An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's happened in here?

qfnol31

It seems all the charity that used to be essential has been lessening a little each day here (at least over about the last week). This isn't the only phorum to suffer, just happens to be the one I've noticed it most in.

I should hope that both charity, and humility (which stems from charity) will return soon.

"Without charity, all the other virtues are meaningless."

i've seen this comment come up a few times, and i really think sometimes the mood just shifts where people's perception includes hostility (especially when they encounter a side they don't agree with on an issue they feel strongly about) and it appears that some posts lack charity... it's just a shifting mood of the phorum i'm really not sure it exactly means there isn't charity

sometimes it looks like charity isn't being considered. the fact is that over the internet one can rarely really tell. though there are certainly times when even over the internet one can tell. just like you kept insisting to me: the intention is what causes the sin ;) perception doesn't always establish it, especially when people are simply being strait forward and blunt because they don't feel like sugar coating anything but rather bein real.

Edited by Aluigi

That's true, but personal attacks aren't very charitable.

Also, intention isn't all that makes something evil, the object of the external act (pretty much what we see) can make the act evil by itself. That means, no matter what you really intend, it can be an evil act (your culpability can be lessened though).

Anyways, just my .02.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='qfnol31' date='Dec 21 2004, 12:51 AM'] That's true, but personal attacks aren't very charitable.
[/quote]
When you see them report them. ;) Mods will take care of it.

InHisHands381

Being new to the boards, I apologize if I have not been charitable. I know I've felt very strongly about some of the debated issues since I've been here and I hope I haven't come across as harsh or bitter.

Something to consider is taking a moment before you actually hit the 'add reply' button after doing all that typing. Maybe say a Hail Mary.
Or an Our Father.

Or check your spelling, for crying out loud.

;)

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' date='Dec 21 2004, 12:06 AM'] When you see them report them. ;) Mods will take care of it. [/quote]
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings IP but I am not so sure. I was called a social retard and had some other nasties directed my way yesterday (which I reported) and all that was done was to shut down the thread. Whoopie. (oops, some might find that nasty, or honest) Admittedly I said some things that weren't particularly charitable either though some of it was just being blunt. I wasn't really given a warning or anything for my stuff. Hate to be the messanger but I am not impressed with mgmt's actions yesterday.

By the way Aluigi, my apologies for taking what you said wrong the other day.

God bless

Edited by thessalonian

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='thessalonian' date='Dec 21 2004, 02:49 PM'] I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings IP but I am not so sure.  I was called a social retard and had some other nasties directed my way yesterday (which I reported) and all that was done was to shut down the thread.  Whoopie.  (oops, some might find that nasty, or honest) Admittedly I said some things that weren't particularly charitable either though some of it was just being blunt.   I wasn't really given a warning or anything for my stuff.  Hate to be the messanger but I am not impressed with mgmt's actions yesterday.

By the way Aluigi, my apologies for taking what you said wrong the other day.

God bless [/quote]
when it was like that thread, degrading to insults and no charity, with no signs of stopping, it is simply closed.

IcePrincessKRS

Like Flowery said, when an entire thread goes downhill like that and there is "too much" to edit often its just closed completely. Also, I'm only the mod for the Debate Table (I don't get notices for any other part of the phorum), if something gets reported here and needs to be edited I, or one of the other mods for this part of the phorum, will take care of it as soon as we get the notice. I'm sorry you were dissatisfied with the way the problem was taken care of yesterday, but that was that particular mod's decision on how to handle the situation--dUSt has trusted us to use our judgement on how to handle problems. Killing the entire thread to end the bickering is just as effective as editing a bunch of posts. Part of our job is to shut down threads that cease to be productive dialogue. Also, you aren't aware of what disciplinary action might have been taked aside from closing the thread, the "name caller" may have gotten warned for his/her remarks, so while comments may not have been deleted it doesn't mean "nothing" was done about them.

Don John of Austria

Sometimes the most Charitable thing is to simply tell people the Truth, sometimes the Truth hurts. I know I often am seen as harsh on here, but I make no apologies for it, I believe to Sugar coat the Truth is to corrupt the truth, and since it is theTruth that sets us free , corruption of the Truth is a sin in its own right. Morethan tha Failure to tell people the Truth and the Whole Truth is, far from Charitable, it is cruel and hateful.

HomeTeamFamily

the problem is that people complain about too little charity....so the mods step it up on monitoring....

then the problem is that the mods are editing or closing without good reason and then people attack the mods, dUSt, and the site for being "dictatorial"

there is little middle ground

i think the problem stems from the idea of a debate board. debate implies winner and winning an argument can, and seems to, produce egos. if we truly wish to have a site that preaches as well as practices charity, perhaps debate is not good....perhaps just "interfaith dialogue" would be more appropriate.....with an emphasis on keeping the discussion to the matters and not letting any argument arise

i dunno just my .02