With heart and voice,
In Church & school & home:
"Long live the Shepherd of the Flock!
Long live the Pope of Rome!"
Almighty Father bless his work,
Protect him in his ways,
Receive his prayer, fulfill his hopes,
And grant him length of days!

You've GOT to be kidding me! The popes praises sound again and yet again? His rule is over space and time? His throne the heart of men? I THINK I WANT TO BE SICK!! These are ALL things that belong to GOD.

Before I comment, I'd like to ask for an author, and then I'd like to ask why you'd think some poem conveys our beliefs?

Anyways I looked over it so lets see.

"His praises sound
Again and yet again:"

No one has ever praised anyone else..... yes the pope is praise worthy. So is your mother, and your father, but you don't object to that. Receiving praise is not a thing for God alone (although all praises that we can give should be for the greater glory of God).

"His rule is over space and time:
His throne the heart of men"

The pope's rule is over space and time? This seems a bit extreme, but it can be perfectibly sensible if you realize that the papacy is above time as it will last into the end of the world and it is above space because there are many who are under the pope outside the physical Catholic Church. There are many who are saved outside the physical Church. In their will to follow God, they are subject to the papacy, even if they don't know of it's existance.

His throne the heart of men. This is just a statement that the pope is in our hearts. We love him, and we love his role in the Church as the Vicar of Christ, and the shpeard of the Church on Earth.

God bless,

Mikey

Guest JeffCR07

Well said, Mikey.

Icthus, while I will (as Mikey has already done) admit that the wording of "his rule is over space and time/ hist throne the hearts of men" is a bit extreme, I think even you must understand that it must at least be attempted to be read in the light of all the teachings of the Catholic Church before it can immediately be decried. Looking at it as Mikey has done is a wise way that reconciles it with other Church teaching, and prevents it from being read in a way that places the Pope in a role higher than or equal to God, but rather, emphasises the role of the Pope as a Servant of God.

duude.. i love that song. that's gonna be sung as a drinking song at my 21st bday party along with that hillaire beloc song about pelagius! :cheers:

by the way, it's just a cool Catholic thing that doesn't dabble in the uptightedness of making every word and phrase precisely theologically correct. it's the spirit of it. rule over time and space isn't some theological definition of his role... it's a poetic interesting way of saying God protects him from error so that he can be trusted to rule the universal timeless Church without screwin it up. but to say all that isn't fun and doesn't make for a good poem or song. ;)

anyway, thank you for the really cool song :cool:

:elvis:

I found the hymn on EWTN [url="http://www.ewtn.com/jp2/papal3/long_live.htm"]http://www.ewtn.com/jp2/papal3/long_live.htm[/url] but no author was given

Edited by StColette

[b]Incredible![/b] Romanism lifts the pope up to the level of God, and doesn't even think twice about it, but rather makes excuses!

Praise God for delivering me out of your hands.. Edited by ICTHUS

Yeah, whatever ICTHUS. You've turned into a typical anti-Catholic and are spewing typical anti-Catholic rhetoric. You could take a few lessons from Briguy or other non-Catholics who don't feel the need to having a loathing hate for something you refuse to be charitable and open minded about.

There is a difference between non-Catholic and anti-Catholic. Deliberate arrogance or ignorance is what separates the two.

You haven't defended your position, offered evidence, answered rebuttals, or been willing to accept that Catholics just might believe what they tell you. The circle you are slipping into with Boettner, McCarthy et.al. offers bitterness and frustration. I'd prefer to see you as a charitable non-Catholic than a rabid anti-Catholic.

Edited by Brother Adam

[quote name='ICTHUS' date='Sep 28 2004, 08:55 PM'] [b]Incredible![/b] Romanism lifts the pope up to the level of God, and doesn't even think twice about it, but rather makes excuses!

Praise God for delivering me out of your hands.. [/quote]
1. Quit calling the Catholic Church Romanism! It's VERY disrespectful!

2. Catholicism does NOT put the pope on the same level as God. You know that deep down! You always have -- even when you weren't Catholic!

3. God didn't deliver you out of the Catholic Church. Satan led you out of it, and your ignorance, feelings, and opinions contributed to it as well.

[quote]I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."[/quote]

[b]Incredible![/b] The Bible lifts the pope up to the level to bind and loose in heaven (i.e. His rule is over space and time) and doesn't even think twice about it! The outrage!!! hehehe :P

Nice try Icky.

[quote]He bears alone the Shepherd Staff,
The champion of the Lord.[/quote]

If the Pope is the Champion of the Lord then he cannot be the Lord, just a thought.

[quote name='ICTHUS' date='Sep 28 2004, 07:55 PM'] [b]Incredible![/b] Romanism lifts the pope up to the level of God, and doesn't even think twice about it, but rather makes excuses!

Praise God for delivering me out of your hands.. [/quote]
I see in your words that we lift the Pope up as equal to God. Which words in the song, precisely, state that the Pope is equal to God? Please post the words that say this, and do a word-by-word definition of each of them, because none of the words I see there have anything to do with equality. If you're right, it should be easily provable by the text, if not absolutely apparent, because we don't even give a "second thought" to it. It must just be glaring us in the face.