An Old School Catholic Message Board

Notre Dame

immaculata

[quote name='immaculata' date='Dec 17 2004, 03:46 PM'] .. and I've been rejected. :sadder: [/quote]
Katrina, I'm sorry . . . ND is missing out . . . if I was a big donor I would call them up and make them reconsider . . . as it stands, I'm sorry that they did not see what an asset you would be to the Notre Dame family.

If it is any consolation, one of the brightest and most talented young men I have ever known was also rejected. He is currently a Jr. at ND now, and is one of the top students. He went to another college for a couple of years and reapplied and was accepted. So, if you aren't too discouraged, you might want to think about such a proposal. St. Mary's is a good place for that, of course you might want to try that somewhere cheaper . . .

I'm certain that God has the right place and the right time for you. I will pray that you can see his will for you more clearly.

[quote name='Frankcdnj' date='Dec 17 2004, 05:26 PM'] Do not be saddened. Most of the students there are related to alumni. I know a few that went there and if they did not have relatives who attended they would not have gotten in. [/quote]
This is just plain not true. 30% of the students are legacies. The other 70% are not.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Don't only children of alumni count as legacies anyway? I remember when my brother applied, the fact that my great uncle graduated there and became a Holy Cross priest amounted to nothing on the application!

[quote]Dear Katrina,

The Committee on Admission is grateful for the sigificant time and effort you have invested into the application process. We have completed our review of your credentials, and I am sorry to inform you that we cannot offer you admission to Notre Dame.

Notre Dame strives to be an instituteion that educates the whole person and because of our mission we attract a special type of applicant. Your impressive academic record and personal qualities testify to this fact. The most difficult part of our evaulation process is knowing that most of our applicants are qualified and would be successful here. It is only within the context of an extremely talented group of candidtaes that our difficult decisions can be undertood. I want to assure you that your choice to apply in Early Action was not a factor in the outcome of your application. We are sending you a final decision at this time because we do not want to delay your college planning. We fully recognize that our loss proves to be another university's gain. Given your excellent potential for college work and the contributions you have made to your community, we are confident you will accomplish great things wherever your talents may lead you.

Please know that you have honored us by your interest in Notre Dame. Your application received our most thorough review, and we appreciate your understanding of the decision we have made. Best wishes for success in all your future endeavors.[/quote]

I'm not sure why I didn't get accepted... I've got the grades, I've got the community involvement and the drive and motivation and all that... the only explaination that I can come up with is that God just didn't want me there. So I guess I really can't argue with that. :)

Now it's just a matter of starting the search all over again. I've been accepted to a university here in my hometown, but the more that I've thought about it, that's one of my last resorts. I want to get out of Peoria and hopefully to a Catholic college. Stuebenville has never appealed to me for some reason, I crossed Christendom off my list for various reasons, and Ave Maria and Univ. of Dallas are both so far away!! I'm not sure where to turn now... :wacko:

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='immaculata' date='Dec 18 2004, 02:41 PM'] I'm not sure why I didn't get accepted... I've got the grades, I've got the community involvement and the drive and motivation and all that... the only explaination that I can come up with is that God just didn't want me there. So I guess I really can't argue with that. :) [/quote]
That's some very good reasoning. :)

My grandfather got accepted to Notre Dame and ended up not going because his father died and he had to support the family. Things worked out well and he became a rather prominent local businessman.

Don't worry. God has something great planned for you. :)

If distance is really that big of a factor in your decision, don't allow that factor to be an inhibitor. I made my decision to go to Steubenville because I was blone away by the family-like atmosphere at Franciscan. I don't even think about the distance to and from home.

Besides, college is a time when the student is taken into the university care, and staying near home is a nice deal, but shouldn't prevent a person from attending a college that they like.

I would like to go to Naples myself right now!

Mickey's_Girl

If it makes you feel any better, I've been rejected by ND too! (I applied to one of their grad programs, but the prof. I wanted to work with suddenly stopped doing grad work and moved into a different arena, so that blew my application).

Have you considered the University of Saint Francis? Also Catholic, considerably smaller, somewhat cheaper, lovely campus. Definitely out of Peoria. :lol:

[url="http://www.sf.edu"]University of Saint Francis[/url]

Hang in there. God will direct your path, and he definitely has plans for you! Trust him. He'll show you the way.

MG

Don't worry my dear sweet Kitty Kat! I'm praying for you! (And you know I have that secret vendetta that you MUST go to UND to be closer to me.....*grin*)

I SORRY. i know you hate hearing it but It is for the best and it is not the right place for ya at this point in your life. God has a plan for us all and Notre Dame was not it. you are in my Prayers :angel: :jesus: :kiss: :unplugged: :flowers: :group: where else have you applied?

conservativecatholic

I'm so sorry. Don't worry about it though. Now you have me worried. I plan to apply to ND in 2006- we'll see what happens. Besides, ND is not the most orthodox school. May God Bless!

P.S. If ND rejects me, I'm headed off to Austin for The University of Texas! A fine school I might add. Hook 'em!

• 1 month later...

I'm sry to hear this Kat :) but as many of the others pointed out God must have other plans for you deary, and I'm sure they're quite wonderful ones. Please don't let distance be a factor for picking a college. If you really want into a college Catholic college and there is a lot of distance between there and home, it's worth it.

I'm about to start Steubie in the Fall, which means I'll be well over 1,000 miles from home and all of my family. I've never been away from family altogether in my entire life. But I know I'll have Teresa, Micah, and others there for me when I'm feeling homesick.

There are many phatmassers in the Dallas area who I'm sure would treat you as family if you decided to attend Univ. of Dallas. Another great option is Benedictine College in Kansas, it's a great school :)

Above all college is truly a time to grow into an adult and begin to learn things for yourself, rather than depend upon family and especially parents for everything. Distance does a lot of good in helping people grow.

So please don't be afraid of the distance, go for it if you feel called there :)

Many prayers !

Love & God Bless,
Jen

Edited by StColette

[quote name='StColette' date='Feb 13 2005, 04:37 PM'] I'm sry to hear this Kat :) but as many of the others pointed out God must have other plans for you deary, and I'm sure they're quite wonderful ones. Please don't let distance be a factor for picking a college. If you really want into a college Catholic college and there is a lot of distance between there and home, it's worth it.

I'm about to start Steubie in the Fall, which means I'll be well over 1,000 miles from home and all of my family. I've never been away from family altogether in my entire life. But I know I'll have Teresa, Micah, and others there for me when I'm feeling homesick.

There are many phatmassers in the Dallas area who I'm sure would treat you as family if you decided to attend Univ. of Dallas. Another great option is Benedictine College in Kansas, it's a great school :)

Above all college is truly a time to grow into an adult and begin to learn things for yourself, rather than depend upon family and especially parents for everything. Distance does a lot of good in helping people grow.

So please don't be afraid of the distance, go for it if you feel called there :)

Many prayers !

Love & God Bless,
Jen [/quote]
psst, [url="http://phorum.phatmass.com/index.php?showtopic=28311"]http://phorum.phatmass.com/index.php?showtopic=28311[/url]