An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dust

mulls

You don't need correcting. Sola Scriptura isn't in the Bible. Plain and simple.

I know it's not, it was just a tongue-in-cheek way of putting it! It is my favorite way of opening dialog with the sola scriptura crowd.

I know it's not, it was just a tongue-in-cheek way of putting it!  It is my favorite way of opening dialog with the sola scriptura crowd.

You're just so clever!!!

Forgive my slowness, will ya??

Thanks in advance. :lol:

nippy316

Silly nippy. :P

The Sacred Scriptures don't tell us to base our Faith on the writings themselves. They don't claim to be "All Truth that exists." The Scriptures themselves admit that Jesus taught much more than all the books in the world could possibly contain...

The Bible also tells us that the pillar of Truth is the Church.

It tells us that if we have a problem and seek a solution, we should look it up in the Bible---NO, it doesnt! It says to take the issue to the Church...

So, I think the Bible is trying to tell us something...but we really have to be open to it for it to penetrate our hearts. If I hadn't been a cradle Catholic, I don't think I ever would have had the brains or faith to convert. Goodness knows where I'd be. :blink:

The Bible describes the Church somewhat too, a visible Church, founded on Peter, with bishops...of course, I could go on...but it's all in there, if one is only willing to learn the proper interpretations.

For misinterpretations, there are now around 30,000 denominations one can turn to, but none can claim to be the One True Church which was founded by Jesus Christ when He walked upon the earth. None but the Catholic Church.

i also got myself a catechism.

if nothing else, i want to be able to show those in my family that are Catholic what they are missing out on when they are not in communion with the Catholic church (evidenced by all of your fervor and passion for God, each other, and the church)... But...I now feel confident that i could influence them to go to confession, or talk with a priest, things that they may be more comfortable or familiar with.

but i still love to learn, so i will continuously keep asking questions and gaining as much knowledge as possible, thanks to everyone here.

Mulls,

Do keep asking, keep seeking...knock, and it shall be opened unto you!

A wise choice, to study the Catechism. You'll find sooooooo many answers there, and if you check out the footnotes, it will refer you to many Bible passages and writings of the Early Church Fathers, as well as other Church documents.

Regarding influencing your family...You may need to be the first to begin a great conversion process within your family...Lead by example!

When you begin to experience the great love of Christ in the Sacrament of Reconciliation, only then can you express it to them, and make them yearn to return to it...

When you can ecstatically say, "Father preached such love in his homily this morning," or "It fills my soul with such gladness when I receive the Body and Blood of Christ worthily!" They may begin to take you much more seriously, and not regard you as a "wacko."

Perhaps you will be used by God to lead your family out of the dark, putrid lukewarmness they're stagnating in, into the warmth and safety of Christ's Church, and ultimately paradise, just as Moses led God's chosen people out of slavery in Egypt into the hot desert, and ultimately into the promised land!

Your people sound as though they need a leader...When the time is right for you, I hope you'll visit a priest, reacquaint yourself with this wonderful institution founded by Christ, and give the Church another chance...then, welcome your family aboard the bark of Peter!

Pax Christi. <><

y'all reallly want me to be Catholic don't ya? almost as much as Bro. Adam!

but, (in my best Dana Carvey impersonation...) "not-gonna-do-it"

hahahaha :P

but, of course, i am always submitted to God's will. and i'll leave it at that.

littleflower+JMJ

you know i know this priest who really wanted a family and thought that he would one day get married....obviously he was wrong...God was calling him to be a priest and now is one of the awesomest priest i know...and you know what he told me?

"God will take you kicking and screaming"

and i have to say is very very very happy where he is at....of course that is what God's will is for all of us...

:lol: it true ya know!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...