An Old School Catholic Message Board

VAN HELSING!

FilmGuy127

Ok, first off... im really sorry to any of you who have seen this movie... you know what im talking about. secondly... this is kinda in response to a hellboy thread i saw... for anybody who has seen this movie or not... the main char. (hugh Jackman) is like a 15th century catholic james bond... complete with the Q branch located deep under the vatican... his job... protect the church and people everywhere from nasty demons... i won't get into the "merits" of this film... but i think anybody will agree that van helsing could easly beat hell boy in a fight... come on.

on a side note... sadly it seems that they are already in preproduction for a sequil... poor hugh.

[quote name='FilmGuy127' date='Jan 11 2005, 12:11 AM'] Ok, first off... im really sorry to any of you who have seen this movie... you know what im talking about. secondly... this is kinda in response to a hellboy thread i saw... for anybody who has seen this movie or not... the main char. (hugh Jackman) is like a 15th century catholic james bond... complete with the Q branch located deep under the vatican... his job... protect the church and people everywhere from nasty demons... i won't get into the "merits" of this film... but i think anybody will agree that van helsing could easly beat hell boy in a fight... come on.

on a side note... sadly it seems that they are already in preproduction for a sequil... poor hugh. [/quote]
Oh come on! It isn't the worst way to spend a couple of hours. Besides, if the media isn't mocking Catholics or talking about pedophile priests in a movie it's pretty good.

I remember seeing this movie with my friends last May. As one guy said, "That was sensory assault!" :wacko:

By the way, Van Helsing's sidekick was a friar who ended up bedding a woman before the end of the film.

It was very loud, repetitive, and not scary. The only redeeming value was the first 10-15 minutes, done nicely in black and white with style. It all went rapidly downhill from there.

how is this movie anti catholic? ill give you that its not a true representation of anything catholic at all... though it might be cool if there were a neat Q lab under the vatican... but how is the movie anti catholic?

[quote name='FilmGuy127' date='Jan 11 2005, 02:00 AM']
it didnt go down hill, it fell off the cliff. [/quote]
Amen bro. Preach it.

It makes the Church look like a bunch of insensitive jerks.

The cardinal is using Van Helsing to fight evil, by not telling him of his past, making him look like a prime spokesperson for the false philosophy, "The ends justify the means"

The Vatican insensitively orders the death of Frankensteins personable, kindhearted monster. This makes the Church look like a bunch of tyrants who dont love others despite imperfections.

Then theres the friar sleeping with the woman he saves.

There is anti-Catholic rhetoric in the film, which further makes the material typical of a bad movie.

"a sensory assault" in more ways than one

Edited by Luthien