An Old School Catholic Message Board

What's happened in here?

qfnol31

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='Dec 21 2004, 01:34 PM'] Sometimes the most Charitable thing is to simply tell people the Truth, sometimes the Truth hurts. I know I often am seen as harsh on here, but I make no apologies for it, I believe to Sugar coat the Truth is to corrupt the truth, and since it is theTruth that sets us free , corruption of the Truth is a sin in its own right. Morethan tha Failure to tell people the Truth and the Whole Truth is, far from Charitable, it is cruel and hateful. [/quote]
As St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross once said, "Do not accept anything as the truth if it lacks love. And do not accept anything as love which lacks truth! One without the other becomes a destructive lie."

This shouldnt turn into bickering and I hope it doesnt.

I found a site the other day, Catholic, and evangelizing is still alive in the Church.
I know Mulls mentioned that he wished he could talk to a Catholic one on one.

If anyone is interested, it is still small.
The reason...
Frank and Maisie Ward participated in the Catholic Evidence Guild in the 40 or 50's in England and bought it to America later. Both were getting up there in years and it ended up being turned over to others to run.
It has remained active, but not rampant active. The Guild was started around 1918 but Im not sure if Frank and Maisie started it. They certainly made it popular though.

Well, glory be it is still alive today and in dire need of people to participate.
Right now they are still very active in New York City. and also in Arizona. Unfortunately, those are the only two states that are boasting Catholic E.G. work at this time, but they are extremely interested in expanding.

They need people to put the time in, and, you'll have to attend classes.
Frank was an excellent street evangelist. I know of only 1 time where he was somewhat at a loss, and he is not afraid to talk of it in his many books.
They actually have guidelines so that you arent distracted in speading the Gospel.

I dont know the website but its called the Catholic Evidence Guild.
If you dont know much about Frank Sheed, get to know him.
Alot of his work is out of print, but fast coming back into print. He is considered on the best 'everyman' apologist. His manner of writing is simple and straight to the point with no fancy words. Check Ebay, that is where I found most of his work. It is my goal to own every one of his books.
I cannot say enough good things about this man and his wonderful wife Maisie.
They have helped me tremendously in my journey to get learned.
Mr. and Mrs. Sheed are both deceased, but their work continues.

Thessolonian, if you are serious about preaching the Gospel, please check out the Guild. I would purchase a plane ticket and show up if a Phatmasser ended up being a part of that organization and was evangelizing in a public forum. And I would bring Lil Red along just for the ride, even if she didnt want to go! (I'd tie her up and kidnap her for the weekend!!!) :lol:

These people are serious about preaching the Gospel.

Pax.

Edited by Quietfire

Thanks for the info Quietfire. I have on of Sheed's books. Can't recall the title offhand but it is basically a training manual on street preaching and apologetics. It is very good. I sent a card to the Guild before and never heard back. I will check out your info and keep you posted. Thanks.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='Dec 21 2004, 03:34 PM'] Sometimes the most Charitable thing is to simply tell people the Truth, sometimes the Truth hurts. I know I often am seen as harsh on here, but I make no apologies for it, I believe to Sugar coat the Truth is to corrupt the truth, and since it is theTruth that sets us free , corruption of the Truth is a sin in its own right. Morethan tha Failure to tell people the Truth and the Whole Truth is, far from Charitable, it is cruel and hateful. [/quote]
AMEN!

[quote name='thessalonian' date='Dec 21 2004, 04:04 PM'] Thanks for the info Quietfire. I have on of Sheed's books. Can't recall the title offhand but it is basically a training manual on street preaching and apologetics. It is very good. I sent a card to the Guild before and never heard back. I will check out your info and keep you posted. Thanks. [/quote]
FIND OUT THE TITLE OF THAT BOOK.
I gotta know, sorry.

I have the following:
Theology for Beginners
Theology and Sanity
Society and Sanity
The Holy Spirit in Action-fantastic book on the third person of the Trinity.
The Church and I.
and I think 3 others but I cant remember those titles offhand. There all over the house. I read Theology for Beginners three times, and I love to keep it handy for reference.

I just got..
'And they saw his Glory- an introduction to the Gospels' by Maisie Ward. cant wait to dig into that. Frank suggested reading that as well as the Bible while reading Theology for Beginners. So I'll be going for read number 4.

I found it online. It's called "Catholic Evidence, Training Outlines". It basically gives an outline of a topic for street preaching, some apologetic and other explanations, and some expected audience objections/questions.

Edited by thessalonian

[quote name='thessalonian' date='Dec 21 2004, 02:49 PM'] By the way Aluigi, my apologies for taking what you said wrong the other day.

God bless [/quote]
hey no problem :cool:

sorry about the whole thing.. just a case of internet misunderstanding. it's all cool :cool:

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='Dec 21 2004, 03:34 PM'] Sometimes the most Charitable thing is to simply tell people the Truth, sometimes the Truth hurts. I know I often am seen as harsh on here, but I make no apologies for it, I believe to Sugar coat the Truth is to corrupt the truth, and since it is theTruth that sets us free , corruption of the Truth is a sin in its own right. Morethan tha Failure to tell people the Truth and the Whole Truth is, far from Charitable, it is cruel and hateful. [/quote]
While I agree mostly with you. I do not agree completely. Even Jesus held off for the proper time to tell the Apostles some things.

John 16:12
"I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.

Isaiah 42:3
"A bruised reed He will not break
And a dimly burning wick He will not extinguish;
He will faithfully bring forth justice.

I am currently having conversations with a new friend at work about Catholicism. I think it would be foolish to give him too much information at once, though eventually I hope to give him the whole story. By the way, we've already gotten through Mary and the saints. There is alot to Catholicism and my view is that we need to bring them along slowly. It took 3 years to convert my Mother in Law from "Catholics go to hell" when my wife converted to a full blown Catholic. It is better to give them bits and pieces of the truth and be prudent in what you give them than to give it all at once when they are not open to it. Give prayer time to work as well.

Of course when asked directly, direct truth must be given. If that is what you are talking about then I agree. Both barrels, take no prisoners, hard truth. No arguement. With gentleness of course.

God bless

Edited by thessalonian

[quote name='VoloHumilisEsse' date='Dec 21 2004, 04:56 PM'] hey thess....could you give a link to where you found the book online? im interested

[/quote]
I'm having trouble opening it up but Catholic Answers at catholic.com has a review of the book on their website it looks.

Reviews (This Rock: September 1997)

Last I saw leaflet missal had it.

Here it is at Amazon:

[url="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0940535521/qid=1103666939/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-8806946-1104948?v=glance&s=books"]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=books[/url]