when I was sick and Adam was home. She's who made me not feel so lonely when I came home, because I knew she'd be waiting there for me. And now I'm causing her to endure pain. I feel like such an awful person!!!
homeschoolmom Posted September 15, 2004 Posted September 15, 2004 Nah, don't feel that way, Teresa. It's what's best for her. And be glad you aren't there having to look in her face while they do it. She'll forgive you... :hearts:
Carrie Posted September 15, 2004 Posted September 15, 2004 Think of what HSMom said. She loves HSBaby, but HSBaby has to get shots to make sure he's healthy. He's being caused pain but it's temporary and for the best in the long run. It's the same for your cat. It may hurt for awhile but she'll be ok afterwards.
Piccoli Fiori JMJ Posted September 15, 2004 Posted September 15, 2004 Sorry to bring more sadness along, but I had to bring my dying kitty to the vet with my mom, and I had to hold her, and all she did was cry and cry, and you could hear the pain in her mewing, and right before we got to the vet, she died while I was holding her, it was sad...
Piccoli Fiori JMJ Posted September 15, 2004 Posted September 15, 2004 Just be happy your kitty is alive and well! She will be in a little pain for a little while, but it will go away, just be super nice to kitty when kitty gets back!
Phazzan Posted September 15, 2004 Posted September 15, 2004 [quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Sep 15 2004, 09:02 AM'] Sorry to bring more sadness along, but I had to bring my dying kitty to the vet with my mom, and I had to hold her, and all she did was cry and cry, and you could hear the pain in her mewing, and right before we got to the vet, she died while I was holding her, it was sad... [/quote]
homeschoolmom Posted September 15, 2004 Posted September 15, 2004 We had to have one of our cats put down when I was in high school... that was a really sad day for a number of reasons... June 25, 1985. <sigh>
Mrs. Bro. Adam Posted September 15, 2004 Author Posted September 15, 2004 [quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Sep 15 2004, 11:02 AM'] Sorry to bring more sadness along, but I had to bring my dying kitty to the vet with my mom, and I had to hold her, and all she did was cry and cry, and you could hear the pain in her mewing, and right before we got to the vet, she died while I was holding her, it was sad... [/quote] That's sooo sad!
Mrs. Bro. Adam Posted September 15, 2004 Author Posted September 15, 2004 Only 25 hours left before I get to see her again.
Lil Red Posted September 15, 2004 Posted September 15, 2004 my two kitties need to be declawed - kind of the same situation you're in, mba. plus, they need to be declawed before we get a house and nice furniture. i don't want them to wreck it.
Mrs. Bro. Adam Posted September 15, 2004 Author Posted September 15, 2004 It's literally one of the hardest things I had to do! In fact, I was fighting going back and grabbing her, and apologizing her and loving her! But I knew that she was going to cost us more money than what we have.
StColette Posted September 15, 2004 Posted September 15, 2004 awww don't feel bad Teresa As a future Vet I promise that the kitty didn't feel a thing when they declawed her. She's going to be just fine There are only two things to try and keep a kitty from clawing up everything and that's either to have them declawed or take them to the vet every 3 or 4 months to have these special little plastic covers put over their claws. Either procedure doesn't hurt the kitty. Some Vets prefer to not declaw cats because it takes away the cats ability to defend itself if necessary. But normally most cats who stay outside for long periods of the day are not declawed because they don't tend to scratch up everything. So they use the alternative to put the little plastic covers over the claws. I assure you that you did nothing wrong and the kitty is fine And Angela I'm sorry to hear about your kitty
Mrs. Bro. Adam Posted September 15, 2004 Author Posted September 15, 2004 I know, but she'll be feeling pain in the morning
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now