An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dress Codes

Priscilla

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen considered head coverings a divine command... and I have recently come to fully side with him on this, I think it is a divine command and the Vatican ought to issue new regulations to at least re-normalize if not re-require the head covering

currently, however, there is no requirement and women are just fine if they don't wear one, as most no longer do. however, when I looked into it it came accross to me like the Vatican never really wanted to take away this tradition it just sort of happened and pandora's box syndrom set in throughout the Church. so yeah, I'd at least like to see some document that makes them out to be normal in the Church at least.

Well I agree with you both - I believe a head covering for women is very appropriate and comely in worship.

What is a "mantilla" - is it a scarf?

I always wear a head-covering and it is usually a scarf. I used to wear hats, but they can get showy and I stuck out like a sore thumb because I was the only woman in church to wear one.

But I'm glad to see it is a practice which is considered divine by the Catholic church. I believe that to be true.

Edited by Priscilla

Myles Domini

Mantilla: [url="http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=mantilla"]http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=mantilla[/url] ;)

A good article on the Mantilla: [url="http://www.latin-mass-society.org/wearmantilla.htm"]http://www.latin-mass-society.org/wearmantilla.htm[/url]

FutureSoror

Thanks, Myles, I'll think of you and what you said next time I try to deciede whether or not to wear a chapel veil/mantilla at a church where most people don't.

MichaelFilo

Mass is the pinnacle of Catholic worship. No other form of sacrafice or worship is as pleasing to God as the Mass is. Dressing appropriatly is very neccessary. As I've noticed, the parish closer to me has alot of girls with shorts that violate school dress codes at Mass. The skirts are abominable. The cuts on the shirts are scandelous. Albiet, I decided long ago that there are less people who go there for sincere worship than to fulfill a Sunday obligation that they were brought up to respect but never understood (since this generation(and by that, I mean the adults) seemed to have skipped out on the learning of the Faith).

Over at the parish I go to on Sunday's dress is much more modest, and everyone is beautifully dressed, although once in a while those "dress-to-impress" types seem to over do it.

At the downtown parish, a request to dress properly was posted on all the doors. There wasn't much of a problem, but it is prevelant amongst the young.

Catholics have standards. Catholics who go to Church for the Mass tend to dress within those standards. Catholics who go to fulfill an obligation usually don't.

As for myself, even to daily Mass I dress up. It would be blasphemy to show less than your utmost respect in dress, manner, posture, and Faith in the Mass.

God bless,
Mikey

marboniface

A dress code for Mass should follow certain principles:

1. That the dress should 'mirror' an internal dispostion towards God; and that dispostion should be humble, charitable, hopeful and faithful. Dress which bespeaks 'pride' either of one's body, or wealth, or self-image (eg. revealing clothes, luxurious clothes, or fashionable/idiological clothes respectively) should be shunned, just as the internal dispostions of pride should be shunned. Instead clothes should reflect a soul which is modest and humble before God, which is kept well and carefully for the love of God and which seeks not its own glory but the glory of God. So one's dress should be humble, but well kept and neat; it should be the clothes of one who is going to the worship of God.

2. Dress also should not be a distraction to others in Mass, thus excessively revealing clothes and all forms of excessive flamboyance should be tempered.

3. Dress should be an example to others, particularly those who do are visitors to the Church or are new to the Church. So insofar as clothes can communicate certain ideals and virtues, this form of communication can be taken into consideration when dressing for Mass. The fruits of the Holy Ghost can be considered here (in reverse order), for 'by their fruits you shall know them':
Chastity - modesty of dress
Self-Controll - clothes which has been chosen carefully and not on impulse
Modesty - avoidance of flamboyance
Faithfulness - consistancy of wearing 'Sunday best'
Gentleness - avoidance of 'power dressing'
Generousity - clothes which is clearly intended for use at Sunday Mass only
Goodness - more to do with the wearer, but clothes is good insofar as it is suitable to its use
Kindness - avoidance of distracting clothes
Patience - clothes which is well kept and ironed, which requires lots of patience
Peace - the clothes should not be in conflict with the person - ie. if you wear a collar and tie, don't be pulling at it and rolling your eyes.
Joy - the very fact that the Sunday Mass and communion is such a cause of joy to you that you prepare yourself both spiritually and corporeally is a sign of joy.
Charity - more to do with the person: dress for Mass and focus on the Mass, not on how you or others are dressed.

marboniface

let_go_let_God

I am also a young adult, (19 in college) and it depends on which mass I go to. If I go the college mass at the college I will wear jeans and a t-shirt. If I go to a local parish I will typically wear slack and a sweater or blouse. I try to make sure that I am showing nothing. In or out of mass.

God bless-
LGLG

toledo_jesus

I personally never wear jeans to Mass. However, if a person looks good and well put-together wearing jeans, and a sweater or something, then that's cool.
I make it a point to do my best for God, even in clothing.

MilesChristi

[quote]Dress should be an example to others, particularly those who do are visitors to the Church or are new to the Church. So insofar as clothes can communicate certain ideals and virtues, this form of communication can be taken into consideration when dressing for Mass. The fruits of the Holy Ghost can be considered here (in reverse order), for 'by their fruits you shall know them':
Chastity - modesty of dress
Self-Controll - clothes which has been chosen carefully and not on impulse
Modesty - avoidance of flamboyance
Faithfulness - consistancy of wearing 'Sunday best'
Gentleness - avoidance of 'power dressing'
Generousity - clothes which is clearly intended for use at Sunday Mass only
Goodness - more to do with the wearer, but clothes is good insofar as it is suitable to its use
Kindness - avoidance of distracting clothes
Patience - clothes which is well kept and ironed, which requires lots of patience
Peace - the clothes should not be in conflict with the person - ie. if you wear a collar and tie, don't be pulling at it and rolling your eyes.
Joy - the very fact that the Sunday Mass and communion is such a cause of joy to you that you prepare yourself both spiritually and corporeally is a sign of joy.
Charity - more to do with the person: dress for Mass and focus on the Mass, not on how you or others are dressed.[/quote]

Wow, that's a really cool way of thinking about it, marboniface. :)

MichaelFilo

I second that opinion.

And I have trouble thinking pants in general are fitting during Mass, but I won't say anything more about that.

God bless,
Mikey

Al, Bishop Sheen believes it is of Divine Comand? Now I've heard everything. You know the trads believe this, and vehemently argue for it?

It's a mystery. But when the Scripture says "...because of the angels" a woman should cover her head, that's good enough for me. Em, right now I've had it w/ the subservient thing, 'cause I'm having bad hangover from stupid Jansenist trads ([i]my brethren[/i], take a hike, boys!) dissecting every bleeping thing a woman does and wears.

Mr. S in the CFNews did an 8 part series on head coverings, I kid you not.

I cover my head. I don't care about sticking out if I wear a hat instead of a veil. Esp. when the little ones are around, a veil can be nothing but distracting.

Pope Pius XI was the last (I've seen anyway) who laid down modesty requirements specifically, and I've heard it argued that they are still in force...however, in the past ten years, I''ve seen reprints of them, as follows:

[i]"...a dress cannot be called decent if it scarcely covers the elbows [/i][due to current market conditions, 3/4 length sleeves are acceptable]..."

And then I think I saw THAT one updated, from 3/4 length sleeves.

Now I am one who used to sew her own clothes, due to impossible market conditions. It was easy then, w/ pregnancy and nursing, much harder to make fitted clothing. I refuse to wear bags unless I must. Then I got sick...and then my son, and on and on it goes; and it's too hard to sew anymore. It can be quite expensive to sew as well.

But at Mass, we're modest, no doubt about that.

Edited by Donna

argent_paladin

Orthodox Jews, Eastern Orthodox and Muslims all prescribe head coverings for women and modest dress for all, to show respect for God. In most Eastern Orthodox churches, they won't even let a woman in who is wearing pants or who has exposed shoulders or knees (or an uncovered head).
And St. Peter's itself in Vatican City has a strict dress code, even for tourists, even in the heat of August. No exposed knees or shoulders. Modesty is important.
And this is just my own personal practice, but I won't consider asking a woman out if she doesn't wear a dress or long skirt to mass. That is key.

• 2 weeks later...
Thomas Michael

[quote name='argent_paladin' date='Apr 28 2005, 05:46 AM'] Orthodox Jews, Eastern Orthodox and Muslims all prescribe head coverings for women and modest dress for all, to show respect for God. In most Eastern Orthodox churches, they won't even let a woman in who is wearing pants or who has exposed shoulders or knees (or an uncovered head).
And St. Peter's itself in Vatican City has a strict dress code, even for tourists, even in the heat of August. No exposed knees or shoulders. Modesty is important.
[/quote]
Now if only the Vatican could implement their dress code for all their churches. Here in Texas I'm always seeing women attending Mass in halters, spaghetti straps or strapless tops/dresses. And don't get me started on weddings. <_<

[quote name='MichaelFilo' date='Apr 27 2005, 08:52 PM'] And I have trouble thinking pants in general are fitting during Mass, but I won't say anything more about that.

God bless,
Mikey [/quote]
Okay, I won't wear pants to mass anymore!
Next mass I go to, I won't be wearing any pants! (and if they stare at me, too bad!)