An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question about Mary

AndytheConqueror

[quote name='spathariossa' date='Jan 31 2005, 01:48 PM'] I think a better question is this:

Why do protestants ignore and insult the Mother of God? [/quote]
Protestants do not ignore and insult mary but we don't place her on a similar level with God - surely that is insulting God!
she was human just as we are human, yes she was probably good in human terms but in Gods terms NO-ONE is good.

God Bless, Rich

(lol I just got a picture of all these saints up in heaven trying to praise God and having to keep stopping to read these prayer request being brought up from earth :P )

Edited by Rich*

Well Rich, first welcome to phatmass. It is good to see another Protestant face among us. Only a few years ago it was "Brother Adam the Protestant" making all of the same arguments. Glad to have you here.

You don't place Mary on a similar level with God. That is good to know. If anyone did I would be really worried. Catholics certianly condemn placing Mary in a divine light. That is the sin of idolatry. Mary is "full of grace" and all generations "shall call me blessed", or do you deny the teaching of Scripture?

She was indeed human, and the fullest embodiment of faith. She was saved through her Son Jesus Christ before any other human being was, at the moment of conception. She a the creature, the created, and she glorifies her Creator.

Btw, time does not operate in heaven. It is an invention of man. There is no such thing as time, so it is quite probable the Saints are praying for those on earth as the book of Revelation tells us.

Without the grace of God, Mary of course could have not been saved, nor could any of us. But what the Bible teaches about Mary is undeniable, especially if you hold it to be the inspired Word of God.

If you have never read "Hail, Holy Queen" by Dr. Scott Hahn I suggest it as a good starting point to the bibilical exegesis on Mary, Mother of God. It is very short and easy to read.

-Adam

Edited by Brother Adam

[quote name='Rich*' date='Jan 31 2005, 03:14 PM'] but in God's terms NO-ONE is good.

[/quote]
Mk:10:

17 ¶ And when he was gone forth into the way, a certain man, running up and kneeling before him, asked him: Good Master, what shall I do that I may receive life everlasting?
18 And Jesus said to him: Why callest thou me good? None is good but one, that is God. (DRV)

I know this verse very well, and I've seen this argument before. Jesus repudiates the term "good" for himself and directs it to God, the source of all goodness who alone can grant the gift of eternal life

If no one is good, then why do some verses call other men good. The Bible does not contradict itself.

Lk 23:

50 ¶ And behold there was a man named Joseph who was a counsellor, [b]a good and a just man, [/b]

Lk:6:45:
45 [b]A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good: [/b]and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth that which is evil. For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. (DRV)

[quote name='Catalyst' date='Jan 27 2005, 11:24 PM']
Mother of Mercy....unhhhhh yeah man. Jesus was mercy, His sacrifce was for our reconciliation with God, therefor for our mercy because we didn't deserve it. I [/quote]
If Jesus is Mercy, and Mary is the mother of Jesus, then she is the mother of Mercy. :cool: