Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Am I the only person?


Recommended Posts

Posted

albiet = although Micah

Posted

[quote name='Theoketos' date='Dec 5 2004, 03:23 PM'] I would like to point out that no tongue speaking at Benedictine during mass... [/quote]
I will take this time to mention that where I go to Mass, it's often in Latin (the responses) and I've never run into this....But I go with older monks (one who can't stand rock and is hilarious!). ^_^

franciscanheart
Posted

nope. i get downright scared.

lifeteenchick527
Posted

[quote name='Raphael' date='Dec 4 2004, 09:58 PM'] There are real mystics who do it (although I doubt it really sounds so nonsensical as many make it seem), but I think that the majority of people who do it are trying psychologically to convince themselves.

I know a priest who prays over people and they fall...he's a very reputable priest and I think he is a valid mystic, but I wouldn't think that many others would do it.

I'm weary...cautious...of it. [/quote]
i went to mass and after mass a priest prayed over me and i fell and stuff, iam sort of scared...i dont like it at all

God Bless
LTC :cool:

Posted

What is speaking in tongues anyway ? Ive heard of it and know what goes on during it but dont know actually what the point of it is .Can someone explain please ? Thanks

God Bless,
Ricky

Posted

[quote name='Raphael' date='Dec 5 2004, 04:24 PM'] I think they are a great school academically (top pier in the US News and World Report rankings) and a great environment for sociability, but I think I'll try to go to another parish for my Masses... [/quote]
Like St. Boniface?

Posted

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' date='Dec 5 2004, 05:30 PM'] There wasn't any at Christendom either, just alot of Latin. ;) [/quote]
The way it should be.

Hopefully it will stay that way (or get even better) with Fr. Mastroeni back.

Posted

i think that it is just another type of praise.....it depends on the person...i am more than fine hearing it.....it doesn't bother me at all.......i think it more depends on the type of person that you are

plus i wouldn't call praising God in a charasmatic way a downfall to a university..................

peace out

Posted

..... or maybe you are wary?

Posted

Bro. Adam,

If it helps any, Cardinal Arinze has said Mass on campus with the charismatic songs and praise. He didn't give any indication he saw a problem with it...and he's not exactly the type to just sit by if he sees something wrong...

Posted

He's coming to Dallas and my school's choir is singing for him. :) However, I can't say too much about his reaction. Regardless, it's off topic--we only sing polyphony and chants.

Posted

[quote name='aloha918' date='Dec 7 2004, 09:56 AM'] i think that it is just another type of praise.....it depends on the person...i am more than fine hearing it.....it doesn't bother me at all.......i think it more depends on the type of person that you are

plus i wouldn't call praising God in a charasmatic way a downfall to a university..................

peace out [/quote]
It's the tongues not the praise music

Posted

[quote name='p0lar_bear' date='Dec 7 2004, 12:41 PM'] Bro. Adam,

If it helps any, Cardinal Arinze has said Mass on campus with the charismatic songs and praise. He didn't give any indication he saw a problem with it...and he's not exactly the type to just sit by if he sees something wrong... [/quote]
again, it isn't praise music. Did half the student body start speaking in tongues?

Posted

Although I've never heard anyone speak in tongues I'm also kinda leary about it. It seems that someone could just fake it or force it. I think I'll just stick with english thank you very much.

Posted

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Dec 7 2004, 01:42 PM'] It's the tongues not the praise music [/quote]
i ment the tounges...lol

Posted

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Dec 7 2004, 03:43 PM'] again, it isn't praise music. Did half the student body start speaking in tongues? [/quote]
I'd be surprised if they didn't...

There are threads where I've done my best to explain the charismatic gifts and the phenomenon associated with the charismatic movement...so if you want the theological stuff, you can look those up.

Thing is, it wasn't all the theological stuff that convinced me. I know too many people in the movement not to believe in it. I know too many people with prayer tongues who are some of the holiest, humblist, most devoted people I know. These are not people taken to showing off or pretending or even to being fooled or caught up in the emotions. Why do I accept it? Because I've seen it. I've seen it from people with whom it could not be fake.

I don't have any statements or such directly on prayer tongues, but it seems to me that the fact that in all the statements supporting the charismatic movement, the lack of reference is important. One can't have even a minor association with the charismatic movement and not be aware of the prevelance of prayer tongues. The Holy Father, Cardinal Ratzinger, Cardinal Arinze, etc. cannot know enough about the movement to make statements supporting it without knowing about this phenomenon. Yet, when the Holy Father discussed the charismatic gifts, what he warned people about was discernment and obedience. No one has ever said that the movement is good except for the prayer tongues. No one has ever qualified their support in that way. I know it's weak to argue from silence, but I think it is an important point on this...

Just my thoughts...if I ever meet any of them, I'll ask...

Posted

Your belief then stems from emotion and experience. Which is fine for you and I wouldn't argue it. Unfortunately i don't come from the same perspective.

I don't mean to come of mean or anything. It's just something that bothers me that I am exploring more.

Posted

You know...I don't generally ask for a lot from Church officials, but I really wish someone whould make an official-type statement or document or whatever on the whole matter so we can stop arguing about it...If they say it's OK, then I can point to that. If they say it's not, I'll still point to that... Any authentic charismatic group is going to be obedient to the Church, so they will change if the Church says so...

Spiritual_Arsonist
Posted

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Dec 5 2004, 01:46 AM'] Am I the only Catholic who gets nervous at mass when people start speaking in tongues?

I've usually avoided the whole subject, but being at the university there are alot of people who believe in the gift and believe they have it. I won't go to mass where there is that going on nor will I go to the festival of praise. I have studied the whole theology behind it to some extent, as far as being in tune with what the Bible says on it.

I just am really weary of the whole thing. [/quote]
I think during the context of Mass it would not be right. I'd feel out of place. The Mass cannot be used as a paticular expression for one type of spirituality I think, it does not sound right.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...