An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ten Myths about Priestly Pedophilia

MC Just

I agree with the homosexual aspect of it. Basically because during the sixties and seventies, tons of homosexuals were ordained, while those with true callings to the priesthood, the orthodox, those who listen to the teachings of the church were rejected and put through "heretic litmus tests" by liberals.

I believe Michael S. Rose in "goodbye, good men" pretty much sums it all up.

[quote name='Socrates' date='Apr 23 2005, 07:07 PM'] True pedophilia involves pre-pubescent children (and is more commonly heterosexual.)

Ebophilia (homosexual attraction to adolescent males) is a common variation of homosexuality. The vast majority of the priestly scandals involved adolescent teenage boys. Very few involved prepubescent children or girls. [/quote]
Exactly

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Apr 23 2005, 07:19 PM'] Thanks for backing me up Socrates!!

Oh and Ephebophilia is not a medical term. It is a societal term. And it is an attraction to teens not just male teens. [/quote]
It doesn't matter what you call it - most of the activities in the scandals involved teenage, post-pubescent boys. This, by any other name, is homosexuality. Homosexuals are frequently attracted to young men, just as heterosexual men find young women attractive.

Jaimie, you have provided absolutely no evidence proving MC Just and I wrong about the nature of the activity involved in the priestly scandals.

If you can prove most of the scandalous activity involved girls/women or prepubesent children, please do so. Otherwise, you have no argument - just negation.

I have no intentions of proving that most of the scandalous activity was done to young women. That's not my point.'

My point is "Let's keep the facts straight".

I am all for removing predators from the priesthood. But the title of the thread is about myths. So lets state facts.

The article said that homosexuals are three times more likely to be pedophiles. That's false.

Ephebophilia is an exclusive attraction to teens. Not just to teen males.

Let's not answer myths with myths.

There are way too many teens here that read these threads expecting to see facts. Throwing out statements that are untrue does not help your argument. Nor does it help anyone reading it

Edited by jaime

[quote name='hot stuff' date='Apr 23 2005, 08:42 PM'] I have no intentions of proving that most of the scandalous activity was done to young women. That's not my point.'

My point is "Let's keep the facts straight".

I am all for removing predators from the priesthood. But the title of the thread is about myths. So lets state facts.

The article said that homosexuals are three times more likely to be pedophiles. That's false.

Ephebophilia is an exclusive attraction to teens. Not just to teen males.

Let's not answer myths with myths.

There are way too many teens here that read these threads expecting to see facts. Throwing out statements that are untrue does not help your argument. Nor does it help anyone reading it [/quote]
The quoted article may have used "pedophilia" a bit too loosely in that sentence -since the scandals are commonly (incorrectly) referred to as "priestly pedophilia" scandals.
Most of the priestly abuse cases, in fact, does not technically involve pedophilia at all, but homosexuality. That was the point of the article.

Thank you Socrates.

I think homosexuals have enough on their plate without having "likely to be a pedophile" added unjustly.

If the intent of the debate is whether or not men with homosexual attractions should be allowed to be priests.. well that's a different subject entirely.

crusader1234

Thank you to hot stuff to enforcing the need for clarity :lol:

Thank you to Socrates for clarifying

The only question I have is where do we get the information that most of the children involved were adolescent teens? Most of the cases i had heard of involved children under the age of 11 or 12 at the oldest... Most of the 'adolescents' involved stated that it began when they were pre-pubescent...

This is from the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York.

-- An overwhelming majority of the victims, 81 percent, were males. The most vulnerable were boys aged 11 to 14, representing more than 40 percent of the victims. This goes against the trend in the general U.S. society where the main problem is men abusing girls.
-- A majority of the victims were post-pubescent adolescents with a small percentage of the priests accused of abusing children who had not reached puberty.
-- Most of the accused committed a variety of sex acts involving serious sexual offenses.
-- The most frequent context for abuse was a social event and many priests socialized with the families of victims.
-- Abuses occurred in a variety of places with the most common being the residence of the priest.

Let me link homosexuality to pedophilia for you..

Police, judicial, and treatment records suggest that almost all pedophiles are male, and about two-thirds of them are mainly heterosexual.

-Pedophilia. Harvard Mental Health Letter, Jan2004, Vol. 20 Issue 7, p1, 4p

Lets use the generic 'stat' for homosexuality in humanity. 10%? We all know in reality that it is less than 2%, as even in liberal Canada the homosexual population is less than 2% (1.73%? Stats Can will tell the answer!)

Lets look at the excerpt from the Harvard Study:

2 out of every 3 pedophiles are heterosexual.
Obviously this means that
1 out of every 3 pedophiles is a homosexual.

if 10% of population is gay..

1 out of every 10 males will be homosexual.
and
9 out of every 10 males will be heterosexual.

...double-take....

if 1 out of 10 males are homosexual,
and 1 out of 3 pedophiles are homosexual...

If you dont see it now ill explain it further...

Homosexuals are an obvious minority in todays society. (Say 1 in 50 men are gay). Lets get a room of 50 male pedophiles. According to society, 1 of these pedophiles should be gay. According the the Harvard Study, 17 of these pedophiles are gay. From my statistics days I do believe that a statistical anomaly is about +-2.5% on a set of 100, so given the best case, 16 of the men in the room will be homosexual. (Dont get me wrong, 34 heterosexuals is a horrible number).

Some math with the socially set and accepted homosexual number (10%)
4.3 times more likely to be a pedophile if your homosexual.
If your assuming the homosexual population is 10% which is NOT.
A more accurate percentage is 2%.. your
17.2 times more likely to be a pedophile.
or a homosexual has a 1720% greater chance of being a pedophile if your homosexual.
QED

(I would check my math on the 17.2, I think it is actually higher..)

Let's take Monoxide's twisted interpretation of statistics even further shall we?

According to the Bureau of Justice 67% of all pedophiles are white and 32% of all pedophiles are african american.

6% of the population are african american males (US Census)

By your math Monoxide, an African American male is six times more likely to be a pedophile.

Want to keep spouting statistics?

See this is the problem with statistics. The untrained person can extrapolate just about anything by applying hard numbers. Let's try some statistics that actually make sense shall we?

98% of all pedophiles report that they were victims of sexual abuse as children. That is a far more telling statistic than your fuzzy math.

Fuzzy math? Twisted interpretation? I obviously set it up straight forward - no twisting of logic here... Wow you linked black people to pedophilia! It is a common fact that there is a higher percentage of black homosexuals, which is visible with your statistic. There is several reasons for this, poverty, social pressure and lack of religeon. I do not wish to argue the joys of black culture here however. (Dont get me wrong, there are many smarter and more pious black people than I, im not judging anyone)

[quote]It is a common fact that there is a higher percentage of black homosexuals, which is visible with your statistic. [/quote]

As you continue to pull statistics out of your.... hat, let's quote actual statistics

2001 Gay/Lesbian Census statistics

88% of homosexuals are white
3% are african american

[quote]There is several reasons for this, poverty, social pressure and lack of religeon.[/quote]

ave income from the same study

Men Women
Under $30K 12% 20%
$30K - $69,999 37% 41%
$70K - $99,999 22% 20%
$100K + 29% 16%

Want to discuss facts monoxide or continue on making ignorant statements?

98% of pedophiles were abused as children? So I guess that by letting homosexuals have free reign we are corrupting children, but you will deny this of course.

Seriously, the edacity of some people, swallowing whatever modern culture says is true. It is futile to argue with someone like this, as modern culture has deemed it necessary to make homosexuals all-encompassing on society. Once society has accepted homosexuality (it is having trouble, as many people still have scruples) Even your puerile argument will trump statistics and well reasoned, logical statements.

Open your eyes
Turn off the TV
Live

[quote]Seriously, the edacity of some people, swallowing whatever modern culture says is true[/quote]

edacity - excessive desire to eat food.

I think you meant audacity.

Tough to be insulted when someone's using wrong words.

I quote actual statistics. You make them up. Without actual facts, you are incapable of making well reasoned or logical statements. You are simply making statements based on the fact that you don't like "those people". Who needs to open their eyes Monoxide? If you did, you might be able to... I don't know... read?

Ignorance breeds contempt folks. Catholics who are struggling with homosexual attractions do not need our contempt. They need our love.