Brother Adam Posted December 5, 2004 Posted December 5, 2004 Am I the only Catholic who gets nervous at mass when people start speaking in tongues? I've usually avoided the whole subject, but being at the university there are alot of people who believe in the gift and believe they have it. I won't go to mass where there is that going on nor will I go to the festival of praise. I have studied the whole theology behind it to some extent, as far as being in tune with what the Bible says on it. I just am really weary of the whole thing.
homeschoolmom Posted December 5, 2004 Posted December 5, 2004 [quote name='Brother Adam' date='Dec 5 2004, 12:46 AM'] Am I the only Catholic who gets nervous at mass when people start speaking in tongues? [/quote] Nope. I've always questioned the biblical soundness of it...
Thy Geekdom Come Posted December 5, 2004 Posted December 5, 2004 There are real mystics who do it (although I doubt it really sounds so nonsensical as many make it seem), but I think that the majority of people who do it are trying psychologically to convince themselves. I know a priest who prays over people and they fall...he's a very reputable priest and I think he is a valid mystic, but I wouldn't think that many others would do it. I'm weary...cautious...of it.
Sinner Posted December 5, 2004 Posted December 5, 2004 I suppose there is a time and place for everything........ but in Mass? Ive never seen this in Mass. I have seen it at a charismatic prayer group, but I quit going because I knew it was not for me.
rachael Posted December 5, 2004 Posted December 5, 2004 [quote name='Brother Adam' date='Dec 5 2004, 12:46 AM'] Am I the only Catholic who gets nervous at mass when people start speaking in tongues? [/quote] no. but i know there are a very few number of people who do it. my youth minister can truely speak in tounges.....but she has never done it during mass.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted December 5, 2004 Posted December 5, 2004 [quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Dec 5 2004, 02:03 AM'] Are you guys weary or leery...? [/quote] A little from column A and a little from column B...
homeschoolmom Posted December 5, 2004 Posted December 5, 2004 [quote name='Raphael' date='Dec 5 2004, 01:04 AM'] A little from column A and a little from column B... [/quote]
Brother Adam Posted December 5, 2004 Author Posted December 5, 2004 Micah, you big na-bob Leery i guess is a better word HSmom. I believe its possible that some may have the gift, but it would be a rare gift. when I'm attending somewhere and everyone seems to be speaking in tongues, then that bothers me. I believe a person who would actually have the gift would know it as well as Harry Potter knows he speaks Parsel-tongue and not just think they can do it. But yeah, it happens at a lot of the masses on campus and it has given me a whole different and not so good impression of FUS. I no longer trust as much in its "dynamic othrodoxy" and will probably be more critical of the professors teachings. We are going to the 9am mass today and that will determine if we will attend anymore masses on campus.
Lil Red Posted December 5, 2004 Posted December 5, 2004 it freaks me out, and honestly, adam, if we're coming to mass in steubie, it'll freak me out....cuz i heard it is very charismatic...
Brother Adam Posted December 5, 2004 Author Posted December 5, 2004 (edited) Yeah. It isn't as bad as Pentacostal churches, but it's still an interuption in mass that doesn't need to be there. I'm also going to have talk to them to understand the reasoning for using EM's when there are 12 concelebrants and 2 acolytes. There is no reason for it. Today at the 9am mass there was that period where most people start shouting, but it was actually very silent. No one was speaking in tongues or shouting and several people looked very annoyed and uncomfortable, at least those that I could see. Edited December 5, 2004 by Brother Adam
immaculata Posted December 5, 2004 Posted December 5, 2004 One of the reasons why I'm not all that interested in FUS... -_-
Brother Adam Posted December 5, 2004 Author Posted December 5, 2004 Yeah. I knew that some people on campus had charasmatic interests, but I didn't know it was openly promoted and encouraged by the school. I still think that they are top notch academically, but then, we will have to see once classes start.
AfroNova No Limit Soldier Posted December 5, 2004 Posted December 5, 2004 hold on. the Charismatic movement has been blessed by the Pope. MESSAGE OF JOHN PAUL II TO THE CATHOLIC FRATERNITY OF CHARISMATIC COVENANT COMMUNITIES AND FELLOWSHIPS To the Catholic Fraternity of Charismatic Covenant Communities and Fellowships "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit" ( Rom 15:13 ). With the words of the Apostle Paul I greet you on the occasion of your Conference being held in Rome at this time. This is indeed an occasion of joyful thanksgiving as you celebrate thirty-five years of Catholic Charismatic Renewal within the Church. As I move into the twenty-fifth year of my Pontificate, I thank you for the prayers with which you have accompanied me and for your fidelity to the ministry entrusted to me. Your contribution to the life of the Church, through your faithful witness to the presence and action of the Holy Spirit has helped many people to rediscover in their own lives the beauty of the grace given to them at Baptism, the gateway to life in the Spirit (cf. Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1213). It has helped them to know the power of the full outpouring of the Holy Spirit conferred at Confirmation (cf. ibid., 1302). I join you in praising the Most Holy Trinity for the work of the Spirit who continues to draw people more fully into the life of Christ and to render their bonds with the Church more perfect (cf. Lumen Gentium, 11). More at [url="http://vatican.mondosearch.com/cgi-bin/MsmFind.exe?query=charismatic&CFGNAME=MssFindEN.cfg&en=x&x=0&y=0"]http://vatican.mondosearch.com/cgi-bin/Msm...fg&en=x&x=0&y=0[/url]
AfroNova No Limit Soldier Posted December 5, 2004 Posted December 5, 2004 I get nervous when things happen in Mass that aren't supposed to. That's why we have the GIRM. But there is nothing wrong with the Charismatic movement. Please don't be so quick to judge or be wary, simply because it is different. Is it that those who are from cultures other than American are more open-minded to these things? In my culture we have tambourines, moraccas (sp?), and clapping. These things would not be appropriate in a church here in the US unless we were to have a Filipino or Spanish Mass. It is not appropriate to speak in tongues during Mass (someone correct me if I am wrong). But there is Truth behind speaking in tongues. It is not appropriate to dance in church unless you are from a culture that does so (particularly African). It is not appropriate to go to church without a shirt, especially if you are a woman, unless you are in Africa & it is a part of your culture. The Pope recently celebrated Mass in Africa & one of the lectors was a woman who did not wear anything above the waist. Feel free to elaborate or question or correct any of my comments. JMJ
qfnol31 Posted December 5, 2004 Posted December 5, 2004 I have a friend who said that FUS is getting better. By the way, you need to seek out Jennifer Jones while you're there, if you can. She's awesome.
Brother Adam Posted December 5, 2004 Author Posted December 5, 2004 AfroNova, The expressions of concern are not whether or not it is okay to have Praise and Worship music, or to raise your hands, or clap, or dance as signs of worship. These practices have a time and place. It is the concern that they are taking place in mass, as you said, it isn't appropriate. When it comes to the gift of tongues, no one is saying it is an impossibility. My concern is that if someone has tongues, most especially angelic tongues, it would be especially rare. I'd say, and this is me personally, you'd be more likely to fun into someone with stigmata first. Many people lose sight in the charasmatic movement (from my experience in Protestant churches) that tongues is not a practice or a skill. It isn't something to keep praying that you will have. It is a gift. And the gift has a very specific purpose. It is to teach and educate where it would otherwise not be possible because no Christian can speak the language of the people. And if it is an angelic tongue someone must be there to translate. I get leery because I understand something of the terrible, awesome power of God. No gift, especially tongues, should be taken lightly.
azaelia Posted December 5, 2004 Posted December 5, 2004 [quote name='Brother Adam' date='Dec 5 2004, 02:21 PM'] And if it is an angelic tongue someone must be there to translate. [/quote] My best friend's parents have it. Her mother can speak it and her father can translate it. I agree with you, though. It has no place in the Mass, especially since most of the people that do it are forcing it. I have seen it done for real, and I've seen it forced, and when it's forced it's just ridiculous.
Piccoli Fiori JMJ Posted December 5, 2004 Posted December 5, 2004 This sounds kinda odd to me... I've never experienced or really heard of this before... Maybe I'm just being to skeptical... I've been awfully skeptical lately... darn english class...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now