An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kinda Sad...

Thy Geekdom Come

theculturewarrior

[quote name='JazzforJesus' date='Feb 4 2005, 08:28 PM'] just a thought, what does a person that is vegitarian do on fridays [/quote]
abstain from beans?

Thy Geekdom Come

We are to give something up every Friday of the year and meat every Friday of Lent (and Ash Wednesday). A vegetarian, I think, should still give something up, but already has the meat part cut out for him.

[quote name='Raphael' date='Feb 4 2005, 06:52 PM'] I just saw an Arby's commercial for the new fish sandwich. I think we all know that this is perfect timing for Lent, and it would be perfectly fine for them to say, "just in time for Lent," but no, I'm sure they don't because that might alienate all the non-Catholic people who eat large amounts of fish especially this time of year...anyone else a little bugged by this? Maybe I'm just looking too much into it... [/quote]
Maybe if they catered to one specific group, especially a religious group, some people would have problems with it and they'd get sued.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Tony' date='Feb 4 2005, 08:58 PM'] I used to work at a Dairy Queen.. same concept.. they had a sale on Fridats during Lent,.. without mentionining the word Lent [/quote]
When I was 17 I worked at a McDonalds and during Lent they always made sure to have tons of fish filets made during the rush hours. lol The management didn't make any beef about stating that the did it because of all the Catholics, either. Just because their national ads don't mention it doesn't mean the people in the store won't. ;)

Yeah Raph, I think that you might be over sensative. Remember that we are supposed to be cunning and innocent. And if we are being persecuted then we should rejoice.

Also

O Jesus, meek and humble of heart, hear me.

From the desire of being esteemed,
deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being loved,
From the desire of being extolled,
From the desire of being honored,
From the desire of being praised,
From the desire of being preferred to others,
From the desire of being consulted,
From the desire of being approved,

From the fear of being humiliated,
deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being despised,
From the fear of suffering rebukes,
From the fear of being calumniated,
From the fear of being forgotten,
From the fear of being ridiculed,
From the fear of being wronged,
From the fear of being suspected,

That others may be loved more than I,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be esteemed more than I,
That in the opinion of the world,
others may increase, and I may decrease,
That others may be chosen and I set aside,
That others may be praised and I unnoticed,
That others may be preferred to me in everything,
That others may become holier than I,
provided that I may become as holy as I should.

- Rafael Cardinal Merry del Val

Edited by Theoketos

Thy Geekdom Come

James, not you, too...

I don't think anyone here understood my point. I'm not blaming Arby's, I'm not complaining about persecution. I'm sad that the reason they probably didn't bother mentioning Lent, despite that it probably would have increased their sales, is that it would have offended people. I was trying so expand on what a travesty it is that people are so offended by Catholicism, if indeed this was the reason they didn't mention Lent. Last time I checked, it was neither a sin to point out evil in the world and grieve over it, nor was it prideful (thanks for the implication with the litany).

Critical Thinking:

1. Arby's, by pointing out that it caters to its customers' needs, could have improved business.
2. Arby's did not do this. Why?
3. The only reason I see is that they feared what people would think if they seemed too Catholic.

I cannot blame Arby's for this, but I am disappointed to live in a society where we aren't open about religion...why can't Arby's put a little message saying that they want to cater to their customer's needs? If it were with special programs for handicapped people or fundraising for disaster relief of medical research funding, they would jump all over it...but why when they could improve their business but at the cost of appearing "Catholic" do they not jump all over it.

I can see where you are coming fro here. I don't understand why Arby's is not advertising there fish sandwich as lenten fare.

However I am also mildly amazed that Saint Patrick and Saint Valentine's day are both celebrated in schools.

I am also amazed that when I was in high school on ash Wednesday all of a sudden there were a whole bunch or people who did not show up to school. Their excuse? Ash Wednesday.
I can understand if we lived in a town with one church and it had mass at one time in the middle of the day. But the ash wednesday masses were always at 3:00 pm or later.....after school. Not to mention these were always the kids that were anything but religious.