An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Students in Baptist Schools

CarpeDiem88

CarpeDiem88

Alright, at my school, there are two families that are Catholic and me. We're all Catholic. We're in the minority by a long shot too. We go to a Baptist school and we suffer more affliction than anyone in that school just because we're Roman Catholic. Now get this, today, I was forced to recite the Pledge to the Christian Flag which goes, "I pledge allegiance to the Christian Flag and to the Savior for who's kingdom it stands, one Savior, crucified, risen, and coming again, for life and liberty for all who believe." I have no problem saying it, but when they point you out specifically to say it because they know you are going to mess up and say, "...crucified, died, and was buried..." instead of their "...crucified, risen, and coming again...". Okay, technically, that's not really my fault because I'm used to the Creed, and that's what I repeat almost on a daily basis at Mass. BUT TO PURPOSELY put me on the spot like that, that's wrong. Not to mention they also made me remove my miraculous medals, my scapular (which wasn't visible), my St. Michael the Archangel and my St. Christopher. Not to mention I wear a cross around my neck with all of that on it. They also made me take my Rosary down out of my locker because they said, "It obscures the educational facility." Okay, tell me how that obscures anything! It's my RELIGION! It's my FAITH! They keep attacking it on a constant basis and I'm really starting to angry. On top of all of that, I also get points marked off of papers because I manage to put some sort of Catholic doctrinal belief into my papers. Now who wouldn't when you ask a question that can be answered in many different ways.

Now tell me this, do you think it's appropriate for my school to be doing what they're doing?

AngelofJesus

A very obvious question, but I just am wondering before I answer (I need context). What are you doing in a Baptist School?

MichaelFilo

It's a heretical school, please only expect as much love from a heretic as their ancestors showed to Christ when they stepped out of the Catholic Church. Baptists have a nice track-record of being close-minded. While not all, baptist run institutions are usually very known for this (reference, see baptistboard.com). Essentially, they hate you for the Truth you hold, do not stop, their losses are temporal your rewards are eternal.

As far as the fairness behind it, expect to be persecuted rather than taught. Is it fair Christian in public school are made fun of? Not really, but anyone who doesn't embrace God in His fullness, will persecute you when they can. They have no love for kindness and do not try to teach, but like the Pharisees, they like to persecute instead of learn and seek the Truth.

God bless and keep fighting,
Mikey

Brother Adam

[quote name='AngelofJesus' date='Mar 29 2005, 07:38 PM'] A very obvious question, but I just am wondering before I answer (I need context). What are you doing in a Baptist School? [/quote]
Ditto.

CarpeDiem88

I'm in a Baptist school because that's where my parents put me. Remember, they were Southern Baptist until we moved to Pennsylvania. They still have the doctrine in them. They still believe Baptist beliefs, they just aren't as close-minded as my school. Technically, what I'm trying to say is that I don't have too much of a choice. I have to be there. They won't let me leave.

Edited by CarpeDiem88

MichaelFilo

I'll repeat, any heretical and apostate institution will not like your Catholic predisposition because the institution is tained by Satan and the people unknowingly carry out his works because they are under the yoke of his hate and lies. You can take a stand, but they'll just kick you out at best, which might be good.

God bless,
Mikey

MichaelFilo

Before you get kicked out, make a valid case in front of an audeince and explain what was happening. Get some of them to see how blinded they are by their hate.

God bless,
Mikey

AngelofJesus

"13He replied, “Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be pulled up by the roots. 14Leave them; they are blind guides.[e] If a blind man leads a blind man, both will fall into a pit.” Matthew 15:13-14

Ponder on this for a while. It speaks.

[quote name='CarpeDiem88' date='Mar 29 2005, 06:34 PM'] I pledge allegiance to the Christian Flag and to the Savior for who's kingdom it stands, one Savior, crucified, risen, and coming again, for life and liberty for all who believe."  I have no problem saying it, but when they point you out specifically to say it because they know you are going to mess up and say, "...crucified, died, and was buried..." instead of their "...crucified, risen, and coming again...".  Okay, technically, that's not really my fault because I'm used to the Creed, and that's what I repeat almost on a daily basis at Mass.  BUT TO PURPOSELY put me on the spot like that, that's wrong. [/quote]
Why would they care? Don't baptists believe the Nicene creed?

[quote]Not to mention they also made me remove my miraculous medals, my scapular (which wasn't visible), my St. Michael the Archangel and my St. Christopher.  Not to mention I wear a cross around my neck with all of that on it.[/quote]
Wait, so they didn't allow you to wear a cross? Why? Do they allow you guys to wear anything?

[quote]They also made me take my Rosary down out of my locker because they said, "It obscures the educational facility."[/quote]
That makes no sense. You could just tell them it's part of your faith. I mean, I doubt they could really use much force.

[quote]On top of all of that, I also get points marked off of papers because I manage to put some sort of Catholic doctrinal belief into my papers.[/quote]
I agree with you, just don't say its Church doctrine or that the Vatican aproves it. Then they can't do much to you. If they still do it even when u make it like ur own view, then u should talk to the principle. I'm sure they wouldn't want a bad reputation.

I would say that there is little hope of changing things at your school. It sounds as though the treatment that you are receiving is part of the offical school policy.

I think that your best course of action is through your parents. I suggest that you honestly assess how all of this is effecting both your faith and your feelings towards Bptist beliefs. Does it anger you? Make you dislike Baptists or fundamentalists because of it? If so, you should share those feelings with your parents in a meek and humble way - let them know if it is hurting you, your feelings, your faith, and your attitude towards others.

It does not sound like a spiritually healthy situation to me. I would assume that your parents are sending you to that school becasue they value Baptist beliefs in some way and may reconsider if they come to the conclusion that it is having the opposite effect than they desired.

They key is to talk about yourself and your feelings - not to compalin or judge others. Most parents are moved by justified sad feelings in their children and will act accordingly to them.

homeschoolmom

If you went to a public school, you'd have a case... However, you go to a private school. They can make the rules regarding medals, rosaries etc. Sorry.

[quote name='musturde' date='Mar 29 2005, 08:02 PM'] Why would they care? Don't baptists believe the Nicene creed?
[/quote]
I think most protestants recite the Apostle's creed. Not sure, but that is my understanding.

[quote]That makes no sense. You could just tell them it's part of your faith. I mean, I doubt they could really use much force.
[/quote]

Well if they are a private school they could expell her and what not...might be challangeable, but private schools operate differently from public schools because most are not state funded.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Paphnutius' date='Mar 29 2005, 09:24 PM'] I think most protestants recite the Apostle's creed. Not sure, but that is my understanding. [/quote]
Many do (Methodists, Lutherans etc). Many don't (Baptists, Pentecostals etc).

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

yeah,

since you go to a private school they can tell you to do whatever they want, and make up their own rules about relgion. And thats their right. They have their school's, and we have our schools.