An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mrs. Bro Adam

mulls

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Sep 24 2004, 08:02 AM'] maybe your sig?? [/quote]
Mrs. Werent you a Protestant before? Dont you think it could come over as hypocritical to others?

[quote name='MorphRC' date='Sep 24 2004, 07:48 AM'] Mrs. Werent you a Protestant before? Dont you think it could come over as hypocritical to others? [/quote]
I understand it to mean ignorant as in lack essential knowledge [Catholicism]. not ignorant as in rude.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Sep 24 2004, 09:24 PM'] I understand it to mean ignorant as in lack essential knowledge [Catholicism]. not ignorant as in rude. [/quote]
Ignorant means - lack of knowledge. Where did you get, rude from? :huh:

Still. I was just asking. No contempt.

[quote name='MorphRC' date='Sep 24 2004, 07:59 AM'] Ignorant means - lack of knowledge. Where did you get, rude from? :huh:

Still. I was just asking. No contempt. [/quote]
Here [ in Penna at least ] if you say someone is ignorant it can mean two different things:
a] lacking knowledge
or
b] rude

Thats why I am clarifying, because I didn't know if you knew that. I didn't want it interpreted the wrong way. Just because we both speak English doesn't mean we attach the same meaning to the same words. :)

Main Entry: ig·no·rant
Pronunciation: 'ig-n(&-)r&nt
Function: adjective
1 a : destitute of knowledge or education <an ignorant society>; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified <parents ignorant of modern mathematics> b : resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence <ignorant errors>

[url="http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=ignorant"]http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book...ary&va=ignorant[/url]

Differing meaning. Ok.

I meant the first meaning, my one.

I am sure you meant the first meaning, but other people from here might mistakenly attach the second one.

Didn't want to start a debate on a silly topic, when other ones are much more interesting. :)

Edited by cmotherofpirl

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Sep 24 2004, 09:54 PM'] I am sure you meant the first meaning, but other people from here might mistakenly attach the second one.

Didn't want to start a debate on a silly topic, when other ones are much more interesting. :) [/quote]
I think that might have been the cause of some arguements. Not my fault your dialect of english is screwed up.

:P

Kilroy the Ninja

Ok folks. Let's debate something here or this thread risks getting moved to one of the [i]other[/i] boards.

Have a nice day!