An Old School Catholic Message Board

Evolution vs Creation

Priscilla

infinitelord1

Actually melchisdic,

there is evidence that a flood occured.......they think they have found noahs ark in a mountain in turkey. This boat frame fits the exact measurements that the bible says noahs ark is. Also, it makes since that a boat would end up in a mountain if there were such a flood.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Apr 14 2005, 12:09 PM'] Actually melchisdic,

there is evidence that a flood occured.......they think they have found noahs ark in a mountain in turkey. This boat frame fits the exact measurements that the bible says noahs ark is. Also, it makes since that a boat would end up in a mountain if there were such a flood. [/quote]
I believe it was the National Inquirer that first pointed it out. :cyclops:

Melchisedec

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Apr 14 2005, 11:09 AM'] Actually melchisdic,

there is evidence that a flood occured.......they think they have found noahs ark in a mountain in turkey. This boat frame fits the exact measurements that the bible says noahs ark is. Also, it makes since that a boat would end up in a mountain if there were such a flood. [/quote]
The supposed ark on mount ararat has been easily explained as ice. Since mount ararat is covered by glaciers, the movement of the ice would have pushed the ark from the top long ago.

burnsspivey

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Apr 13 2005, 10:17 PM'] I don't fear athiesm. Athiesm is a position of the fear of the unknown. Faith scares you because you can't understand it. [/quote]
How incredibly ignorant.

[quote]All you are capable of believing in is what is in front of your nose. [/quote]

That shows what you know.

[quote]The idea that creationism is spawned out of evolution is debunkable by a lesson in history a second grader could do.[/quote]

Creationism is spawned out of evolution? How does that even make sense?

[quote]And that URL is a lame excuse for evidence in macro-evolution.[/quote]

It's really easy to just dismiss evidence when it doesn't say what you want it to say, isn't it?

[quote]Here is some basic exploration for your study on both sides of the issue:

[url="http://www.baptistboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=36&DaysPrune=1000&submit=Go"]http://www.baptistboard.com/cgi-bin/ultima...=1000&submit=Go[/url][/quote]

Baptisboard...doesn't make me want to visit that site very much.

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Apr 14 2005, 11:05 AM'] I dont see any problems with evolution....i am no bible scholar.....but i think there are holes in the creation story that leave room for evolution......for instance......after the 6th day god rested. Since time is not a factor for god it may have been billions of years before he came back and made his final touches (the 7th day). Not to mention the second creation story in the bible which says god formed man from clay. I think that is reference to evolution. The fact is we have too much scientific evidence that says there was evolution (or that the earth is billions of years old). [/quote]
That's just evolutionary spin.

You'd make a good politician Infintelord :P !

No seriously: : let's assume then that you are right up to Gen 2:6 - let's assume that God created everything through the process of death and evolution over billions of years - even up to Gen 2:7a "And the Lord God FORMED man of the dust of the groud" - let's assume you are right and these words "formed man" mean that the soil God created turned into plankton, plankton turned into fish, fish turned into birds, birds turned into apes and apes turned into man in this process of God "forming man" out of the dust of the earth (more or less) such as Darwin said.

Why would God then breath into his nostrils the breath of life? (Gen 2:7b)

Do you interpret 'breath' as not really being 'breath' - or is it something super-spiritual?

Melchisedec

[quote name='Priscilla' date='Apr 14 2005, 02:12 PM'] That's just evolutionary spin.
[/quote]
More like creationist denial.

[quote name='Melchisedec' date='Apr 13 2005, 08:59 PM']

How so?

Explain please?

Nice shoes btw ;) [/quote]
May I list all the evidence *I* have against Evolution? Uh, the post might be just a [i]tad[/i] long. It'll explain why I think that evolution is not logical and horrible philosophy.

Yessssssssssss, someone who finally likes my shoes! Thank you! ^_^

[quote name='Dudette' date='Apr 14 2005, 03:05 PM'] May I list all the evidence *I* have against Evolution? Uh, the post might be just a [i]tad[/i] long. It'll explain why I think that evolution is not logical and horrible philosophy.
[/quote]
I'd be interested to hear even just a couple examples of your best evidence against evolution.

[Edited to add: my definition of "evolution" is the theory that life on earth shares a common ancestry.]

Edited by philothea

bro. adam, i like you more and more every day :)

just FYI, while the Church doesn't believe that Genesis is a scientific history of the world's creation. HOWEVER, it is a true account of how man came to be (because the Bible is ALL true, thank you Scott Hahn and Dei Vierbum for explaining that :P) and as such there are certain things that we ARE inquired to believe, most of which have been stated already. Here are a few:
1. God did it all. end of story (thanks cmom :P) the hows, to quote someone else, who cares, but God DID do it AND it was good.

2. there are TWO original parents, we did not come from monkeys, but at some point, God made a man and a woman to live in perfect harmony with him. without two, original sin makes no sense (if your parents weren't adam and eve, but sue and bob, you wouldn't have original sin!)

3. original sin entered the world by man and through an act of free will (ie. it wasn't an accident, it wasn't a punishment, it was because man freely chose).

and there might be a few more, i can't remember, but listen to Scott Hahn's lecture series on Truth in Scripture, its amazing.

sorry to cut in, just wanted to add that! :)

Edited by kateri05

[quote name='Melchisedec' date='Apr 14 2005, 02:46 PM'] More like creationist denial. [/quote]
Creationists don't deny that God could use evolutionary process to bring about creation: all things are possible with God. If that's how He wanted to do it, then that's how He wanted to do it.

It's just that since the Scriptures present the creation of man in a certain way, to believe that man is descended from apes would be going against the Word of God which clearly states that man is man in God's image.

Evolution is essentially anti-God.

I can't quite make you out Melchisedec? Are you a disgruntled believer or what? YOu seem to have a big chip on your shoulder over something? Some deep inner pain? No need to reply - just interested.

Melchisedec

[quote]It's just that since the Scriptures present the creation of man in a certain way, to believe that man is descended from apes would be going against the Word of God which clearly states that man is man in God's image.[/quote]

Considering that the ultimate result is man, some theist believe that it does not deviate from the bible in that regard.

[quote]Some deep inner pain? [/quote]

Not at all, in fact I don't know why a god would 'bless' an atheist so much. I got no complaints.

Haven't we had this discussion about eight hundred million times already? And it never gets anywhere... sigh.

Okay, carry on. :)

[quote name='Melchisedec' date='Apr 14 2005, 04:34 PM']

Not at all, in fact I don't know why a god would 'bless' an atheist so much. I got no complaints. [/quote]
Oh good.

Why are you on this site then? To rattle a few cages? ;)

Anyhow, about God blessing an atheist: yep, it's true, God send the rain on the just and the unjust - because He's a God of mercy.