MC Just Posted September 21, 2004 Posted September 21, 2004 I'm doing something about this carp. We recieved this this last sunday... As, priests, we are concerned that some Catholics feel morally bound to vote for or against candidates based on their position on only one issue---Abortion. We believe that it is not necessarily sinful for Catholics to vote for politicians who support legalized abortion, as long as they are voting for that candidate for other, equally weighty, reasons. (see Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, Vatican official). The right to life, although fundamental, is one among many life issues. "Each person also has the right to the conditions for living a decent life---faith and family life, food and shelter, education and employment, health care and housing"(U.S. Catholic Bishops). Unfortunately. no curernt candidate advocates a perfect pro-life agenda. Catholics are encouraged, therefore, to examine candidates"on a full range of issues, as well as on their personal integrity, philosophy, and performance" (U.S. Catholic Bishop). In an imperfect world, voting is neither simple nor easy. As American Catholics, we should be as well- informed about our candidates as we are free to vote for them. This was by some Priests in texas in repsponse to Cardinal Ratzinger's memo. . These people are taking Cardinal Ratzinger's memo way out of context......
Fiat_Voluntas_Tua Posted September 21, 2004 Posted September 21, 2004 Blessed be God! I wonder if some people will use this to Justify voting for a Pro-Abortion politician by saying he has good integrity and performance? With Charity, Andy
MC Just Posted September 21, 2004 Author Posted September 21, 2004 These dissenter priests and bishops have weakened my Faith in the Church in america. I dont even want to be here anymore..
geo Posted September 21, 2004 Posted September 21, 2004 They should just spell it out, "you have to weigh the issues like making sure your capital gains tax is small enough so you can give us a bigger cut, or your luxury tax won't mess up me getting a new car. Those are just as important as worrying about killing a bunch of children that you can't see." Humaniziam rears it's ugly head. This hurts all those priests trying to live for God, not man. I too loose a little bit of trust in the collar when I hear junk like that letter. The gates of hell will not prevail, but they will sure rattle at times.
AfroNova No Limit Soldier Posted September 21, 2004 Posted September 21, 2004 Don't lose hope. Those old hippie unorthodox liberal progressive priests and catholics are dying off. The fullness of truth will emerge. We are a new generation. Orthodox & fighting with our ancient fervor. We're still here, MC Just. The gates of hell will not prevail. SANCTE MARIA, ORA PRO NOBIS!
MC Just Posted September 21, 2004 Author Posted September 21, 2004 They put the memo in the newspaper here, and I repsponded to it. My response should be in tommorows paper..
Iacobus Posted September 21, 2004 Posted September 21, 2004 Be careful Ken. Though they are wrong they are still priests and bishops worthy of respect.
AfroNova No Limit Soldier Posted September 21, 2004 Posted September 21, 2004 Yeah... We get the parents, priests, & leaders that we deserve. Just pray that we get more priests that love Mary. Mary, help us to love you more. Lead us to your Son. For all priests!
MC Just Posted September 21, 2004 Author Posted September 21, 2004 [quote name='Iacobus' date='Sep 21 2004, 11:32 AM'] Be careful Ken. Though they are wrong they are still priests and bishops worthy of respect. [/quote] I wasnt too harsh, I just corrected them..
Iacobus Posted September 21, 2004 Posted September 21, 2004 [quote name='MC Just' date='Sep 21 2004, 12:08 PM'] I wasnt too harsh, I just corrected them.. [/quote] I didn't think you were. I just was reminding you. SOmetimes I forget things like that when I get upset.
MC Just Posted September 21, 2004 Author Posted September 21, 2004 [quote name='Iacobus' date='Sep 21 2004, 12:16 PM'] I didn't think you were. I just was reminding you. SOmetimes I forget things like that when I get upset. [/quote] yeah i know... I do too. lol
Guest T-Bone Posted September 21, 2004 Posted September 21, 2004 My response would be anything but charitable...
MC Just Posted September 21, 2004 Author Posted September 21, 2004 I cant begin to explain how angry these things make me.
LSW Posted September 22, 2004 Posted September 22, 2004 [quote name='MC Just' date='Sep 21 2004, 10:57 AM'] These dissenter priests and bishops have weakened my Faith in the Church in america. I dont even want to be here anymore.. [/quote] Don't loose hope man. I often feel like that myself. There are other countries in this world(Italy, France to name a few) that are in even worst shape than us believe it or not. But like AfroNova said we are the new generation fighting for christ and his Church and we have to continue to fight no matter how bad things may seem to be. God bless.
Ash Wednesday Posted September 23, 2004 Posted September 23, 2004 [quote name='AfroNova No Limit Soldier' date='Sep 21 2004, 11:15 AM'] Don't lose hope. Those old hippie unorthodox liberal progressive priests and catholics are dying off. [/quote] I'm sorry, but I have to admit that statement made me laugh for some twisted reason. Probably because of the bluntness of it. I realize I have a sick and dark sense of humor at times. -_- With that being said, I'm sick of all this soft-talk "conscience krap." Give the heterodox an inch, and they will make a mile. And it's NOT just one issue, people!!!! There are specifically, five. Abortion. Gay marriage. Euthanasia. Stem Cell Research. Cloning. If we don't get in the habit of trying to stop the first one, the rest are going to slide on that slippery slope, too. It's already starting. :shame: But the good news is what was said in the thread. The younger Catholics are "rebelling" against the elders for orthodoxy, and God always has the last word.
Ash Wednesday Posted September 23, 2004 Posted September 23, 2004 [quote name='azaelia' date='Sep 22 2004, 11:23 PM']EEEERRRRRGGGGG!!!! :angry:[/quote] Is that the best Howard Dean impersonation you could come up with? Sorry. I couldn't help myself. Seriously, it does make me want to
MC Just Posted September 23, 2004 Author Posted September 23, 2004 (edited) Notice in the letter it says "American Catholics" Sheesh why dont they just split off from Rome like the Scismatics and Protestants and form their own sect. Instead they are trying to "convert" the entire Church into something totally contrary to the gospel..Some of the dissenters actually want the people to be able to vote for the Bishops they want and even vote for the Pope of their Choice.That is what the term "American Catholic" brings to mind. Hmmmmm.. I wonder if this has anything to do with the "False (political)Messianism" mentioned in the Catechism. Edited September 23, 2004 by MC Just
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now