An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why do catholics...

noncatholicname

Brother Adam

Being "churched" doesn't get you to heaven. We are saved through faith in Jesus Christ. And Catholics have something to share that other ophraned deonimations don't have. I once was a Protestant on the receiving end of Catholic dialogue. If you don't want to hear it is your business. But it's worth learning. that I'll garuntee you of.

[quote name='noncatholicname' date='Oct 2 2004, 07:37 PM'] See, this is what I mean. Although you didn't say it, you just intimated that I'm a heretic. [/quote]
Well, you may not like hearing it, but I'd be doing you no favors by withholding the truth. Neither would I be doing a Jew a favor by telling him he didn't need to convert, or a Muslim, or a Pagan, etc. Christ has only one sheepfold, and that sheepfold is the Catholic Church.

noncatholicname

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Oct 2 2004, 07:42 PM'] Being "churched" doesn't get you to heaven. We are saved through faith in Jesus Christ. And Catholics have something to share that other ophraned deonimations don't have. I once was a Protestant on the receiving end of Catholic dialogue. If you don't want to hear it is your business. But it's worth learning. that I'll garuntee you of. [/quote]
Then what it is, is you truely do believe that your church is the only church that is right?

cmotherofpirl

Welcome to Phatmass noncatholicname.

A heretic is someone who knows the truth and rejects it, which is not the same as having never heard the truth in the first place.

cmotherofpirl

NCC, Jesus Christ founded one Church in 33 AD and left one man in charge of it with the God-given authority to run it. This Church and the authority has lasted 2000 years. THe fullness of faith - the complete revelation is found in the Church - which Paul calls the pillar and foundation.

noncatholicname

[quote name='Hananiah' date='Oct 2 2004, 07:58 PM'] Well, you may not like hearing it, but I'd be doing you no favors by withholding the truth. Neither would I be doing a Jew a favor by telling him he didn't need to convert, or a Muslim, or a Pagan, etc. Christ has only one sheepfold, and that sheepfold is the Catholic Church. [/quote]
That's funny, because other catholics tell me that the catholic church doesn't teach this.

Brother Adam

Your church contains truths, but not the fullness of truth. That is the difference. The Catholic Church is just that, a Church. www.flyfreeministries.org

Read the opening statement.

Given your statement above, that you "don't want to understand more," I have to concur with Apotheoun, that you are probably not invincibly ignorant.

noncatholicname

[quote name='Hananiah' date='Oct 2 2004, 08:29 PM'] Those other Catholics are misinformed.

[/quote]
So, either you are lying, or they were lying. Or you are misinformed or they are misinformed. I don't know, but this is exactly what I'm talking about. If you guys can't come to some kind of consensus concerning said beliefs, then again I ask, why do you go to evangelical forums and make people feel like dirt?

Guest Aluigi

[quote]"Outside the Church there is no salvation"

[b]846 [/b]How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers?Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.
[b]847 [/b]This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.
[b]848 [/b]"Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men."

[/quote]

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='noncatholicname' date='Oct 2 2004, 10:42 PM'] So, either you are lying, or they were lying.  Or you are misinformed or they are misinformed.  I don't know, but this is exactly what I'm talking about.  If you guys can't come to some kind of consensus concerning said beliefs, then again I ask, why do you go to evangelical forums and make people feel like dirt? [/quote]
Posters on Phatmass are grouped according to their fidelity to Church teaching.

Clergy, Scholars, Militant and Faithful adhere to Church teaching.
Phishys do not always rep Church teachng.

Please note that when you read a post.

Aluigi posted Church teaching on the subject.

Edited by cmotherofpirl