An Old School Catholic Message Board

Constantine

gopherball33

sarcasmguy126

who the heck wants to see a movie in which s invade and try to kill people and take their souls, etc.???

thats so crazy :pinch:

White Knight

I saw this film, and wanted to throw a can at the end of this flick, it just plain, barfs on Catholicism, and praises demonology, satan worship and such.

This film is terrible.

First of all. the Arch-Angel Gabieral is not the Warrior Angel, Hes God's Messager Angel. The Arch-Angel Michael is the Warrior Angel. and another thing, Gaberial is not Evil, and him losing to satan is a insult to God's Power. Why they made Gaberial Evil, is beyond me.

The thing about how Constantine said Jesus didn't die from being nailed into the cross, but gets killed by the spear. WRONG!

The Spear was used to proof that Jesus was already dead, not kill him.

[b]This film as with alot of films today, this film is Anti-Christian. Period. [/b]

1st i'd like to say that the movie wasn't that great.
secondly, the movies representaion (or misrepresentation) of Catholicism was reprehensible.
half demons and half angels? laughable
constantine going to hell to see if someone there?
constantine damned to hell no matter what?
A bible from hell?
Constantine rescuing the girl who commited suicide from hell?
the list goes on and on

bty constantine did kill himself by slittling his wrists...thats why the devil came, to collect his soul!!!

[quote name='DemonSlayer' date='Jul 25 2005, 12:10 AM']What Prophecy series?
[right][snapback]657883[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The prophecy series is a tale similar in ways but with less criticism on the catholic side one might say.

The premise of the movie is this: In history before humans there was a war in heaven where the angels fougth amongst each other - what if such a war was to happen again?

This movies picks on Gabriel too, what Hollywood has against the ArchAngel Gabriel I have no idea, but it seems to be a re-occuring theme.

The prophecy series has much less special effects, but there are a few ideas that make you think about God, Angels, and religion in general. It does not specifically refer to any given faith. It does not contradict basic teachings on catholicism, but it does push reality a bit (Hey its a movie, movies do that sometimes).

Look it up at your local blockbuster, I am certain they have one or two. (PS; the first was the best in my opinion, the sequals just dont measure up)

[quote name='White Knight' date='Jul 25 2005, 12:51 AM']I saw this film, and wanted to throw a can at the end of this flick, it just plain, barfs on Catholicism, and praises demonology, satan worship and such.
This film is terrible.
[snip]  film is Anti-Christian. Period. [/b]
[right][snapback]657908[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well, you said pretty much what I had to say... only I was trying to say it a little nicer-like... but I love your attitude!

few things.

ya, it screws up catholic theology alot

did anyone else laugh when keanu reeve's character threatened to send the demon to heaven as punishment. and the demon was all crying at the thought. such a funny and original situation. (yes, i know keanu reeves character couldnt possibly do that, but it was cool because keanu reeves character knew that too, and was like "im just kidding, stupid demon, i cant do that"..and ofcourse the demon wouldnt know that. anyway, it was my favorite part of the movie.

finally, whats UP with literary works going to town with the "Spear of Longinus". The mythos of this spear "that killed Jesus" has been in MANY various works. does anyone know where the idea that this spear is powerful came from? like.. most of the time it's handled alright. ya, they totally screw up the facts with Jesus's death, but on the flip side they proclaim the spear to be powerful - which implies that Jesus (in the eyes of the literary work) true to be the Son of God. and, after so much anti-God/God doesnt exist in all of movies/literature it's kiiinda nice to see some sorta reference to Jesus's godliness. least that is what i grew up thinking. i suppose I shouldnt be satisfied with this scraps, and demand my "theological" movies to be 100% acurate.

i think that holloywood wouldn't really pursue any aspect of Catholicism that isn't "cool" to them.

You have priest in movies, but they are either wussy, perverse, adulterers, action packed heroes, or are questioning thier faith and/or vows.

Any religious ariticles are most certainly "talsmans," to ward off evil. In some cases, there is an attempt to explain this as what makes these articles powerful is not the aritlces themselves, but the faith of the people who possess them (which isn't really too far off in a practical sense---See Saint Pio's mention of The Rosary as the weapon and its beads being bullets).

Constantine is very gulity of this kind of thing.

What can you say though, it's Hollywood's idea of Catholicism.

It's offensive because is purposesly tries to re-present or fictionalize the Truth. Art must portray what is already there, not redefine what is True.

Constanitine employs the same logic as Dan Brown, who used reall things and religion. He then redefined what these were, telling a pure ficitional history and exgesis of already existing things.

This really doesn't make a good story.

I agree... 100% theological accuracy would be great, and educational... With Constantine the educational value is limited to a 'spot the fallacies' game.

I don't know much about the spear... but this other myth I belive came out in other movies that I often questionned. The myth goes that a man, a roman, was punished by God for taking part in Jesus' torture before He was sent to the cross. his punishement was to live forever, immortal in the flesh and on earth. The movies I seen that reference this 'myth' picture him as a man trying to find ways to die, to be released from life on earth -even if it means going to hell?!?!?

Does anyone know about this 'myth' and its origin.. i search a few places and books but never found any concrete reference to it... just wondering.

I thought Constantine was great!!!!! and I don't even like KR! But I heard it was based on a comic, and that was why KR was kind of wooden. Who cares? It was a fun film, entertaining as hell (oops! haha) :shock:
Go see it and judge for yourself. :D: The angel Gabriel was a kick, and I loved those wings!!!!! Gotta get a couple of those. :lol: