An Old School Catholic Message Board

Death

DancesforLove

Do you want to be burried or cremated?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Dec 23 2004, 10:32 AM'] I'd make mine out of papier mache... [/quote]
We used to make papier mache pinatas.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Dec 23 2004, 10:35 AM'] We used to make papier mache pinatas. [/quote]
:o

I didn't mean a pinata coffin... :freak: I just thought papier mache was inexpensive, easy to do, lightweight, biodegradable... and the kids could paint the thing during the wake, giving them something to do...

[quote name='Sojourner' date='Dec 23 2004, 11:30 AM'] At first I thought making your own casket was a little morbid, but the more I think about it, the more it seems like it could be an interesting meditative exercise. Hmmm. [/quote]
It would provide one with a daily reminder that death is inevitable and that we must always be prepared for it. I think it's a good idea.

[quote name='popestpiusx' date='Dec 23 2004, 10:42 AM'] It would provide one with a daily reminder that death is inevitable and that we must always be prepared for it. I think it's a good idea. [/quote]
Yeah, and the whole process of preparing for death by doing something so concrete is somehow really appealing.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Dec 23 2004, 10:38 AM'] :o

I didn't mean a pinata coffin... :freak: I just thought papier mache was inexpensive, easy to do, lightweight, biodegradable... and the kids could paint the thing during the wake, giving them something to do... [/quote]
Oh, I wasn't suggesting you make a pinata coffin ... I just associate papier mache with pinatas. :unsure:

It would definitely be colorful ...

JMJ
12/23 - Fourth Thursday of Advent

There was some famous author (English or American, I can't remember) who slept in his coffin every night, and told people that if they ever found him dead to just close the lid. :P

heyyoimjohnny

[quote name='DancesforLove' date='Dec 22 2004, 08:52 PM'] When I die, I have decided this will be in my will, my money will not go to a funeral home or casket company so they can go on a cruise. My family and friends will take the money and go on a big vacation together and be happy! I will not have anyone viewing my dead body, no one will be having a get together for everyone to cry about being dead. None of it!

My family and friends will honor and remember me by taking that money and instead of all of the sad stuff go and have fun and remember me that way!

What about ya'll? [/quote]
I think that's a really good idea, and I'd go for that myself, but... I'd wanna give people the chance to say goodbye, y'know? Whether I'd like it or not, people will be sad, they'll cry, and there'd be a mourning process. I think the open-casket thing is a chance for people to say goodbye, to let it sink in that the loved one is gone so that they can move on.

Anyways. My two cents. I still think yours is a cool idea, though.

[quote name='DancesforLove' date='Dec 22 2004, 08:52 PM'] When I die, I have decided this will be in my will, my money will not go to a funeral home or casket company so they can go on a cruise. My family and friends will take the money and go on a big vacation together and be happy! I will not have anyone viewing my dead body, no one will be having a get together for everyone to cry about being dead. None of it!

My family and friends will honor and remember me by taking that money and instead of all of the sad stuff go and have fun and remember me that way!

What about ya'll? [/quote]
Thats an awesome idea. However, i agree with Johnny. I think it'd be better if they had an official area to let all the tears out. I cant imagine telling people to give me a funeral either but they're gunna be sad no matter what, just imagine ur mom or dad dying. I think it's an awesome idea though, very selfless.

Edited by musturde

I dont want a nice casket just put me in a wimpy wood box. I also want a party because i want people to be happy for me because i am much much happier than them. I also want like and extensive amount of imformation on my gravestone so that people like me who like to take walks in graveyards can have something interesting to read about my life. But since i am going to be a nun i probably wont get any of those things. :)