An Old School Catholic Message Board

Personality Disorders....

Lil Red

....like Multiple Personality Disorder; Dissociation Identity Disorder, etc. i'm just wondering what people's take on them are. do you believe that they are real, figment of people's imaginations; work of the devil; what?

btw, i do not have these disorders. although i do have friends who do, i'm just wondering what people on phatmass in general think of them.

There is likely an element of both real sickness and demonic activity in mental illness.

Clearly there are medicines which work on mental illness, yet most mental disorders have a 1/3 recover, 1/3 no change, 1/3 worsen trend when confronted with therapy. The last 2/3 llikely have some kind of spiritual warfare present, as we always do.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Lil Red' date='Nov 19 2004, 05:39 AM'] ....like Multiple Personality Disorder; Dissociation Identity Disorder, etc. i'm just wondering what people's take on them are. do you believe that they are real, figment of people's imaginations; work of the devil; what?

btw, i do not have these disorders. although i do have friends who do, i'm just wondering what people on phatmass in general think of them. [/quote]
They are very real, and a sad cross for people who bear them.

[quote name='Lil Red' date='Nov 19 2004, 06:03 AM'] well, it just turned 3am here. insomnia i think they call it. :lol: [/quote]
I suffer from this one. That's why I am always so cheerful. <_<

We're not even sure what really causes these disorders. Some believe there is a biological component, some believe it is purely a mental thing...and then there are those who believe that there is a diathesis-stress concept saying that there is a tendency that is aggravated by outside circumstances. I would say that very rarely is mental illness the direct result of spiritual warfare. rather, I believe that the turmoil merely enflames whatever is there to begin with.

First, MPD and Dissociative Identity Disorder are the same the disorder. The DSM-IV renamed it.

This disorder is very real and as cmom said a sad cross to bear. The general idea is the diathesis stress concept as toledo pointed out. In most cases, some traumatic event happened to the patient (the outside stressor) and the patient's mind creates a new identity to cope with it. It's thought that people who are more imaginitve (ex. kids that have imaginary friends) who experience some kind of trauma are more likely to develop the disorder (the inside tendency) than those who aren't quite as imaginiative. Usually the host (the main personality) doesn't know about the others and has no clue as to what the others are doing. It's like they have a blackout when the other personalities are in charge. Often times, the other personalities disappear as the person is taught how to cope and deal with the emotions attached to the traumatic event.

I simplified it ALOT. There is quite a bit to this disorder and it can be very complicated, especially when patients have many personalities.

Both, actually.

I am a counselor for developmentally disabled kids and I'm also in grad school for my master's degree in school psychology.

I'm fascinated by abnormal psychology!

How about you?

It’s Schizophrenia.

“Schizophrenia is the label given to a group of psychoses in which deterioration of functioning is marked by severe distortion of thoughts, perception, and mood; by bizarre behavior and by social withdrawal.”

There are 5 characteristic symptoms:
1. delusions
2. hallucinations
3. disorganized speech
4. disorganized or catatonic behavior
5. negative symptoms – meaning a reduction or loss of normal functions such as language and goal directed behavior.

These symptoms must exists for 6 months or longer for a diagnosis of Schizophrenia according to the DSM-IV

Some Risk Factors:
- low IQ
- people who are unemployed
- people who are unmarried
- city-dwellers
- age – it strikes mostly in adolescence or early adulthood
- gender – men are 1 and ½ times more likely to develop it.

Vaslav Nijinsky, a ballet dancer suffered from schizophrenia, in case you know who that is.

There are also disorders called Schizoid and Schizotypal, which are 2 separate disorders that should not be confused with each other or with Schizophrenia.

[quote name='Carrie' date='Nov 19 2004, 07:26 AM'] First, MPD and Dissociative Identity Disorder are the same the disorder. The DSM-IV renamed it.

[/quote]
i think i got one of them confused w/ BPD