An Old School Catholic Message Board

"Christmas" not in the bible

Archangel

[quote name='yiannii' date='Dec 7 2004, 04:31 PM'] Sounds like a church making laws or tradition to me.... :P That is what the Catholic Church does but instead of using rational like this they base their decisions on Scripture, Tradition passed down from the original twelve, and with the guidance of the Holy Spirit giving such doctrines authority to be carried out. There is no doubt that the celebration of Christmas is un-Biblical, in the sense that it is not spelled out like the Protestants would probably like. Many Protestants call into question ancient Catholic traditions such as the intercession of the Saints and the belief of Purgatory because there is no exact spelling out of the practice in the Bible. Well the same goes for Christmas.

Why do Christians (the majority) keep Sunday as their holy day? In fact why do Catholics have Sunday as the holy day? LOL….

artemisjade are you a convert? [/quote]
There's a distinct difference between a law and a tradition.

The celebration of christmas as it's done today is certainly non-biblical, but the church I grew up in didn't approve of Santa or trees or any of the non-religious stuff. They felt that it took away from the "real" meaning of the holiday (I won't go into the pagan origins here) which was celebrating the birth of Jesus.

Phatmasser777

[quote name='Archangel' date='Dec 4 2004, 12:49 AM'] Many non-Catholic Christians argue that several Catholic terms are not found in the bible ("Purgatory", "Immaculate Conception", "Holy Trinity", etc.). Therefore, these "inventions" should not be believed in, they say.

So I would like to know, do they avoid using the term "Christmas" as well? It's not found in the bible. It is actually formed from the words "Christ" + "Mass". [url="http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=christmas"]Dictionary.com[/url]

If they do use the word "Christmas", why do they use it if it is not found in Scripture? [/quote]
Many non-catholic Christians dont celebrate xmas at all.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Phatmasser777' date='Dec 7 2004, 11:43 PM'] Many non-catholic Christians dont celebrate xmas at all. [/quote]
Not "many"... few, in fact.

[quote name='goldenchild17' date='Dec 7 2004, 04:03 AM'] That's a tough find for me... I looked around and found this [urlhttp://www.rassegna.unibo.it/autcrist.html[/url]
scroll down to Maximus Confessor and click on the "Mystagogia" link. I couldn't get the link to work, but maybe it'll work for you. But that's all I can seem to find right now. [/quote]
The link no worky

[quote name='ironmonk' date='Dec 6 2004, 11:17 AM'] Actually Funde's and Evan's are all a mix of both lines of thought.

They are not one faith... they almost have as many faiths as they have churches.

God Bless,
ironmonk [/quote]
But the substance of the faith is basically identical. Also, I believe you are misusing the word 'fundamentalist' - I would hope, if you're using the same definition of 'fundamentalist' that I'm using, that you would call yourself a 'fundamentalist' too.

[quote name='Quietfire' date='Dec 7 2004, 03:01 PM'] Actually, they are argueing to have it called 'Holiday Tree' thus removing Christ from Christmas a little at a time. [/quote]
*gasp* Admission of holidays other than christmas!? Blasphemy.

Please.