justfran Posted December 30, 2004 Posted December 30, 2004 I saw it on the Online Users List just a few minutes ago and now it's gone...it was looking at one of the threads in the Debate Table. Interesting.
justfran Posted January 25, 2005 Author Posted January 25, 2005 (edited) no archive.org, although it hink it's been banned or something cos it doesn't come up on the wyaback machine. it makes copies of sites it visits so people can look at what sites looked like years back or something. maybe dUST should put robots.txt on this site and phorum or something, it bans certain bots i think. but i think the illegal ones still break past... Edited January 25, 2005 by justfran
Apotheoun Posted January 25, 2005 Posted January 25, 2005 [quote name='justfran' date='Dec 29 2004, 06:48 PM'] I saw it on the Online Users List just a few minutes ago and now it's gone...it was looking at one of the threads in the Debate Table. Interesting. [/quote] Fascinating.
Philippe Posted January 25, 2005 Posted January 25, 2005 i just went 2 there site to see the old site way sweet
jezic Posted January 25, 2005 Posted January 25, 2005 strange what people do when they have to much time on their hands ....
justfran Posted January 25, 2005 Author Posted January 25, 2005 Do you think that we should ban bots from visiting us, esp archive bots? i mean there is some pretty personal stuff posted here, esp in the Q and A forum, and I'm kinda uncomfortable about it all being copied and posted up in archives... and it'd be quite easy for ppl to find your personal information too. i mean all you need to do is post you first name, city and date of birth. you could get into government databases to find a Jane who was born on the 16th of December 1988 and lives in so and so city. it's kind of...disturbing.
justfran Posted January 25, 2005 Author Posted January 25, 2005 (edited) I mean...do you reckon? And also, people who do actually visit this site would know what it's about from search engines and stuff. They would at least know the sort of stuff that we say in confessions. with Archive.Org a person could look up our site on an index (they don't have an index for sites, but who knows, they might put one up in the future) and randomly click it, and who knows what they might think. I might be a bit of a security fanatic here but I know the dangers of letting any info leak out. My sister once picked up a stalker, we don't know what happened about that, but that was a real scare when she heard someone she didn't know inside her house. Also, if anyone remembers that hoax that my cousin had typed up and had probably nearly gotten us into trouble with the law with, I remember the next morning when i had told cmom i think to delete it, and there was an Archive.Org bot on the online users list. what are the chances that even the most well meaning person could have seen those posts before they were deleted? People could have put up some stupid or embarrasing post thatt they later wanted deleted but it's not going to work with the Archive.Org bot now if it's already made a copy of it. Unless dUST tells them we don't want the site (or the phorum at least) archived. Edited January 25, 2005 by justfran
justfran Posted January 25, 2005 Author Posted January 25, 2005 RIght I managed to find a robots.tct file generator which is supposed to only allow GoogleBot (for search purposes - i don't think i've ever heard of the other bots listed [url="http://www.webtoolcentral.com/webmaster/tools/robots_txt_file_generator/"]here at the robots.txt file generator[/url] before) what you do is copy and paste this thing: [quote]# Robots.txt file created by [url="http://www.webtoolcentral.com"]http://www.webtoolcentral.com[/url] # For domain: [url="http://phorum.phatmass.com"]http://phorum.phatmass.com[/url] # No robot will spider the domain User-agent: * Disallow: /[/quote] Name the file robots.txt (so use Notepad or something of the like), then you upload the file to the root directory of your server. (so you upload to phorum.phatmass.com i think)
rachael Posted January 25, 2005 Posted January 25, 2005 [quote name='dUSt' date='Jan 25 2005, 06:31 PM'] Yeah. I like the archive.org bot. It's cool. [/quote] cool like bedsheets.
justfran Posted January 25, 2005 Author Posted January 25, 2005 (edited) yeah well about that hoax that my cousin made, i specifically remember the archive.org bot and i am freaked that once it gets archived, sometime in the distant future one might stumble across it even though it's been deleted (but not from the archive), get the police and track me down and get me for something that didn't happen at all. I might have completely forgotten about everything and land myself in prison because of some grammatical thing in the message...I really don't want to go to all that. Please, upload the robots.txt to the phorum... Edited January 25, 2005 by justfran
Q the Ninja Posted January 26, 2005 Posted January 26, 2005 (edited) LoL, wow. Don't worry! Edited January 26, 2005 by Q the Ninja
littleflower+JMJ Posted January 26, 2005 Posted January 26, 2005 [quote name='dUSt' date='Jan 25 2005, 06:31 PM'] Yeah. I like the archive.org bot. It's cool. [/quote] it brings back so many memories of long, long ago
justfran Posted January 26, 2005 Author Posted January 26, 2005 (edited) [quote name='Q the Ninja' date='Jan 26 2005, 11:24 AM'] LoL, wow. Don't worry! [/quote] I'm not going to stop worrying until that robots.txt is up...i can't afford to put 25 years (I think) on the line for the sake of nostalgia...I really don't want to discuss it. I'm so scared I'm not going to be able to remember anything that happened that could save me. And what if I (I really hate to say this but it is theoretically a possibility) fall away from the faith and therefore reject grace? I really don't like the thought of that but things could change...we don't know if we're going to be saved our not. There are so many other situations that could arise...i just don't know! Edited January 26, 2005 by justfran
Philippe Posted January 26, 2005 Posted January 26, 2005 dust, they (justfran) has a serious concern. i think it needs more addressing then just "archive.org is cool. on a professional standpoint i dont think that kind of answer to a serious concern is acceptable
justfran Posted January 26, 2005 Author Posted January 26, 2005 (edited) i mean it's just...what if i forget? Everything? I mean anything that happens with this could damage any relationship with my family, esp if it was in the far future. Data could get stolen, lost or whatever, so could you please please please put of the robots.txt file dUST??? I really can't risk any chance of damamgine any relationship within my family because the police turn up, so please don't recover anything, because I just don't feel completely safe until it's completely gone. I can't risk the chance of anything going wrong, I'm scared of being disowned. And what if the sever gets wiped after the thing is recovered? I don't want to take any chances., because trust can be a very fickle thing. I'm scared no one will trust me. Please dUST, put up the robots.txt!!! It's so much easier! Edited January 26, 2005 by justfran
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now