An Old School Catholic Message Board

Personality Disorders....

Lil Red

[quote name='popestpiusx' date='Nov 19 2004, 07:02 AM'] I suffer from this one. That's why I am always so cheerful. <_< [/quote]
well i'm beginning to. that's why i was here when noone else was

I find DID to be quite interesting. I believe is a genuine disease, not not necessarily demonic in nature. It could be aggrivated by demonic stuff though. I've read some websites and blogs by people with DID, and its amazing how distinct personalities are. A "child's" page on a website will feature spelling and grammar like you'd expect a real child to write, and the adult personalities have a more mature writing style.

One interesting person I read about had a personality that was a Catholic priest. The host (the primary personality) expressed interest in attending Mass to accomodate the wishes of the priest personality. Would it be scandalous if her "priest personality" received the Eucharist? :huh:

[quote name='Paladin D' date='Nov 19 2004, 03:36 PM'] Could Schizophrenia be demonic? [/quote]
I guess as a psych major, I see this as a purely psychological thing.

Also, medication can help the symptoms of Schizophrenia, which indicates some biological correlation, not a demonic one.

But I suppose anything is possible.

[quote name='Dreamweaver' date='Nov 19 2004, 03:53 PM'] Would it be scandalous if her "priest personality" received the Eucharist? :huh: [/quote]
Good questions, but it's hard to say.

If the priest personality truly believes he is a priest, then he wouldn't think it's scandelous. So does that make it a mortal sin? I don't know.

It also sounds as if this host is aware of the priest personality and only goes to mass to accomodate the priest. Interesting.

[quote name='Carrie' date='Nov 19 2004, 12:05 PM']

I'm fascinated by abnormal psychology!

How about you? [/quote]
Abnormal Psych is my main interest. I'm currently a Junior, and I've been wondering about job prospects before I get my Psy.D. We have a program here that allows you to work with W&M, ODU, and some other school to become a doctor in about 4 years. It's awesome. No masters or anything.

Edited by toledo_jesus

That's awesome!

I'm doing my master's first because my life situation won't allow me to go for my PhD or PsyD right away. I'm stretching myself thin as it is to finish my master's program. Hopefully I can go back for my PhD or PsyD in about 5 years or so.

I hear the job market is improving. You'll probably find a job without a problem, although in our field, before you get a PhD or PsyD they are pretty low paying.

Although I work with kids right now, I'm starting to develop a big interest in anti-social personality disorder and that the studies say it is basically untreatable. Conduct disorder is a requirement for ASPD to be diagnosed later on and i've seen a few kids with this. It's just fascinating. I may venture into research with ASPD sometime in the future.

Jess, sorry we hijacked your thread! To get back on your subject, yes, I think all of these disorders are genuine.

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Nov 19 2004, 06:53 AM'] They are very real, and a sad cross for people who bear them. [/quote]
i agree. :(

[quote name='Carrie' date='Nov 19 2004, 11:05 AM']

I'm fascinated by abnormal psychology!

[/quote]
Boy! Then you and I should talk.

Just call me Abby Normal.

:lol:

the DSM-IV is an impressive work. i opened it daily when i was working on my master's degree (Counseling and Human Development). however, since it is meant for diagnosis, the DSM addresses the symptoms w/o really explaining how or why a person develops the mental illness in question. to fill in this much-needed information, i HIGHLY suggest Kaplan and Sadock's "Synopsis of Psychiatry." its like the mental-health bible :P

[quote name='phatcatholic' date='Nov 21 2004, 04:13 PM'] the DSM-IV is an impressive work. i opened it daily when i was working on my master's degree (Counseling and Human Development). however, since it is meant for diagnosis, the DSM addresses the symptoms w/o really explaining how or why a person develops the mental illness in question. to fill in this much-needed information, i HIGHLY suggest Kaplan and Sadock's "Synopsis of Psychiatry." its like the mental-health bible :P [/quote]
I'm going to have to add this to my Christmas list!