An Old School Catholic Message Board

Death

DancesforLove

Do you want to be burried or cremated?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

DancesforLove

When I die, I have decided this will be in my will, my money will not go to a funeral home or casket company so they can go on a cruise. My family and friends will take the money and go on a big vacation together and be happy! I will not have anyone viewing my dead body, no one will be having a get together for everyone to cry about being dead. None of it!

My family and friends will honor and remember me by taking that money and instead of all of the sad stuff go and have fun and remember me that way!

What about ya'll?

None of your options really fit me. I just want a regular funeral. Maybe cremation. I've seen an embalming in person and I'm not sure I would want that. Bottom line though, nothing too elaborate, just simple.

As I said in the other thread, I plan to be cremated.

Also, if you are in charge of the affairs of a deceased relative, if there is any connection to a crime or accident, make sure anything of evidentiary value is reserved from the fire. Cremation is a forensic roadblock.

I want a traditional Irish wake (including whisky). Then I want a Solemn High Requiem Mass (so my family has no choice but to go to a Trid. Mass at least once, and because they are quite awsome). Then I don't care what they do. Throw me in river. Makes me no difference. Definately no autopsy and no embalming. Let me rot.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='popestpiusx' date='Dec 22 2004, 10:07 PM'] I want a traditional Irish wake (including whisky). Then I want a Solemn High Requiem Mass (so my family has no choice but to go to a Trid. Mass at least once, and because they are quite awsome). Then I don't care what they do. Throw me in river. Makes me no difference. Definately no autopsy and no embalming. Let me rot. [/quote]
when you die, PSPX, I know [i]I'll[/i] drink to you...

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Dec 23 2004, 09:15 AM'] when you die, PSPX, I know [i]I'll[/i] drink to you... [/quote]
I'll join you! :D

JMJ
12/23 - Fourth Thursday of Advent

I'd like to make my own casket - something romantic about the notion, I don't know what it is. All I know is that they can dump me in the ground whenever they want, I really don't care. There's also something cool about the Carthusian form of burial - when they find one of the brothers is dead, they just pull his hood over his face, sew it shut, have a Mass the same day and plant his body straight in the dirt, no casket, no nothin'.

Here is the casket I want:

[img]http://www.abbeycaskets.com/temp/GlryImages/cherry1.jpg[/img]

It can be purchased from Abbeycaskets.com

If I wanted to be really fancy I would go with this one:

[img]http://trappistcaskets.com/images/premiumshapedwalnutmed.gif[/img]

It's made by a Trappist Monastery in Iowa.

JMJ

Abbey Caskets are nice - I know the people who make them.

St. Meinrad's had one of the Abbey Caskets in a room once (for use as a practicum tool) that a few friends of mine and I found. So, of course, we all took our turn inside the casket (you almost HAVE to do it) just to see what it's like inside while we're still able to recall it.

One of my friends got inside and we set a desk on top of the casket so he couldn't get out. He wasn't happy. ;)

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Pio Nono' date='Dec 23 2004, 10:20 AM'] JMJ

Abbey Caskets are nice - I know the people who make them.

St. Meinrad's had one of the Abbey Caskets in a room once (for use as a practicum tool) that a few friends of mine and I found. So, of course, we all took our turn inside the casket (you almost HAVE to do it) just to see what it's like inside while we're still able to recall it.

One of my friends got inside and we set a desk on top of the casket so he couldn't get out. He wasn't happy. ;) [/quote]
Ah, young seminarians at play... aren't they cute? :wub:

At first I thought making your own casket was a little morbid, but the more I think about it, the more it seems like it could be an interesting meditative exercise. Hmmm.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Dec 23 2004, 10:22 AM'] Ah, young seminarians at play... aren't they cute? :wub: [/quote]
:rotfl: