Tony Posted March 12, 2005 Posted March 12, 2005 I am looking to give myself a 3-4 hour "mini retreat" sometime soon (possibly this weekend) and wondered id anyone has done anything like this before.. and what activities they planned for it(Spiritaul reading, prayers, etc) I am going for a contemplative/silent type atmosphere for mine.. I hope I can find the oppertunity to do this (please pray I do!) I have no way to visit an abbey or anything like that so my home will have to make do.. just need to find a block of time that I know I wont be disturbed God bless
Catholictothecore Posted March 12, 2005 Posted March 12, 2005 spiritual reading, but than after each chapter or section, take a while to dwell on it. Meditate on it. Absorb it. In my prayers.
ForHimAlone Posted March 12, 2005 Posted March 12, 2005 That's a beautiful idea, Tony! Truly, we all need those times where we can retreat from the hustle and bustle of our everyday lives and just immerse ourselves in the presence of God through silence, solitude, inspirational literature, and meditation. These moments of stillness are so precious and so good for the nurturing of the soul. I would suggest definitely doing some spiritual reading... The Gospels are so good for really diving into the mystery of Christ Jesus- excellent place for some hard-core meditation! The Psalms are also excellent to pray and reflect on. Take your time with it, too. I'll definitely pray for your retreat! I hope it all works out for you! Let us know how it goes. Kathleen
Zoecool13 Posted March 12, 2005 Posted March 12, 2005 Meditate the Rosary....if you need to fill up a lot of time, do the full Rosary...all 40 decades (might as well through one in for good luck too, and make it 50)
Tony Posted March 12, 2005 Author Posted March 12, 2005 I thought there were only 20 decades.. 5 each in sorrowful, joyful, glorious, and luminous
Nicole8223 Posted March 12, 2005 Posted March 12, 2005 I've done something like that. I did a whole dya o adoration. It was so powerful. I thougth after an hour I would have been bored, but I stayed for like 5 hours!! Bring a good book, if you do something like that, a meditative book. St. Teresa of Avila says to never presume that our minds will stay focused. Bring spiritual reading to bring us back to the point of it all. Then rom there, your prayer will bloom. Hope that helps!
Catholictothecore Posted March 12, 2005 Posted March 12, 2005 I once was in adoration for three hours. That's when I discovered "The Hours of the Passion."
Zoecool13 Posted March 12, 2005 Posted March 12, 2005 [quote name='Tony' date='Mar 12 2005, 01:11 PM'] I thought there were only 20 decades.. 5 each in sorrowful, joyful, glorious, and luminous [/quote] You're right, my bad, sorry...not sure where i got 40 from...not a good sign considering i just did my math home.
Tony Posted March 12, 2005 Author Posted March 12, 2005 [quote name='Zoecool13' date='Mar 12 2005, 02:42 PM'] You're right, my bad, sorry...not sure where i got 40 from...not a good sign considering i just did my math home. [/quote]
Catholictothecore Posted March 12, 2005 Posted March 12, 2005 That reminds me! I've gotta go pray the rosary soon!
Carnanc Posted March 13, 2005 Posted March 13, 2005 pray the Rosary, and also take some time just to listen to God.
Tony Posted March 13, 2005 Author Posted March 13, 2005 thanks for the suggestions.. I will let you know what happens
IcePrincessKRS Posted March 13, 2005 Posted March 13, 2005 I know up at the University alot of times they'll have a "silent retreat" and anyone participating spends the weekend in prayer and reflection without actually going anywhere (similar to your "retreat at home" idea, I think )... it can be awkward when you bump into someone you know and they hand you a little prayer card or something but can't talk, they just sort of smile and walk away. lol
Meggie Posted March 14, 2005 Posted March 14, 2005 I love to do this in my dorm as it is old and there are several unused corrners that you can go and i will grab snacks and and my little half-bible and my notepad...its great and refreshing, even if it isn't more than an hour.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now