An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lambeth Report on ordaining gay bishops

cmotherofpirl

cmotherofpirl

[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/18_10_04_windsor_report.pdf"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/bsp/hi/pd...dsor_report.pdf[/url]

And posting this proves what? That some members of the Anglican communion are unregenerate sinners - even Bishops?

I could say the same thing about the Roman Catholic Church with all its priestly abuse scandals.

I will agree that the Anglican communion needs to hear her Lord's call in the Holy Scriptures to reform and repent from her damnable sins, but Rome needs to repent from a much, much, more serious sin - corruption of the Holy Gospel to the point where it is no longer the Gospel, and impotent to save.

There's an amusing story in Vitruvius' 10th book on architecture about an Ephesian shepherd who discovered large marble deposits near the city at a time when they were contemplating importing marble from abroad to build a new temple. The Ephesians were so happy with this man's discovery, they made him rich and renamed him Evangelus.

The Protestant gospel has about as much power to save.

It takes a person of great insecurity to hang around a Catholic site and beaver dam Catholics and the Church of Christ without refrain. I pray that one day the bitterness and anger in you will give way to charity, hope, and truth.

[quote name='Svjatyj_Boze' date='Oct 20 2004, 04:42 PM'] There's an amusing story in Vitruvius' 10th book on architecture about an Ephesian shepherd who discovered large marble deposits near the city at a time when they were contemplating importing marble from abroad to build a new temple. The Ephesians were so happy with this man's discovery, they made him rich and renamed him Evangelus.

The Protestant gospel has about as much power to save. [/quote]
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! You affirm salvation by works and adding man's will to God's grace by not resisting!

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Oct 20 2004, 04:47 PM'] It takes a person of great insecurity to hang around a Catholic site and beaver dam Catholics and the Church of Christ without refrain. [/quote]
The Roman Catholic Church is not the Church of Christ. It is not even [i]a[/i] Church of Christ. And on the contrary - I have great security and assurance such as the Gospel of grace alone, through faith alone, gives me, before the Father in my Lord Jesus Christ.

The purest churches under heaven are subject both to mixture and error; and some have so degenerated, as to become no churches of Christ, but synagogues of Satan. (One of these is Rome)

[quote name='The Westminster Confession of Faith' date=' Chapter XXV']I. The catholic or universal Church, which is invisible, consists of the whole number of the elect, that have been, are, or shall be gathered into one, under Christ the head thereof; and is the spouse, the body, the fullness of Him that filleth all in all.

II. The visible Church, which is also catholic or universal under the gospel (not confined to one nation as before under the law), consists of all those throughout the world that profess the true religion, together with their children; and is the Kingdom of the Lord Jesus Christ; the house and family of God, through which men are ordinarily saved and union with which is essential to their best growth and service.

III. Unto this catholic and visible Church, Christ hath given the ministry, oracles, and ordinances of God, for the gathering and perfecting of the saints, in this life, to the end of the world; and doth by his own presence and Spirit, according to his promise, make them effectual thereunto.

IV. This catholic Church hath been sometimes more, sometimes less, visible. And particular Churches, which are members thereof, are more or less pure, according as the doctrine of the gospel is taught and embraced, ordinances administered, and public worship performed more or less purely in them.

V. The purest Churches under heaven are subject both to mixture and error: and some have so degenerated as to become apparently no Churches of Christ. Nevertheless, there shall be always a Church on earth, to worship God according to his will.

VI. There is no other head of the Church but the Lord Jesus Christ: nor can the Pope of Rome in any sense be head thereof; [b]but is that Antichrist, that man of sin and son of perdition, that exalteth himself in the Church against Christ[/b], and all that is called God. [/quote]

[quote]I pray that one day the bitterness and anger in you will give way to charity, hope, and truth.[/quote] I am bitter and angry towards all them that corrupt the Holy Gospel, such as Roman Catholics are, but it is only out of zeal for their lost souls, which will burn in Hell unless they abandon their error.

Edited by ICTHUS

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Oct 20 2004, 04:49 PM'] Inasmuch as y ou attack the bride you attack the bridegroom. [/quote]
The Roman Catholic "Church" is not the Bride of Christ. In the words of Archbishop Thomas Cranmer, burned at the stake by the Roman Catholic Church, "I refuse him (the Pope) as Christ's enemy and Antichrist with all his false doctrines."

Edited by ICTHUS

anyone else notice how ICTHUS completely de-railed this discussion?

Lambeth was the same place that gave rise to the first christian council to allow contraception... :unsure:

Very good point. That all Protestant denominations allow contraception clearly demonstrates that the gates of hell prevailed against Protestantism long ago.

[quote name='Aluigi' date='Oct 20 2004, 05:11 PM'] anyone else notice how ICTHUS completely de-railed this discussion?

Lambeth was the same place that gave rise to the first christian council to allow contraception... :unsure: [/quote]
Where is non-aborifacient contraception forbidden in Holy Scripture? I defy you to show me! Sola Scriptura!

Edited by ICTHUS

No. God's moral law is not confined soley to His Written Word, but the Spoken Word passed down through the ages and guarded by the Holy Spirit is also important. :rolleyes:

Edited by Aluigi

[quote name='Aluigi' date='Oct 20 2004, 05:24 PM'] No.  God's moral law is not confined soley to His Written Word, but the Spoken Word passed down through the ages and guarded by the Holy Spirit is also important.  :rolleyes: [/quote]
I see. So the Pope could suddenly sit down in Peter's chair one day and say "My loyal subjects can only have sex wearing purple thongs at 7:34 PM on a wednesday of the 8th month, except when the moon is full" and that would be a part of 'sacred tradition'?

I don't see how the Pope, councils, etc, can just pull stuff out of their hats which flatly contradicts, or at best, is not present in, God's inspired Word, and call it 'holy tradition'

Edited by ICTHUS

[quote name='Aluigi' date='Oct 20 2004, 05:24 PM'] No. God's moral law is not confined soley to His Written Word: [/quote]
Jesus seemed to think that the Holy Scriptures were sufficent to judge all our doctrines by. (Cf. Mark 7)