An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dress Codes

Priscilla

MichaelFilo

I meant for women. But that was very funny, even if you knew what I meant.

God bless,
Mikey

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Priscilla' date='Apr 25 2005, 06:39 AM'] How do you all feel about females wearing trousers?

Is that allowed by the Pope?

And what about head coverings? Doesn't the Apostle Paul say that ladies should not pray or prophesy without wearing a head covering? [/quote]
There is no problem with women wearing pants to church and head coverings are not required.

yeah, there is no one in the hiearchy currently requiring girls to wear head coverings, but no one's stopping you either and it is a very ancient tradition of the Church dating back to St. Paul with the support of great popes and saints through the centuries.

ok, i'm starting to see a problem with dress code in my own chior at church too, one day there was a girl that was supposed to be singing the responsorial at the ambo, but she was wearing a tight polo shirt which showed her stomach (and hate to say it, but she's not exactly the skinniest girl there), ripped jeans, and and a barbell earring in her ear that said "smell of elderberries this", and i had to fight to sing it instead of her b/c of how she was dressed. they didn't like the way i came across b/c i kinda took it over, but they let me do it anyway. the others just look sloppy in redneck tshirts and jeans. I'm like the only one there that looks appropriate anymore, but then again, i'm doing two masses on sundays (one's a little more casual than the other, so i would be a little more dressy). i admit that sometimes i'm guilty of wearing a tshirt and jeans to mass, but i at least make sure they are a NICE pair and a nice shirt. and if any skin happens to show, then it's unintended, but i just try to avoid those kind of shirts.

MichaelFilo

When did jeans become approrpriate for Mass? I mean really, they were made to be work pants... common..

God bless,
Mikey

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='MichaelFilo' date='May 8 2005, 03:14 AM'] When did jeans become approrpriate for Mass? I mean really, they were made to be work pants... common..

God bless,
Mikey [/quote]
When they cost 50 dollars a pair. :)
no longer work pants but fashionable.

• 8 years later...

ok, i'm starting to see a problem with dress code in my own chior at church too, one day there was a girl that was supposed to be singing the responsorial at the ambo, but she was wearing a tight polo shirt which showed her stomach (and hate to say it, but she's not exactly the skinniest girl there), ripped jeans, and and a barbell earring in her ear that said "smell of elderberries this", and i had to fight to sing it instead of her b/c of how she was dressed. they didn't like the way i came across b/c i kinda took it over, but they let me do it anyway. the others just look sloppy in redneck tshirts and jeans. I'm like the only one there that looks appropriate anymore, but then again, i'm doing two masses on sundays (one's a little more casual than the other, so i would be a little more dressy). i admit that sometimes i'm guilty of wearing a tshirt and jeans to mass, but i at least make sure they are a NICE pair and a nice shirt. and if any skin happens to show, then it's unintended, but i just try to avoid those kind of shirts.

I ve been required to wear a cassock and surplice for being immodestly dressed. The church puts it on me so i cant take it off. basically im stuck in it with the clip they use in the back to hold the collar locked shut.

havok579257

let me just say, as a man its a lot easier for me and dressing for mass.  I mean I can throw on some dress pants and a collar shirt and I am good to go and no one will complain.  Its got to be tough to be a woman.  If you dress nice but wear pants, then people complain because your not wearing a dress.  Then if you dress up but don't cover your head, others will also complains because your not wearing a head covering.  Then there are people who complain because your dress when you sit comes an inch above your knee or you can see part of your upper arm or your dress shows your collar bone because us men are obviously so weak that we see an uncovered knee and we fall into mortal sin and then everyone blames you. Overall, its much easier for men to dress for mass than women.  I feel bad for how much of an issue people take with how women dress for mass.

Credo in Deum

When did jeans become approrpriate for Mass? I mean really, they were made to be work pantaloons... common..

God bless,
Mikey

You've never heard of the Canadian Tuxedo? 

1970s.jpg

I being a young teen, 14, know that a lot of people in the two churches I go to dress immodestly. I see my classmates wearing really, I mean really, short skirts to Mass when we go as a school. I see some of the girls wearing the short shorts and a spaghetti strap top to Mass, but then I see some of them wearing most dresses that are cute and trendy!

During daily mass in the summer I will wear kaki shorts and a t-shirt since I will have an alb (the white dress type thing the server wears) because I serve the Masses during the summer. I think to daily Mass a person could wear less dressed up clothing but also something that is modest. 

I prefer dress cyphers.

And gaze upon the glory that is Yellowjacket Greenapple!

YellowjacketGreenapple.jpg

Edited by Winchester

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

A priest told me hats are for protection from something and shouldn't be worn in the church building, he didn't say couldn't but shouldn't. I guess that goes for dress as well, if it's hot wear a singlet, that's what singlets are for, if it's cold don't wear a singlet where a jacket. If it's mild where appropriate clothing for mild weather bearing in mind that the temperature could drop any minute, your going to freeze more in the cold wearing summer clothes than over heat in the heat if wearing spring or autumn clothes. I don't like bear stomachs or thighs because it is in compromisingly close range to the sex organ which can whether you like it or not be direct temptation for others, including short shorts for men, this kind of clothing may be semi appropriate casually in summer around and about but not really in holy mass, there are plenty of less revealing light summer uniforms out there that are beautiful and not sexy.

On the whole singlet thing i'm happy for joe blo rocking into the chapel after laboring all day for holy mass in his singlet in the middle of summer sweat dripping everywhere without the time for having a shower, though perhaps singlets for men in general during holy mass may be inappropriate, on this matter i know not but for me personally if you haven't got mad tats religious or not(don't forget good daughters and sons that have religious tats, if you can why can not the prodigals and converts show there's too? Fairs fair, in public of course different) everywhere over your arms than it should be ok for any man or women if she or he so chooses.

Anyhow if i keep going i will add more than needed which i probably already have.

Ok hope that helps, God bless you O.P.

All Glory to God.

Jesus iz LORD.

P.s. Oh also we should be careful if wearing printed tees or jumpers as to what the print actually means and says. although a homeless man in church with only a charity given print as his only shirt that says FCUK on it ( which is a brand name by the way) would be a different story.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Im legally obligated to vest in cassock and surplice. Due to being immodestly dressed more than three times. I have to report to the sacristy or the narthex to get vested under supervision.

Nihil Obstat

Im legally obligated to vest in cassock and surplice. Due to being immodestly dressed more than three times. I have to report to the sacristy or the narthex to get vested under supervision.

I feel like we need some background on this, especially if it is an ongoing thing. Seriously, what is going on?