An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why do catholics...

noncatholicname

Guest Aluigi

how are we making you feel like dirt? perhaps we would like you to understand more about the Church we believe Christ established, but are there ad hominem attacks or something? if so we need to lay the smackdown on those people, cuz around these parts we practice something known as charity (love). Anyway, what are we doing to make you feel like dirt?

noncatholicname

[quote name='Aluigi' date='Oct 2 2004, 06:26 PM'] how are we making you feel like dirt? perhaps we would like you to understand more about the Church we believe Christ established, but are there ad hominem attacks or something? if so we need to lay the smackdown on those people, cuz around these parts we practice something known as charity (love). Anyway, what are we doing to make you feel like dirt? [/quote]
What if I don't want to understand more? It always starts as I'm right and your wrong and a heritic. How is that making someone understand?

And you didn't answer my question.

[quote name='noncatholicname' date='Oct 2 2004, 03:52 PM'] Why do catholics feel that they have to go to evangelical forums and make us all feel like dirt? [/quote]
I'm not sure. I've only posted on Phatmass and Catholicboard.

[quote name='noncatholicname' date='Oct 2 2004, 04:32 PM'] What if I don't want to understand more? It always starts as I'm right and your wrong and a heritic. How is that making someone understand?

And you didn't answer my question. [/quote]
Vincible ignorance is never a good thing.

God bless,
Todd

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='noncatholicname' date='Oct 2 2004, 07:52 PM'] Why do catholics feel that they have to go to evangelical forums and make us all feel like dirt? [/quote]
I apologize that someone has made you feel bad. Rarely is that the intention.
What board are you on?

Edited by cmotherofpirl

Guest Aluigi

would u not like to honestly seek the truth? i take the time to try to find out what and why protestants believe, why don't you take the time to find out what Catholics believe.

Jesus prayed for His people to all be ONE just as He is one with the Father. Why wouldn't you want to understand more about what other Christians believe.

Read Fr. Pontifex's post pinned at the top of this phorum.. here at PhatMass we don't go around calling other ppl heretics. But there are protestants who will come to Catholics and call US heretics, so if some Catholic is coming to you calling you a heretic, please understand that doesn't rep every Catholic.

though Catholiocism teaches protestantISM is heresy, you are not necessarily culpable for the sin of heresy. now, Martin Luther might have committed the sin of heresy, but likely not you. That is why we wouldn't call you a heretic.

[quote name='noncatholicname' date='Oct 2 2004, 05:52 PM'] Why do catholics feel that they have to go to evangelical forums and make us all feel like dirt? [/quote]
First of all, it is not the intentions of any Catholic who goes onto an evangelical forum and make the people there feel like dirt. If a Catholic does go there and is rude or uncharitable towards someone then they aren't representing the Church the way they should be. Charity is most important when having religious debates.

Secondly, why do Catholics go to these forums ? for the same reasons non-Catholics come on to Catholic forums. We either come to ask questions or to correct a misconception that some non-Catholics have about certain things the Catholic Church teaches.

[quote]It always starts as I'm right and your wrong and a heritic. How is that making someone understand?[/quote]

I, as a Catholic, have never called a single person a heretic, because generally I find that very rude. I've been called this by many non-Catholics and also told I'm not Christian and that I haven't accepted Christ as my Savior, nothing could be more far from the truth, I am a Christian and I have and do accept Christ as my savior. Next, the "I'm right and you're wrong" statement, many non-Catholics harbor this very same opinion when speaking with Catholics. Speaking for myself, when I post it's generally to clear up a misconception about the Church, because face it not all non-Catholics study what the Catholic Church really teaches and many of the ones who don't research into this tend to create large misconceptions which drive an even large wedge between Catholics and non-Catholics.

In closing, I would like to add, that you shouldn't lump Catholics together in one large group like this. All Catholics are different in how they handle situations. And not all Catholics go to Evangelical forums. Next, I would like to add that every Evangelical forum I've been to and I'm a member of allows people of all religions to post there, they aren't prejudice in who they allow to join or post. They are forums open to all, just like phatmass is. Phatmass allows anyone to join as long as they are willing to accept the guidelines of the phorum :)

God Bless,
Jennie

Edited by StColette

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='noncatholicname' date='Oct 2 2004, 06:32 PM'] What if I don't want to understand more? It always starts as I'm right and your wrong and a heritic. How is that making someone understand?

And you didn't answer my question. [/quote]
Maybe they were just trying to start a debate? Does this evangelical forum you are referring to have a debate board? If so that is normal, although they shouldn't be name calling. Protestants come to the debate table all the time here and start a thread by saying something charged, intending to strike up a debate. If you don't want to understand or whatever then you don't have to read the threads or participate in the discussions. If however, someone was spamming or being intentionally rude or uncharitable that is a different story. In either case I don't know what happened so I don't know what to say about it.

Peace.

noncatholicname

[quote name='Aluigi' date='Oct 2 2004, 06:38 PM'] would u not like to honestly seek the truth? i take the time to try to find out what and why protestants believe, why don't you take the time to find out what Catholics believe.

Jesus prayed for His people to all be ONE just as He is one with the Father. Why wouldn't you want to understand more about what other Christians believe.

Read Fr. Pontifex's post pinned at the top of this phorum.. here at PhatMass we don't go around calling other ppl heretics. But there are protestants who will come to Catholics and call US heretics, so if some Catholic is coming to you calling you a heretic, please understand that doesn't rep every Catholic.

though Catholiocism teaches protestantISM is heresy, you are not necessarily culpable for the sin of heresy. now, Martin Luther might have committed the sin of heresy, but likely not you. That is why we wouldn't call you a heretic. [/quote]
I do see the truth, but having so called "truth" shoved in your face is different from "taking time to seek the truth", don't you think?

Guest Aluigi

i don't claim all Catholic apologists are perfect. Someone's bound to yeah, shove it in your face. they just feel so strongly about it, believe it so strongly and want you to know it too. it's the same reason there's those Bible-thumping pastors out there who shout and point to their Bibles and throw everything but the kitchen sink at their congregations to try to get them to listen.

anyway, why do Catholics venture out to protestant boards? it's a little thing known as evangelization... i thought evangelicals were big on that. well, i guess they're only big on it if the evangelizers are trying to evangelize THEIR interpretation of the Bible. but when we try to evangelize ppl with what we believe to be the Truth, we're the bad guys?

Noncatholicname,

You sound a lot like the Galatians must have sounded when St. Paul started telling them that they were being decieved by a false gospel. St. Paul's response was simple:

"Am I then become your enemy in telling you the truth?" (Gal 4:16)

noncatholicname

[quote name='Aluigi' date='Oct 2 2004, 07:14 PM']

anyway, why do Catholics venture out to protestant boards? it's a little thing known as evangelization... i thought evangelicals were big on that. well, i guess they're only big on it if the evangelizers are trying to evangelize THEIR interpretation of the Bible. but when we try to evangelize ppl with what we believe to be the Truth, we're the bad guys? [/quote]
Thing is, I don't go around evangelizing people who are already churched.

noncatholicname

[quote name='Hananiah' date='Oct 2 2004, 07:24 PM'] Noncatholicname,

You sound a lot like the Galatians must have sounded when St. Paul started telling them that they were being decieved by a false gospel. St. Paul's response was simple:

"Am I then become your enemy in telling you the truth?" (Gal 4:16) [/quote]
See, this is what I mean. Although you didn't say it, you just intimated that I'm a heretic.