An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kinda Sad...

Thy Geekdom Come

Thy Geekdom Come

I just saw an Arby's commercial for the new fish sandwich. I think we all know that this is perfect timing for Lent, and it would be perfectly fine for them to say, "just in time for Lent," but no, I'm sure they don't because that might alienate all the non-Catholic people who eat large amounts of fish especially this time of year...anyone else a little bugged by this? Maybe I'm just looking too much into it...

it may just be me but it seemed catholic were very involved with politics past year.. arby's is smart to make the offer now

I don't know, I have never heard any other food advertisement on TV mention Lent in anyway. It seems good that they are aware of Lent and aren't instead coming out with a new Super Hamburger. fish is good..

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='JazzforJesus' date='Feb 4 2005, 08:54 PM'] it may just be me but it seemed catholic were very involved with politics past year.. arby's is smart to make the offer now [/quote]
It's not that they have the sandwich...I'm just upset that it's obviously meant to be in perfect timing for Catholics and yet it seems that political correctness is so rampant that they don't bother to mention that they are trying to cater to us.

[quote name='Raphael' date='Feb 4 2005, 08:56 PM'] It's not that they have the sandwich...I'm just upset that it's obviously meant to be in perfect timing for Catholics and yet it seems that political correctness is so rampant that they don't bother to mention that they are trying to cater to us. [/quote]
I used to work at a Dairy Queen.. same concept.. they had a sale on Fridats during Lent,.. without mentionining the word Lent

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='VoloHumilisEsse' date='Feb 4 2005, 08:59 PM'] they could just not offer it at all.....be thankful for what you have [/quote]
Heh...I don't really eat at Arby's anyway...and I appreciate that they are doing this and I don't blame them for not mentioning it, but since they could mention Lent and probably get Catholic customers who would realize that they are making an effort to cater to them, then I wonder why they didn't do that, and the conclusion, I think, it that they are afraid of being attacked for being non-PC.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='theculturewarrior' date='Feb 4 2005, 09:22 PM'] Oh Rapture! Lent is back!

Shrimp and Cactus Tortas! :drool:

Tell me again how eating seafood is penitential? :huh: [/quote]
As a man who can have beef any time he wants, fish is penitential. :P

theculturewarrior

There's a restaraunt not far away that makes sandwiches on fresh bread with shrimp and grilled nopalitos (cactus), topped with lettuce, tomato, avocado, and sour cream.

I think I might abstain from meat the whole Lent! :drool:

:P