An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hymn To The Pope

ICTHUS

[quote name='Apotheoun']As I indicated before the problems inherent in the Calvinist and Lutheran views on justification center on the decrees of the Sixth Ecumenical Council, not Chalcedon, although the tendency to deny the dyoenergetic nature of the process of theosis would also involve the definition of Chalcedon, at least secondarily.  The Sixth Ecumenical Council of Constantinople III taught that there are two wills and natural energies in Christ, the God-man; and this dyoenergetic reality holds as well for all who are incorporated into His body by grace.  Man's actions must be free or salvation is not possible, for his will, like the Lord's human will, must concur under the power of grace in his own salvation for the incarnation to be effective.

As I said earlier the justified man is an icon of the incarnate Logos, and so, just as the incarnate Logos was one divine person in two natures, divine and human; so too, the man justified by grace is one created person in two natures, the human nature, which he possesses naturally by his creation, and the divine nature, which he possesses through his participation in the uncreated energies of God.  Just as Christ's human will had to cooperate with the divine will in a perfect communion of energy, so too, the human will of the man justified by grace must cooperate with the divine energies he has received in order to be perfectly configured to the eternal Son of God.  Only by the cooperation of man's created will, perfected by God's uncreated energies, can he be elevated into the uncreated life of the Triune God. [/quote]
I do not see how the Calvinistic system necessarily denies the cooperation of the Creator’s and creations’ wills. Earlier you seemed to be claiming that this was because Calvinism teaches a lack of free will on the part of man, thus there would be nothing to cooperate. Since this supposition is false the argument fails.

Further, if this is about man, this would not lead to Christological heresies, as you claimed earlier when you said “it leads to various Christological heresies.”

[quote name='Apotheoun']To understand this better you might want to read the writings of St. Maximos the Confessor, in particular his "Ambigua," and also the writings of St. Gregory Palamas, in particular his "Triads," and his "150 Chapters." [/quote]
I will consider doing so.

To be honest, this discourse, though little has occurred, has left be with a bad taste in my mouth. I am going to withdraw at this point. I feel that very little real communication has occurred. I have tried to address you on every point, and it seems like you pick and choose through what I have to say, often applying what I said as if I said it to issues other than I was commenting on (whether on purpose, I have no way of knowing, I do not mean that as an accusation.) I will read further responses you might see it fit to post and consider them, but have no plans at this point to respond.

I might be committing the same fallacy by pointing this out, but saying that you are not going to post any more is silly to me.

Please forgive the bad taste that some of my brothers have given you.

Please pray for us that we may listen to what wisedom you may have.

Long live the Pope, btw, you keeps me accountable!

:banana: