An Old School Catholic Message Board

Marian Apparitions

dairygirl4u2c

Do you believe in the messages at Fatima and Lourdes?  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Monoxide' date='Apr 6 2005, 07:26 PM'] I am not saying that the visions were false, but I am saying that even if there were divine sent, they would have had some human stain mixed in... [/quote]
"Human stain" such as?

Are you Jesus? Are you perfect? There is nothing that we can do that our Master couldn't do better, hence the Human Stain. I would even go as far to say as when you are inspired by our Master you are still human, so you would make human mistakes, clumsyness who knows. Mabye little girl from the Fatima embellished her story a bit to make it more extreme? I cannot see our Mother giving a young girl images of severed priest's heads floating around in a vat of acid, can you?

As a youth I discovered something. When I prayed, it was when I was in need, sadly I was selfish, anyway, the prayer generally came through but it would often take many weeks, months or even years, but when they came through, they would come differantly than I expected, often with an unseen or even malicious cost. As a youth I reasoned that as our Master is not present directly on earth, the devil was tainting our Master's influence on us, but I realize that it is humanity itself that taints our Masters influence. It is our nature to be a bit selfish, and in our selfishness we could possibly corrupt any influence our Lord and Master has to give us. Arg I am losing coherancy again.

-Monoxide

"Mabye little girl from the Fatima embellished her story a bit to make it more extreme? I cannot see our Mother giving a young girl images of severed priest's heads floating around in a vat of acid, can you?" Could it be that the girl was insulted by a priest in some way or another, so she saw his head burning in a pit of acid while on some herself? I do not know.

I am not judging the Fatima visions, but I am not condoning them either. I have no right to say that a specific part was tainted, but I used the above as an example how it might happen.

[quote name='Monoxide' date='Apr 7 2005, 05:45 AM']"Mabye little girl from the Fatima embellished her story a bit to make it more extreme? I cannot see our Mother giving a young girl images of severed priest's heads floating around in a vat of acid, can you?" Could it be that the girl was insulted by a priest in some way or another, so she saw his head burning in a pit of acid while on some herself? I do not know.

I am not judging the Fatima visions, but I am not condoning them either. I have no right to say that a specific part was tainted, but I used the above as an example how it might happen.[/quote]
Did it happen?

Personally? I would say that I do not think the Lord's Mother would send a vision of hell to a bunch of pre pubescent children. (7 8 and 9 years old?) That is probably just me though, so well, I dont know? I didn't see them? So how could I honestly know? How could you? shway

We can't look at what WE think is right (i.e. not showing hell to young children), but we must have faith, that's #1. The only thing we have any right to look at is the fruits of the apparitions. From both Fatima and Lourdes, there are countless healings and conversions taking place daily...I have no doubt....I'm not going to question God.

• 1 month later...

When the Church approves a "private revelation" it simply means that there is nothing contrary to the Catholic faith within it, but a Catholic is not required to believe in any private revelations.

MichaelFilo

Fatima was a bit different from private revelation. Many onlookers saw Mary. 70,000 went on to see the Miracle of the Sun. That is not private revelation, unless, a whole city is private.

God bless,
Mikey

[quote name='MichaelFilo' date='May 10 2005, 08:06 PM'] Fatima was a bit different from private revelation. Many onlookers saw Mary. 70,000 went on to see the Miracle of the Sun. That is not private revelation, unless, a whole city is private.

God bless,
Mikey [/quote]
Still, in theological terms, Fatima is considered private revelation.
The Church teaches that Public Revelation (what is necessary for our salvation to beleive) ended with John.

The Church does not require Catholics to beleive in the revelations at Fatima.

Edited by Socrates

I find it awfully hard not to believe in it, though. I mean....not only did 70,000 including a whole lot of skeptics see it, but the Church has declared two of the children saints(or at least blesseds....someone correct me if I'm wrong) and the last person to see Mary at Fatima, Sr Lucy, just recently died and I'm sure will be declared a saint soon enough. With that much stock put into the visions at Fatima by the Church I think it's hard for any Catholic to not believe them. I'm not saying anything aganist any Catholic who might not believe it it. Just that I find it hard not to.

[quote name='SarahB' date='May 11 2005, 02:23 PM'] I find it awfully hard not to believe in it, though. I mean....not only did 70,000 including a whole lot of skeptics see it, but the Church has declared two of the children saints(or at least blesseds....someone correct me if I'm wrong) and the last person to see Mary at Fatima, Sr Lucy, just recently died and I'm sure will be declared a saint soon enough. With that much stock put into the visions at Fatima by the Church I think it's hard for any Catholic to not believe them. I'm not saying anything aganist any Catholic who might not believe it it. Just that I find it hard not to. [/quote]
I'm not saying I don't believe in it, I'm merely pointing out that the Church does not consider it public revelation, and therefore does not [b]require[/b] Catholics to beleive in it or any other private revelations. That's all.

Oh, I know you're not. I hope what I said didn't come across as me saying you didn't believe in the visions. And I know the Church doesn't require anyone to believe in them, which is fine. I just find it hard to see why some people don't.