An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dust

mulls

i noticed many phatmassers have had their number of posts transferred from the old phorum to the new (either that or they post 24/7 and are scary people). can i request the same service for myself? i know i dont have all that many, but its over 150, and it reminds me that i've actually gotten things accomplished while being here.

with that being said, i wanted to formally say a big Thank You for this site, for the kindness and understanding that you (and the rest of the crew) have shown me over the past few months. i started off with absolutely no knowledge of your faith, and by now i can honestly say i have a firm grasp of your beliefs. i also got myself a catechism.

if nothing else, i want to be able to show those in my family that are Catholic what they are missing out on when they are not in communion with the Catholic church (evidenced by all of your fervor and passion for God, each other, and the church) I wish i could take these people to my church, or discuss reading the bible with them. But since they think im some whacko in a cult ever since i've changed my life, i now feel confident that i could influence them to go to confession, or talk with a priest, things that they may be more comfortable or familiar with.

but i still love to learn, so i will continuously keep asking questions and gaining as much knowledge as possible, thanks to everyone here.

Edited by mulls

littleflower+JMJ

hey mulls! im sure dust will carry your posts over, he did for some other peeps...but everyone's asking so i'm sure he'll put you on "the request list"....and also since you've been with us for a long time now.....i'm so glad, its been soo cool withya here, sometimes i forget that your not catholic! hmm.....well, you've stuck it out longer than alot of non-catholics have on here and i have to say i'm very proud of ya'll. non-catholics like you amaze me...your doing great, keep it up and you know your phamily will always be here ......especially all of the cool creepy aliens from the Under 20 section! lol.

God bless you mulls and know that your loved by Jesus and His Mother, the Blessed Virgin Mary!

+JMJ

thanks, you da man.

and yeah, you're right about Jeter. you got me on that one.

but my favorite player of all-time, Donnie Baseball, is born-again (i'm pretty sure, i got to check!)

but my favorite player of all-time, Donnie Baseball, is born-again (i'm pretty sure, i got to check!)

Catholics are born again. :lol:

i knew you would say that!

but i know what you mean, and you know what i mean, it's all gravy.

Brown gravy is better than white. Unless the white has chunky sausage in it.

Mulls,

I read your post to dUSt, and, speaking as one of many participants, I'm glad you find Phatmass helpful.

I and others at phatmass want to help you know the truth and save your soul. I think by now that you have learned at least some of the Truth, but what I'm trying to figure out is why you still prefer the AOG. Perhaps you will explain that to me?

Here are some facts (which I don't think you knew before you came to phatmass, even though you said you were Catholic):

The Catholic Church was founded by Jesus Christ, who is God Himself, in Jerusalem, in 33 A.D.

Some of what the Apostles taught the Church was written down and eventually canonized as Sacred Scripture. It has come down to us in written form. Other teachings of the Apostles were preserved by the Church in other ways: through her history, through her liturgy and Sacraments, through her practices, through the writings of the Church Fathers, in oral tradition, and in other non-Scriptural documents. Those teachings have come down to us as Sacred Tradition.

The Catholic Church wrote the New Testament. It's her book. The New Testament is based on the teachings of the Catholic Church. The NT was written to the Church, by the Church. It was written by believers to believers. It is not an instruction book for Christianity.

The many letters of St. Paul were written first, before any Gospel. All the letters of the NT are written either to individuals who were members of the Church, or to the fledgling local Churches themselves. Read the introductions, and you'll see.

Neither the New Testament nor the Bible as we know them existed as a collection of approved writings until the Catholic Church was nearly 400 years old.

It was the Church that formed the NT and the Bible. The Catholic Church came first. The Bible came out of the Church centuries later.

How then can you continue to believe in Sola Scriptura (the Bible Only) as the sole rule for faith and morals (as the founders of the AOG interpret it), which is the foundational doctrine for all of Protestantism?

You left the Truth, the Catholic Church, founded by Jesus Christ in Jerusalem in 33 A.D., for the Assembly of God, founded in Hot Springs, Arkansas in 1914, by a group of Pentecostal pastors. Catholic doctrines are God's truth, revealed by Christ, who was God, to the Apostles. The Church is the recipient, guardian, interpreter, and teacher of the Faith that was "once for all handed down to the saints" (Jude 3). Assembly of God doctrines (except the ones copied from the CC) are man made.

Can you help me understand why you prefer the AOG when you know it's a man-made organization?

Please tell me why I should leave the Catholic Church and become a member of the Assembly of God.

Peace be with you, Mulls.

That was great Likos. That's what I want to say to every Sola Scriptura person I meet. You read my mind--except you read it more articulately than I do.

nippy316

if nothing else, i want to be able to show those in my family that are Catholic what they are missing out on when they are not in communion with the Catholic church (evidenced by all of your fervor and passion for God, each other, and the church) 

Mulls,

I pray for the day you join us fully. We will be enriched greatly by your enthusiasm.

but i still love to learn, so i will continuously keep asking questions and gaining as much knowledge as possible, thanks to everyone here.

Hey, that's what we're here for, to build each other up!!!

Edited by Norseman82

Where is Sola Scriptura in scripture???????

Hmmm...let me find it....it's verse...oh yeah, what was it??!

Oh, nevermind, it's NOT!!

or at least I don't think so.

**this is where Ironmonk, dUst, c'mom or Likos steps in to correct me**

nippy316