An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Statement From Catholic Priests

MC Just

I'm doing something about this carp.

We recieved this this last sunday...

As, priests, we are concerned that some Catholics feel morally bound to vote for or against candidates based on their position on only one issue---Abortion. We believe that it is not necessarily sinful for Catholics to vote for politicians who support legalized abortion, as long as they are voting for that candidate for other, equally weighty, reasons. (see Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, Vatican official). The right to life, although fundamental, is one among many life issues. "Each person also has the right to the conditions for living a decent life---faith and family life, food and shelter, education and employment, health care and housing"(U.S. Catholic Bishops). Unfortunately. no curernt candidate advocates a perfect pro-life agenda. Catholics are encouraged, therefore, to examine candidates"on a full range of issues, as well as on their personal integrity, philosophy, and performance" (U.S. Catholic Bishop). In an imperfect world, voting is neither simple nor easy. As American Catholics, we should be as well- informed about our candidates as we are free to vote for them.

This was by some Priests in texas in repsponse to Cardinal Ratzinger's memo. .

These people are taking Cardinal Ratzinger's memo way out of context......

Fiat_Voluntas_Tua

Blessed be God!

I wonder if some people will use this to Justify voting for a Pro-Abortion politician by saying he has good integrity and performance?

With Charity,

Andy

They should just spell it out, "you have to weigh the issues like making sure your capital gains tax is small enough so you can give us a bigger cut, or your luxury tax won't mess up me getting a new car. Those are just as important as worrying about killing a bunch of children that you can't see."

Humaniziam rears it's ugly head. This hurts all those priests trying to live for God, not man. I too loose a little bit of trust in the collar when I hear junk like that letter. The gates of hell will not prevail, but they will sure rattle at times.

AfroNova No Limit Soldier

Don't lose hope.

Those old hippie unorthodox liberal progressive priests and catholics are dying off.

The fullness of truth will emerge. We are a new generation. Orthodox & fighting with our ancient fervor.

We're still here, MC Just.

The gates of hell will not prevail.

SANCTE MARIA, ORA PRO NOBIS!

AfroNova No Limit Soldier

Yeah...

We get the parents, priests, & leaders that we deserve.

Just pray that we get more priests that love Mary.

Mary, help us to love you more. Lead us to your Son. For all priests!

[quote name='Iacobus' date='Sep 21 2004, 11:32 AM'] Be careful Ken. Though they are wrong they are still priests and bishops worthy of respect. [/quote]
I wasnt too harsh, I just corrected them..

[quote name='MC Just' date='Sep 21 2004, 12:08 PM'] I wasnt too harsh, I just corrected them.. [/quote]
I didn't think you were. I just was reminding you. SOmetimes I forget things like that when I get upset.

[quote name='Iacobus' date='Sep 21 2004, 12:16 PM'] I didn't think you were. I just was reminding you. SOmetimes I forget things like that when I get upset. [/quote]
yeah i know... I do too. lol

[quote name='MC Just' date='Sep 21 2004, 10:57 AM'] These dissenter priests and bishops have weakened my Faith in the Church in america. I dont even want to be here anymore.. [/quote]
Don't loose hope man. I often feel like that myself. There are other countries in this world(Italy, France to name a few) that are in even worst shape than us believe it or not. But like AfroNova said we are the new generation fighting for christ and his Church and we have to continue to fight no matter how bad things
may seem to be.

God bless.