An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why is Spongebob Squarepants so popular?

Paladin D

I love Sponge Bob and I thought the movie was great!

However, if they made a Homestar movie, there is no doubt that it would easily outrank the Sponge Bob movie.

-Mark

Well, people also seem to have a love for Homestar, so that can only mean one thing:

Our nation's youth has a taste for stupidity.

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='Paladin D' date='Nov 23 2004, 01:13 PM'] I do find Spongebob (and the starfish guy) funny, reminds me of my type of humor as a kid (and today as well). But, I just don't understand how it's become such a cultural phenomna (typo?). [/quote]
because america thrives on fads......it was new kids on the block one time, backstreet boys on another--cartoon wise its spongebob! :punk: :punk:

um... personally i dont' like spongebob... never have, and i dont like it when my little sister goes around singing the theme song... especially since she doesn't know the words...
+jessica+

It's popular because it is so simple and stupid.
[quote]Sponge Bob is the official phatmass cartoon character. [/quote]
Dust, who makes the rules around here anyway?

I LOVE spongebob. I think it has become so popular for a variety of reasons. The Characters are very realistic to people we know and are we all know annoying people, or greedy bosses, or stupid friends. The interaction between them is soo funny and the plot line is not entirley pointless like most cartoons see Powerpuff girls or dexters lab to see what i mean. It has a good plot and solid characters as well i think its here to stay like the good old cartoons. aka Mickey Mouse, Loony Toons, spongebob has many of the same characteristics that make those great cartoons popular.

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='Fool4Christ' date='Nov 27 2004, 12:22 AM'] It's popular because it is so simple and stupid.

Dust, who makes the rules around here anyway? [/quote]
:rotfl: :rotfl: :crackup: :rolling:

I think the attraction to spongebob is the humorous approach to different aspects of everyday life he has. He is naive, and in his make-believe world it allows for funny situations. Another reason for the popularity is the lack of a better alternative. I don't know of another show that is anywhere near as funny. I also think people are able to relate to some of the ways spongebob reacts to things. I constantly do or say things that I wish I could take back (I love the edit button), and in that way I am able to relate on a minor level to spongebob (I've only seen one or two episodes)