An Old School Catholic Message Board

Married Priests.... Is this the future?

the_rev

[quote name='heyyoimjohnny' date='Apr 8 2005, 06:59 PM'] I really want to be a priest.

I really want to father children and be a husband.

I don't want to do both. They would would conflict, and I wouldn't be able to do either.

It might happen, but I don't think it would work. [/quote]
What does God want?

Is what He wants important?

Guest ryanseeley

Please forgive any nievity (or misspelling) in this post. I'm young (about 25) and a terrible typist.

I often deliberate hard on this topic, internally that is.

I have some questions that seem to relate so I'd thought I'd post.

First, I'd like to premise by stating that I completely and humbly submit to the authority and magisterium of the Catholic church. Given that premise, I note the two following facts. (1) I hear a conrete calling to the sacramental priesthood. However, (2) I'm currently engaged to be married in August, and thus also hear a concrete calling to be the head of my own "domestic church" (a.k.a. ecclesia domestica).

I was raised in the roman rite of the Catholic church, but have recently (i.e. since I was seventeen) been enamoured with some of the Eastern rites. However, what I like in the East, can of course be found in the West and vise versa. I've read church father's from both area's and particularly enjoy Athenasous and Chrysostum. However, truth be told, I really enjoy the rich heritage and theological contributions from Catholics in boths rites. What I'm trying to say is that I don't feel compelled towards one or the other. For instance, I truly cherish some of PP JPII's recent works on the theology of the body. However, I feel that the Eastern rite, edifies these teachings by specifially providing for married preists - allowing the presbyter to express to his flock a deeply sacramental expression of marriage through his own life. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, both rites are equally Catholic, and both hold equally compelling and true expressions of the truth.

I realize that it is NOT "my right" to be a priest, and of course considered (and continue to consider) the permanent diaconate. I realize that the Vatican moves slowly. I just can't seem to ignore these callings (a.k.a. vocari, ie. vocations) to both the sacramental priesthood and the married life. I want to serve God and just wonder how it is that he wants me to fullfill his will here.

Does God want me to go to an eastern rite seminary in the U.S. and have the respective Bishop ask for special ordinal permission pursuant to current Canon Law? Does he want me to go to a seminary outside the U.S. and then come back (which is what one married priest I talked to did)? Should I be sending this message to my local Bishop instead?

Anyone who might have an idea as to what God's trying to tell me please post a reply explaining your thoughts. References to scripture, encyclicels, or theoligical treatises are greatly appreciated?

MichaelFilo

I cannot truely quote any of those things, but I can offer my opinion. I am Eastern Catholic by birth, but Roman Catholic by practice. The Eastern Rites allow the reconciliation of marriage to the priesthood, because both are a marriage, one to the Church and one to the human bride. The priest is allowed to show the congregation the beauty of being married and lead an exemplry life so that the parishoners can reciprocate, copy, and learn from the priest's marriage and servitude to wife and Church. This is truely beautiful.

However, I cannot tell you what to do, nor can anyone else. Make sure you have a vocation to marriage, not just an urge. If truely it is both you are called to, enter an Eastern Rite. Write to your Bishop, however, and see what he says. Albeit, the Eastern Rites are more receptive to the married priests (some, other have been latanized so the practice is to not marry the priests), any Rites will accept one with proper permission. Just make sure you know, before you switch, if you do switch, the rules of the Rite you switch to about marriage and priesthood.

Again, talkin to the bishop will only benefit you.

God bless,
Mikey

Noel's angel

NO MARRIED PRIESTS. my Religion teacher is unbelieveable- she actually told us once that she considered leaving the Catholic Church because they wouldn't allow priests to marry or have woman priests how weird...

Brother Adam

I'm all for a group of celibate priests, but let's not forget, there are married priests in the Latin Rite, and it is standard practice in other rites. There is nothing sinful or wrong with a married priesthood, as is there nothing wrong with a celibate priesthood. In the end, I doubt there will be any changes in the Catholic Church.

phatcatholic

ryanseeley.............you may also want to get in touch with the vocation director for your parish, or find a spiritual director. they help people wrestle w/ these questions all the time and they would be in the best situation to give you the guidance and advice that you need.

Noel's angel

i get really angry at my parish- we have NOTHING. No vocations director, absolutely nothing. We have three priests and that's it and one of those gets nervous breakdowns now and again and he has malaria..... there isn't much hope....

ryanseeley,

Have you ever thought of becoming a deacon?

I wonder why the Church doesn't encourage more deacons. Anyone have an answer?

I happen to know a married priest. Great guy, and he has like 10 children too!

He was a former Episcopalian minister who converted. Just ask his wife if priests should be allowed to marry. Her answer is a resounding "NO."

You really can't be both husband and father and married to the church at the same time. One will inevitably get left out and that's not fair to the wife or the church.

• 2 weeks later...
MissScripture

Our Parish Priest was married. His wife died, and he became a priest (he was already in the process of becoming a decon when she died, and the Bishop asked if he would like to continue on and become a priest). And while having been married gives him a different perspective into family life, it gets really hard sometimes because he has family obligations for his children and grandchildren, not all of whom live near by. He would definitely say that priests should not be married (I mean while they are priests. He did like being married.)

geetarplayer

[quote name='m_ahmu' date='Apr 4 2005, 01:24 AM'] It is dissenting americans that are the biggest voice for women ordination anyway. It has nothing to do with the priest shortage but that femenist agenda. [/quote]
Did you notice that, more often than not, the women who want the Church to allow female priests also want the Church to allow married priests? Perhaps this is because they know that the lifestyle they are most well-suited for is married life. Guess how many women would flock to the seminaries if they were allowed to become priests but not get married? Not as many as they'd want you to think.

-Mark

Catholictothecore

it may happen with converts, like an example above, but the Church will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever make it a norm.

• 2 weeks later...
Smile_Jesus_loves_you

Well with Papa Ratzi, No adn i hope with the others No. It just Dosen't seem right!