Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

Okay now that I have your attention.
I would like to pose a query to you all.

I have heard various rants about where a woman's "place" is........
And what is appropriate for her to wear, and do and say and act.

But today I pose you a new query. What shall a woman wear upon her head. I have heard some say that a woman must cover her head, or wear a veil.

On the other hand I have also been in places where the men have had to cover their heads....Yarmulka anyone?

That is right buddy!!! When I visited various synogogs the boys were almost always required to cover thier heads. Some of the girls in our groups had to coever thier shoulders but they were wearing tank tops, so they were given shawls. However we did not have to cover our heads. Interesting.

On the other hand it was a custom for very orthodox jewish women, once they married, to have all their hair shaved off and then wear a sheitel (wig) for the rest of hier lived. I think very fewif any practice this today.

Throughout history a woman's hair has been seen as something to be covered, hidden away only for family members and a husband to see. Seeing hair was immodest, and sexually provocative, and must be covered for decency.

So what do you all think? Should Women's head's be covered?
Should men's heads be covered?

Or should we just all shave our heads and tatoo our scalps?

Posted

I just wish my hair wasn't so darn boring.

And if you think about it women color and perm their hair, therefore hiding their real hair.

Posted

I like it when women cover their heads for Mass...it is something that makes them distinctive and is an outward sign of humility and devotion before God.
Men should be forced to wear suits to Mass. That's what I think.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ
Posted

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Dec 4 2004, 01:17 AM'] Men should be forced to wear suits to Mass. That's what I think. [/quote]
Me too!

Don John of Austria
Posted

toledo--- you going to buy me a suit?

Piccoli Fiori JMJ
Posted

I can see the signs now:

"No Suit, No Service" :P :D

Posted

You should not be "forced" to wear a suit.....you should be compelled to wear a suit ;)

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='Balthazor' date='Dec 4 2004, 02:09 AM'] Or should we just all shave our heads and tatoo our scalps? [/quote]
:lol: My brother has a bald spot on the back of his head and my mom thinks he should have an eyeball tatooed back there. :P

As for your question, I personally don't really mind either way whether women (or men, for that matter) want to cover their heads. In regard to women, I do find it very attractive when they cover their heads, not in an "oh, she's pure, I have to scandalize her" way :P, but in a "wow, she must really love her faith to do something like that, even though society scorns her," and faith means a lot to me.

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

Toledo, if I could afford a suit and if I could afford the more chronic dry cleaning after wearing it to daily Mass, I would.

However, I attend the most orthodox parish in the most orthodox diocese in the United States and I am completely among similarly dressed people, at least on the weekday Masses (the Sunday Masses, of course, get the people in not so nice clothing, but at least not as much as at my home parish), in full pants, jeans or slacks, and at least t-shirts, never with any immodesty. Considering that these are college kids and that they are going to Mass everyday, I think that's probably okay...this is like the only stuff they own.

Posted (edited)

I have a veil and I wear it most of the time to Mass, except I haven't lately because I can't find it. I want to make one, though.

Edited by FutureSoror
cmotherofpirl
Posted

[quote name='Balthazor' date='Dec 4 2004, 03:09 AM'] Okay now that I have your attention.
I would like to pose a query to you all.

I have heard various rants about where a woman's "place" is........
And what is appropriate for her to wear, and do and say and act.

But today I pose you a new query. What shall a woman wear upon her head. I have heard some say that a woman must cover her head, or wear a veil.

On the other hand I have also been in places where the men have had to cover their heads....Yarmulka anyone?

That is right buddy!!! When I visited various synogogs the boys were almost always required to cover thier heads. Some of the girls in our groups had to coever thier shoulders but they were wearing tank tops, so they were given shawls. However we did not have to cover our heads. Interesting.

On the other hand it was a custom for very orthodox jewish women, once they married, to have all their hair shaved off and then wear a sheitel (wig) for the rest of hier lived. I think very fewif any practice this today.

Throughout history a woman's hair has been seen as something to be covered, hidden away only for family members and a husband to see. Seeing hair was immodest, and sexually provocative, and must be covered for decency.

So what do you all think? Should Women's head's be covered?
Should men's heads be covered?

Or should we just all shave our heads and tatoo our scalps? [/quote]
Men also used to get turned on by a glance at a womans ankle.
Does that happen today? Hardly.
Cultures and societies change. What scandalized people 100 years ago wouldn't turn a hair today.
Women need to be modest in all cultures, but what constiitutes modesty can vary.


If you make women wear as veil, there will be some man out there fantasizing about that. Should we wear burkas?
What should a man wear so I won't fantasize about him? A burka?


I am responsible for what I wear, I am not responsible for some mans fantasy.

In each era men have eroticized a part of a woman, since they can't seem to handle all of us at one time. :)

St Paul was citing a disciplinary practice in a particular Church. It is not dogma.

Posted

It will be very difficult to make a good case that what St. Paul is clearly demanding, and what the Church understood as a divinely inspired command for 1970 some odd years was mere disciplinary practice, culturally bound, and therefore can be tossed off with reckless abandon (which is basically what happened.)

Posted

Bull hockey. It isn't difficult at all to make a case for it. One only needs to do a little research into the issue. Jewish woman in biblical times, but not always, wore head coverings because not to do so in the culture of the day indicated one was sexually available for a price.

Similiarly we teach our young girls not to put on extravagent amounts of makeup, short skirts, and socialize out in public.

Birgitta Noel
Posted

The covering of heads for women at mass was done away with long ago, though I can't remember the reference. Personally I find it distracting. In fact it leads me to an occassion of sin becuase it tends to hack me off. I can't really explain that right now. I'm not in an explaining mood, but let's just say it leads me to being judgemental.

Posted

I wonder whats Eve's opinion would be on all this... :P

Posted

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Dec 4 2004, 02:25 PM'] Bull hockey. It isn't difficult at all to make a case for it. One only needs to do a little research into the issue. Jewish woman in biblical times, but not always, wore head coverings because not to do so in the culture of the day indicated one was sexually available for a price.

Similiarly we teach our young girls not to put on extravagent amounts of makeup, short skirts, and socialize out in public. [/quote]
I agree that one needs to do a little research into the issue. I highly recommend it. If you do, you'll find the issue not so easy to dismiss, for some of the reasons I gave above (and others as well).


BirgittaNoel:
[quote]The covering of heads for women at mass was done away with long ago, though I can't remember the reference. Personally I find it distracting. In fact it leads me to an occassion of sin becuase it tends to hack me off. I can't really explain that right now. I'm not in an explaining mood, but let's just say it leads me to being judgemental.[/quote]

Done away with long ago huh? Interesting. The reason you can't remember the reference is because it doesn't exist. By the way, what do you consider "long ago"? It was the constant and universal practice of the Church for just under 2000 years and you want to dismiss it because "it tends to hack you off"? Get over it. Personal preference is irrelevant. It hacks me off to see women with heads uncovered. Does this prove that they should be used? Of course not.
If your're against it, fine. But you better come up with something better than that.

Posted

Raphael, Don John,
Gentlemen, the solution to your suitless situation is at hand. I shall share with you the story of how I got my well fitting, three-piece black suit for a mere $20.00...
I went to a thrift store and they had the suit there. I bought it. The end.


The moral of my story is that you can find a quality suit for about a tenth the store price. Barring that, they are sure to have sport jackets or blazers there for under $5.00. What I find is that often they still have the original tags in them. Can't beat it. They don't even smell bad. Look like you spent the money, but give it to Church instead.

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='toledo_jesus' date='Dec 4 2004, 05:33 PM'] Raphael, Don John,
Gentlemen, the solution to your suitless situation is at hand. I shall share with you the story of how I got my well fitting, three-piece black suit for a mere $20.00...
I went to a thrift store and they had the suit there. I bought it. The end.


The moral of my story is that you can find a quality suit for about a tenth the store price. Barring that, they are sure to have sport jackets or blazers there for under $5.00. What I find is that often they still have the original tags in them. Can't beat it. They don't even smell bad. Look like you spent the money, but give it to Church instead. [/quote]
I went to find a sport jacket at Good Will and the cheapest one they had was $50.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...