An Old School Catholic Message Board

"Christmas" not in the bible

Archangel

Many non-Catholic Christians argue that several Catholic terms are not found in the bible ("Purgatory", "Immaculate Conception", "Holy Trinity", etc.). Therefore, these "inventions" should not be believed in, they say.

So I would like to know, do they avoid using the term "Christmas" as well? It's not found in the bible. It is actually formed from the words "Christ" + "Mass". [url="http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=christmas"]Dictionary.com[/url]

If they do use the word "Christmas", why do they use it if it is not found in Scripture?

yeah....and considering most of the bible only group are now evangelicals.....they don't even have Mass......

so why do they persist with the TRADITION of calling it Christ-MASS?

Most Christian denominations believe in something called the Trinity.

Last time I checked, the Bible didn't have the word Trinity in it! ;)

No, the Bible doesn't have the word Trinity in it, and most non-Catholic Christians believe in it. The exceptions, I guess, would be the Oneness Pentecostals, Mormons, and Jehovah's Witness's. The latter two, however, are cults.

As far as Christmas, I have always celebrated it because it commemorates the birth of the One I love more than life itself. I never really thought of the meaning of the word. There are many, Messianic Jewish believers to name one group, who believe the Christmas holiday to be completely pagan in origin.

Many (if not most) of the Evangelicals and Fundamentalists who present the "purgatory/immaculate conception/etc is not in the Bible" argument also do not celebrate the "evil, pagan, Romanist holiday of Christmas". Easter too.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Dreamweaver' date='Dec 4 2004, 11:32 AM'] Most Christian denominations believe in something called the Trinity.

Last time I checked, the Bible didn't have the word Trinity in it! ;) [/quote]
All Christian denominations believe in the Trinity. To believe otherwise is apostacy and would make it, by definition, unChristian.

[quote name='Raphael' date='Dec 4 2004, 02:53 PM'] All Christian denominations believe in the Trinity. To believe otherwise is apostacy and would make it, by definition, unChristian. [/quote]
I said most, knowing that Mormons and JW's don't believe in the Trinity. Yes, theologically they're not Christian though, even though they proclaim Christ as savior.

[quote name='Archangel' date='Dec 4 2004, 12:49 AM'] Many non-Catholic Christians argue that several Catholic terms are not found in the bible ("Purgatory", "Immaculate Conception", "Holy Trinity", etc.). Therefore, these "inventions" should not be believed in, they say.

So I would like to know, do they avoid using the term "Christmas" as well? It's not found in the bible. It is actually formed from the words "Christ" + "Mass". [url="http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=christmas"]Dictionary.com[/url]

If they do use the word "Christmas", why do they use it if it is not found in Scripture? [/quote]
Such people forget the (important) distinction between sola and solo scriptura.

There is nothing anti-Biblical about picking a day to celebrate Christ's birth. It just so happens that the Early Church chose to supplant a pagan holiday (Sol Invictus, or the Invincible Sun) with the Feast of Christ's Birth - so, rather than celebrating the feast of the Invincible Sun, we celebrate the feast of the Invincible Son.

Cool, eh? :D

[quote name='Dreamweaver' date='Dec 4 2004, 11:45 PM'] Yes, theologically they're not Christian though, even though they proclaim Christ as savior.... [/quote]
Actually, the latter is arguable. Mormons and JW's teach a gospel of works, not of grace. As such, they are judaizers and preach another gospel, which is no gospel at all.

[quote name='JeffCR07' date='Dec 5 2004, 10:07 PM'] ICTHUS, have you ever read the works of Athanasius or Maximus the Confessor? [/quote]
I recall reading a bit of St. Athanasius, but not the latter - anything in particular I should look out for?