An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestants, The Church and the Bible

MC Just

[quote]I recently ordered a Not by Scripture Alone.[/quote]
Robert Sungenis's book? That is quite a work to get through. What was it, 650 pages?

[quote name='Honour' date='Mar 5 2005, 06:19 AM']I am a protestant and right now this is one of my biggest problems with my faith.  How can everything I am supposed to beleive be based soley on a book that didn't even exist until 400 years after Jesus.  I mean shouldn't there have been some phrophecy, mention of, or even hint about the bringing together of texts that would take the place of tradition.  It just doesn't seem to be there.  I recently ordered a Not by Scripture Alone.  Hopefully that wil help shed some light on this subject, I am completely confused on this subject, and don't know enough about it.  Just thought I'd share that though it really doesn't ad much to the debate.[/quote]
Thanks for sharing, Honour. I appreciate your honesty. Most non-Catholics aren't willing to admit that the bible does not mention the canon.

[quote name='Catalyst' date='Mar 6 2005, 04:43 PM'] because the roman catholic church began to abuse the bible. [/quote]
or because people like Luther started abusing it. The cannon of our Church goes back to the Coucil of Rome.

[quote]Catholics didn't invent the bible.[/quote]

Actually we did. Before the Church codified the New Testament, there were many different versions of scripture that were being accepted and used.

It was the Church that decided which were Canon and which were not. This was then translated into the Latin by St. Jerome. It remained unchanged until the Reformation where Luther excluded the "so-called" dueterocanonical books.

After that point, it has become a free for all with scripture. Many say that it is the KJV which is the "true" bible....hogwash. Many will do whatever they can to say that it was not the Catholic Church that codified the Bible.

The happy news is that it is precisely the Catholic Church that gave us the Bible. It is Luther who arbitrarily defiled it by removing books...those which he had no authority to remove.

[quote]There are versions of the bible today that are heretical...[/quote]

This is an illogical statement. There is only one Bible. Any other writing is extra-biblical and therefore not inspired....therefore not lead by the hand of God. dUSt was right:
[quote]But, if the Bible is truth, then it must be true that those who compiled the Bible were lead in truth.[/quote]

[quote]because the roman catholic church began to abuse the bible.[/quote]
How so??????

Cam