An Old School Catholic Message Board

Marian Apparitions

dairygirl4u2c

Do you believe in the messages at Fatima and Lourdes?  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Age old story, just different details. Just like at Cana, Mary is again instructing humanity to listen to her Son and obey Him.

MichaelFilo

Each one is a bit different. Fatima introduced the cult of the devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

God bless,
Mikey

MichaelFilo

Are you sure... 6 meetings, miracle of the sun, I don't know. Prophecies fulfilled, who knows, they may of held some merit.

God bless,
Mikey

Didn't any of you see the the Fatima Documentry. If you were to see it, it will make you believe.

Pope John Paul II said that Ourt Lady of Fatima said his life.

argent_paladin

You can't be Catholic and NOT believe the message of Lourdes. The Immaculate Conception was dogmatically proclaimed, requiring belief. However, one doesn't have to believe the actual apparitions, so it is not blasphemous to doubt them, as it is not blasphemous to doubt alien abductions. However, Mel, it shows a lack of respect, sensitivity and tact to come to a Catholic board and insult people's sincerely held beliefs. I personally don't believe in UFO's but I don't go on alien abduction bulletin boards and denegrate their beliefs.

• 2 weeks later...
CarpeDiem88

I believe that they may have happened. I'm not going to refuse that they didn't though. I was really sick one time because I prayed that God would take the pain from one of my friends and give it to me (NEVER DO THAT); I ended up on crutches but one day, as I was beginning to feel better, I found a rose thorn in my crutches. I was no where near a rose bush nor are there any in any place I go to. Explain that. It's either a miracle or a pure coincidence. I would have to say that it's a miracle. We were meant to see her. If she wants us to know she's there, she'll show us. We shouldn't have to be convinced though. That's why we have something called faith.

These two apparations are approved by the Church. So I do believe in them. It has come to be that when apparations are investigated by the Church, they are compared to Lourdes, and use the methods used to "OK" the Lourdes apparations.

MichaelFilo

[quote name='CarpeDiem88' date='Mar 28 2005, 12:51 AM'] I believe that they may have happened. I'm not going to refuse that they didn't though. I was really sick one time because I prayed that God would take the pain from one of my friends and give it to me (NEVER DO THAT); I ended up on crutches but one day, as I was beginning to feel better, I found a rose thorn in my crutches. I was no where near a rose bush nor are there any in any place I go to. Explain that. It's either a miracle or a pure coincidence. I would have to say that it's a miracle. We were meant to see her. If she wants us to know she's there, she'll show us. We shouldn't have to be convinced though. That's why we have something called faith. [/quote]
Actually, do taht often. That is a very holy thing to do.
Congratulations.

God bless,
Mikey

[quote name='MichaelFilo' date='Mar 14 2005, 10:06 PM'] Each one is a bit different. Fatima introduced the cult of the devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

God bless,
Mikey [/quote]
cult?

what are you talking about?

MichaelFilo

Cult, not as you would understand it in the very modern sense. The word cult was used to refer to the saints (ie "the cult of saints"). I should be more clear, this would be the defenition of cult I am refering to:

Devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.

As time has gone on, the term has changed quite a bit, but I use it in it's anceint context, most especially as teh direvitive fo the word "colo" meaning worship. So, what I meant to say was that Fatima introduced the veneration and devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

The Saints have been refered to as a cult in the past as well, if that should let the defenition sink in a bit better.

The fact that words change in meaning overtime is a big problem, especially for those of us who prefer their more historical defenitions.

God bless,
Mikey

Sometimes I think that some people were eating wild mushrooms to cause apparations, like in the one the girl said she saw the floating heads of bad priests in a burning lake of fire, I would bet you a dollar she saw the faces of priests that she didn't like. I am not saying that the visions were false, but I am saying that even if there were divine sent, they would have had some human stain mixed in...