An Old School Catholic Message Board

What do you believe

Socrates

Which best matches your belief?  

144 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would only add that it would be useful to clarify the last part of (A) to distinguish the Pope's actual teachings qua Pope versus the personal opinions and private teachings of the person who happens to occupy the See of Peter.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='popestpiusx' date='Oct 11 2004, 11:41 PM'] I would only add that it would be useful to clarify the last part of (A) to distinguish the Pope's actual teachings qua Pope versus the personal opinions and private teachings of the person who happens to occupy the See of Peter. [/quote]
Who here is qualified to decide which is which?
No one.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Oct 12 2004, 06:48 AM'] Who here is qualified to decide which is which?
No one. [/quote]
It depends what you are talking about. For instance, the Holy Father is quoted as being very much against Communion in the hand. Would you consider that his opinion or a binding teaching of the Holy Father in his capacity as Pope?

In fact it is somewhat foolish to say that no one is qualified to decide which is which. There are plenty of cases where it is easily discerned either from the context (if it is given in private conversation, as a speech to a group of people, or promulgated to the entire world etc.) or the subject matter and even from the way in which the thing is worded. These all assist one in deciding if what has been said is intended to be a binding teaching or whether it is the private opinion of the person.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Oct 12 2004, 09:38 AM'] I was thinking of those people who try to tuirn disciplinary documents into dogma. [/quote]
By your statement it seems that you have already done what you said was impossible for anyone on here to do; namely, to decide which is which. Or am I misunderstanding?

Edited by popestpiusx

This whole things stinks of "Values Clarification" from Carl Rogers!

What do you believe about Ice Cream's best flavor?

How do you feel about the Color Green?

How do you fell about lieing sometimes?

What do you think about murder?

Then opinion becomes the subjective judge of reality, and thus relativism rules...

Just my two cents...

[quote name='Theoketos' date='Oct 12 2004, 10:30 AM'] This whole things stinks of "Values Clarification" from Carl Rogers!

Then opinion becomes the subjective judge of reality, and thus relativism rules...

Just my two cents... [/quote]
To what are you referring?

[quote name='Theoketos' date='Oct 12 2004, 09:30 AM'] This whole things stinks of "Values Clarification" from Carl Rogers!

Just my two cents... [/quote]
Hey, I never said that all choices were correct!!!

A. is the correct choice. I was just trying to clarify what other people on this site believed (sometimes it's hard to tell) and perhaps spark some good debate on this topic. Some Catholics seem confused about papal authority, and I thought this might create some good discussion/debate.

Sorry if this poll came off as implying subjectivism or values clarification; that was not my intent. (perhaps the poll was not a good idea.)

~ Socrates

Yeah, I came down to hard...Jumped to conculsions...I just get really excited some times

I am glad that you know what value's clarification is though...

Back to the Topic.

What is the link between Mt 18:18 and Papal infallibility?