cmotherofpirl Posted October 31, 2004 Posted October 31, 2004 When I lived in Hamilton Ontario, I was totally insulted when they local populace called me a "southerner".
heyyoimjohnny Posted October 31, 2004 Posted October 31, 2004 LOL! Everything's a southerner to them! Canadians are stupid. Dangit. I'm part Canadian. *sigh* And to make it worse, French-Canadian. That's like a double whammie.
cmotherofpirl Posted October 31, 2004 Posted October 31, 2004 J-aime Quebec et St Anne de Beaupre' rocks!!!
Paladin D Posted October 31, 2004 Posted October 31, 2004 [quote name='heyyoimjohnny' date='Oct 31 2004, 10:24 AM']Canadians are stupid.[/quote] Becareful what you say, we got Canadians on this forum (I'm not one of them though).
CatholicCrusader Posted November 27, 2004 Posted November 27, 2004 (edited) ... I hate the South. Edit: I'm orginally from CT, by the way, but I unfortunately live in GA. Edited November 27, 2004 by CatholicCrusader
Balthazor Posted November 27, 2004 Posted November 27, 2004 I live in Wisconsin, and we had a girl in our class from somewhere in the South, I am thinking South Carolina. And she would get sooooo mad because it gets so cold here, and when it snows we still go to school. She was cranky through the whole winter but especially when we got a couple inches of snow, then she would be like : "If it snowed even a half and inch back at home school would be off." Apparently southerners can't drive on snow. They slide into the ditch.
crusader1234 Posted November 27, 2004 Posted November 27, 2004 [quote name='heyyoimjohnny' date='Oct 31 2004, 09:24 AM'] LOL! Everything's a southerner to them! Canadians are stupid. Dangit. I'm part Canadian. *sigh* And to make it worse, French-Canadian. That's like a double whammie. [/quote] Hey, I'm actually very angred by this. I'm one of the Canadians on the board, and this is a total slap in the face. In the context of Cmom's story, being that she was in Canadian, she actually was a southerner (I hear they don't teach geography in America). Canadians do not call anybody Southerners other than Americans really, who are actually South of us (with apologies to Alaska). I'm sad for you, that you feel the sort of nationalism that makes you ashamed of your heritage. Being ashamed of being Canadian - or French Canadian - really makes me think that you need to examine why you feel this way, as it is not healthy and totally offensive. In the future, try not to make blanket statements that are totally unfounded and offensive. -Rich
jmjtina Posted November 27, 2004 Posted November 27, 2004 [quote name='rachael' date='Sep 27 2004, 05:03 PM'] Refer to every soft drink as a Coke. [/quote] I thought that's the way it is EVERYWHERE!? [quote]Put Tabasco on everything.[/quote] Um, it's pico de gallo....... [quote]For New York Yankees: Act as if the whole state of New York is New York City. In other words, if they say “Yo, I’m from upstate New Yoik!”, say “Well, I’ll be damned, my wife has always wanted to see a Broadway show!”[/quote] thanks for the warning......I would be guilty of that.....gotta......practice now. [quote]Never simply “do” something. Be “fixin to do” something.[/quote] doesn't everybody? [quote]Offer to send 'em a bottle of fresh air.[/quote] it's the thought that counts. [quote]When invited to dinner, offer to bring dessert. Show up with a box of Moon Pies. . .preferably the banana ones.[/quote] no, it's a pack of apple pies, Mrs. Bairds.....right? [quote]Name all of your children "Bubba". (or just call em that!)[/quote] it's chico, or chica....... [quote]Tell them you don't have an accent, they do.[/quote] Well, they do! [quote]Be sure to include "yes/no ma'am/sir" in all conversations.[/quote] It's called being polite..... [quote]Only use landmarks and ramble on when giving directions. "Now go down Jeff Davis Highway and turn left at where the Chevron station used to be. I think they turned it into a Amoco. Or maybe a BP. Anyway, turn right there..." "You said left." "Did I? Well, turn left there and follow it until you see a big fish on your left. I remember when that fish used to be on the other side of town.."[/quote] Well, that's how I would like MY direction..... :angry: [quote]Ask them if it's still snowing up North. Then tell 'em you went driving around in your convertible this weekend.[/quote] it's a truck.....to the beach..... -_- Pax! :crackup:
Balthazor Posted November 27, 2004 Posted November 27, 2004 I drive in the winter in the snow, in below zero weather with the windows cranked down, and the polkas cranked up....on my way to the ski hill. I feel bad for people who don't have snow. It is a wonderful thing.......I mean it is like dresses the earth in a baptismal garment. Everything is white and new and beautiful and glistening.....Honestly I think the trouble of snow is worth the benefit.
cmotherofpirl Posted November 27, 2004 Posted November 27, 2004 [quote name='crusader1234' date='Nov 27 2004, 01:48 AM'] Hey, I'm actually very angred by this. I'm one of the Canadians on the board, and this is a total slap in the face. In the context of Cmom's story, being that she was in Canadian, she actually was a southerner (I hear they don't teach geography in America). Canadians do not call anybody Southerners other than Americans really, who are actually South of us (with apologies to Alaska). I'm sad for you, that you feel the sort of nationalism that makes you ashamed of your heritage. Being ashamed of being Canadian - or French Canadian - really makes me think that you need to examine why you feel this way, as it is not healthy and totally offensive. In the future, try not to make blanket statements that are totally unfounded and offensive. -Rich [/quote] I think he was just kidding.
franciscanheart Posted December 15, 2004 Posted December 15, 2004 bump because this thread really made me happy
azaelia Posted December 15, 2004 Posted December 15, 2004 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Nov 27 2004, 02:06 AM'] I think he was just kidding. [/quote] As someone who knows him personally, I'm pretty sure he was kidding too.
Colleen Posted December 15, 2004 Posted December 15, 2004 [quote name='Balthazor' date='Nov 26 2004, 11:35 PM']I live in Wisconsin, and we had a girl in our class from somewhere in the South, I am thinking South Carolina. And she would get sooooo mad because it gets so cold here, and when it snows we still go to school. She was cranky through the whole winter but especially when we got a couple inches of snow, then she would be like : "If it snowed even a half and inch back at home school would be off." Apparently southerners can't drive on snow. They slide into the ditch.[/quote] I'm from Wisconsin, too. If we have 8 inches of snow on the ground and there's a -39 degree windchill, they'll still make us go to school. And driving in the snow is an art.
franciscanheart Posted December 16, 2004 Posted December 16, 2004 if the roads ice here, no one leaves their house. except maybe on foot and with sleds in hand.
rachael Posted December 16, 2004 Author Posted December 16, 2004 [quote name='CatholicCrusader' date='Nov 26 2004, 11:28 PM'] ... I hate the South. Edit: I'm orginally from CT, by the way, but I unfortunately live in GA. [/quote] gee thanks....as i live in georgia :angry:
Robbi Posted December 16, 2004 Posted December 16, 2004 Back to the original topic - I dont know much about Americn History (well maybe more than Australian!!) but I use to call all Americans in general YANKS. It may be just an Australian thing that we call them that, but some have found it offensive. So can someone please fill me in why some Americans find being it offensive being called a yank!
rachael Posted December 16, 2004 Author Posted December 16, 2004 because yanks are the people in the northeastern part of the US
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now