An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hypothetical question

Phazzan

If a young girl is raped by her father, grandfather or any other immediate member of her family should she be entitled to have an abortion? I know your answers will be 'no', but what about the child? If I were the child in her womb, I would not want to be terminated, but then again I probably wouldn't want to live either, not like that...

homeschoolmom

Not to detract from you question, Phazzan, but I always imagine this as a horendous situation.

Let's say there's a family with a few small kids. The mom is raped by someone of a different race. So, now the child will obviously be of different parentage than the rest of the children. Keeping the baby would be difficult (do you tell him he's the product of rape? Or do you let him think his mother was, well, not faithful?) yet, with children in the family how do you explain putting the baby up for adoption? Explain rape to a child?

What a weird situation.

and now back to Phazzan's senario...

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Jan 10 2005, 08:34 AM'] adoption. [/quote]
So what about the child? Does he live in ignorance, or do you tell him the truth?

homeschoolmom

I can't imagine burdening the child with that knowledge unless it were necessary... and I can't imagine why it would be.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Jan 10 2005, 08:42 AM'] I can't imagine burdening the child with that knowledge unless it were necessary... and I can't imagine why it would be. [/quote]
Yeah, I think if I was the child, I would not want to know the truth, though I wouldn't want to live a lie. I see a moral dilemma in shielding someone from their past.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Phazzan' date='Jan 10 2005, 08:51 AM'] Yeah, I think if I was the child, I would not want to know the truth, though I wouldn't want to live a lie.  I see a moral dilemma in shielding someone from their past. [/quote]
But it's not really their past... it's more like their beginning.

Anyway, I don't believe a child needs to know all the details of their parents' lives. In the case of adoption, there would be no reason for the child to know anything more than that his birth mother couldn't take care of him (which would probably be true). I suppose as an adult, the child could seek to learn more. And I would hope he would have the maturity as an adult to realize that in this day and age with abortion so rampent, that his mother did a loving thing in putting him up for adoption.

Guest JeffCR07

Phazzan, its a good question, and I actually use a very similar situation when I begin any discussion about the issue of abortion.

I have found that most discussions tend to devolve into the pro-choice person giving more and more drastic cases, and asking "what then" so my technique is to head them off at the pass, right from the start. So I go like this:

Random Person: What, you're pro-life?! How can you be pro-life?!

Me: Ok, we can talk about abortion. First, I'll explain my belief, and then you can ask me any questions you want. I believe that a child is a human person from the moment of conception, and, therefore, abortion is [i]murder[/i] because the child has done nothing to merit death. So let's imagine the worst possible scenario....

An impoverished 11 year old girl is raped and beaten by her father and becomes pregnant. The family is already near starving, isn't an abortion ok in this extreme case? No. Regardless of the conditions, the child is, and always will be, innocent, and the deliberate killing of an innocent is the definition of murder. Thus, even in this most extreme of cases, to have an abortion is [i]still[/i] to murder a child, which is never permissible. So, what questions do you have?

That kind of tactic seems to work for me, and I hope in explaining it, I also helped to answer your question ;)

- Your Brother In Christ, Jeff

blovedwolfofgod

im with jeff on that one. that rocks.

In one of the letters of St. Paul, we are instructed not to put forth a stumbling block for people. I do not think that it would be beneficial to the child to know who their father is in the case of incest. What type of psychological impact would this have on a person? It very well could be a stumbling block. So, I think it should be hidden from the child in Phazzan's scenario.

[quote name='Phazzan' date='Jan 10 2005, 08:33 AM'] If a young girl is raped by her father, grandfather or any other immediate member of her family should she be entitled to have an abortion? I know your answers will be 'no', but what about the child? If I were the child in her womb, I would not want to be terminated, but then again I probably wouldn't want to live either, not like that... [/quote]
Nothing justifies abortion, and the circumstances of someone's conception are no grounds for killing him/her. If a young girl is raped by a relative, the relative should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and locked up firmly, far far away from any young people. If necessary, both she and her child should be removed from the abusive family altogether.

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='JeffCR07' date='Jan 10 2005, 11:08 AM'] Phazzan, its a good question, and I actually use a very similar situation when I begin any discussion about the issue of abortion.

I have found that most discussions tend to devolve into the pro-choice person giving more and more drastic cases, and asking "what then" so my technique is to head them off at the pass, right from the start. So I go like this:

Random Person: What, you're pro-life?! How can you be pro-life?!

Me: Ok, we can talk about abortion. First, I'll explain my belief, and then you can ask me any questions you want. I believe that a child is a human person from the moment of conception, and, therefore, abortion is [i]murder[/i] because the child has done nothing to merit death. So let's imagine the worst possible scenario....

An impoverished 11 year old girl is raped and beaten by her father and becomes pregnant. The family is already near starving, isn't an abortion ok in this extreme case? No. Regardless of the conditions, the child is, and always will be, innocent, and the deliberate killing of an innocent is the definition of murder. Thus, even in this most extreme of cases, to have an abortion is [i]still[/i] to murder a child, which is never permissible. So, what questions do you have?

That kind of tactic seems to work for me, and I hope in explaining it, I also helped to answer your question ;)

- Your Brother In Christ, Jeff [/quote]
awesome :thumb:

one of my firends said she would have an abortion if they took tests and they just knew for sure that either she or the baby would die. Her dad is a preacher. You can never be for sure that you or the baby will die i mean. aren't you giving God the chance to take a hand in your life by helping you through the pregnancy and saving you and/or your baby? I just dont understand how someone would be willing to kill a human life just because they are going to die eventually. that would be like saying "hey homeschoomom i am going to kill you now because you are going to die eventually anyway" ahh that is so wrong. oh and by the way phazzan no it is not ok for an abortion.

[quote name='karin' date='Jan 10 2005, 09:45 PM'] one of my firends said she would have an abortion if they took tests and they just knew for sure that either she or the baby would die. Her dad is a preacher. You can never be for sure that you or the baby will die i mean. aren't you giving God the chance to take a hand in your life by helping you through the pregnancy and saving you and/or your baby? I just dont understand how someone would be willing to kill a human life just because they are going to die eventually. that would be like saying "hey homeschoomom i am going to kill you now because you are going to die eventually anyway" ahh that is so wrong. oh and by the way phazzan no it is not ok for an abortion. [/quote]
I agree with you but I'm curious as to why you picked homeschoolmom as your example :P

uumm lol i dunno i think it was because i was thinking of the comments on this thread and she came to mind. would you have rathered i picked you?