An Old School Catholic Message Board

Benedict XVI's papal coat of arms

Myles Domini

Are you happy with the new Papal Heraldry?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Myles Domini

This one doesnt need much explaining but I'd like to hear your views phatpham. I am personally very pleased with Papa Ratzi's new coat of arms as I thought the triple tiered tiara made the Pope's look like they wanted to audition for parts in 'Coneheads'. However, I appreciate that the symbolism of a crowned Bishop of Rome might have meant more to some board members than it did to me. That being said, I thought the crown looked cool (on the flag rather than on the head). However, with Benedict XVI it looks like this symbol of papal authority has been confined to the pages of history. How d'yall feel about that? Was it right? Are you pleased with it? If so, why so? If not, why not?

[img]http://images.bistum-augsburg.de/1/95/1/11146114435490051.jpg[/img]

Ash Wednesday

Great, Myles. Now you've got me laughing about that "anthill" comment again. :hehe:

I have a feeling that the opinions will go along the sides of whether or not the doing away with the tiara itself was a good thing.

I don't have a problem with the coat of arms, myself.

My guess is that having that plus the very traditional pallium, including the one he had in his ceremony, intends to reflect his papacy drawing inspiration from the early church before the tiara came to be. I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that the mitre is a very old tradition -- and that the tiara evolved from the mitre. He's always spoken of the "new springtime" perhaps being more like the early church -- smaller numbers but more purified.

Just my humble guess. :)

I agree with Ash. Personally I love it. The colors are so vibrant , plus the sea shell and bear are great symbols. Not as simple as JPII but still an expression of humility.

Noel's angel

hmmm, i liked John Paul's better. Asthetically speaking, this one isn't that nice but i suppose its not really about fashion lol its the symbolism behind it that is important, so yeah, it's cool

[quote]Vatican expert explains papal heraldry

Vatican, Apr. 28 (CWNews.com) - A Vatican expert on heraldry has offered a full explanation of the coat of arms chosen by Pope Benedict XVI (bio - news).

Archbishop Andrea Cordero Lanza di Montezemolo, who designed the coat of arms for the new Pontiff, explained their symbolism in an article for the Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano .

The Pope's coat of arms is red and gold, and does not include a motto. Also, for the first time, the heraldic device does not include the papal tiara-- which had remained in the coats of arms of previous Pontiffs, although the ceremonial use of the tiara had been abandoned by Pope Paul VI.

In place of the tiara, the new papal arms includes a silver miter, decorated with three golden stripes. These stripes, the Italian archbishop said, denote the threefold office of the papacy: to teach, to sanctify, and to govern the faithful. The three stripes are connected by a gold vertical band, "to indicate their unity in the same person," he explained. Another symbol of the papacy, which has not been included in previous papal coats of arms, appears in that of Pope Benedict. The pallium-- the white woolen vestment worn around the neck to symbolize the authority of a metropolitan archbishop-- is draped on the lower part of the device.

Also included in the Pope's emblem is the pair of crossed keys which symbolize the spiritual authority of the papacy-- a common symbol in the papal crests over the centuries. Archbishop Cordero Lanza di Montezemolo remarked that Popes have designed their own coats of arms for several centuries, and Benedict XVI has included emblems that are "rich in symbolism and meaning."

Above the keys is a shield divided into three sections: one showing a scallop shell, one the head of an Ethiopian, and the third a bear carrying a pack. The symbolic significance of these elements was explained in an earlier CWN story. [The new Pope's coat of arms is not yet available online, but should soon appear on the Vatican web site.]

Pope Benedict's episcopal motto, "Cooperatores Veritatis," does not appear on the coat of arms. But Archbishop Cordero Lanza du Montezemolo pointed out that recent Popes have generally not made their mottos a part of their heraldic devices. Pope John Paul II (bio - news) frequently referred to his own motto, "Totus Tuus," but it was not part of his coat of arms.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=36829"]http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=36829[/url]

Noel's angel

[quote]These stripes, the Italian archbishop said, denote the threefold office of the papacy: to teach, to sanctify, and to govern the faithful. The three stripes are connected by a gold vertical band, "to indicate their unity in the same person," he explained. [/quote]

ok so maybe i was wrong.....

I like the new coat of arms. Papa Bene has made different remarks about Christian unity, the collegiality of bishops, and has a mitre instead of the tiara (I like to call it the Papal Helmet, since it's so darn big!).

Do you think that these are signs that he will take important steps for unity with the Orthodox churches?

[quote]Above the keys is a shield divided into three sections: one showing a scallop shell, one the head of an Ethiopian, and the third a bear carrying a pack. The symbolic significance of these elements was explained in an earlier CWN story. [[/quote]

\/\/\/
[url="http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=36801"]http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=36801[/url]

MilesChristi

[quote]Do you think that these are signs that he will take important steps for unity with the Orthodox churches? [/quote]

I've been wondering about this myself. I certainly hope His Holiness will continue reaching out to our (separated) brothers in the East as John Paul the Great did. However, much of this depends on the Orthodox themselves. I think the Catholic Church has done much over the past twenty or so years to be open to the Orthodox. In many cases this openness has not been reciprocated, especially with the Russian Orthodox; however, Bartholomew I, the ecumenical Patriarch gives me hope.

Let us pray fervently for unity while actively working towards it by building up friendships with the Orthodox faithful in our own neighborhoods. Each time a Catholic and an Orthodox come to a mutual understanding, a new crack is made in the wall of schism.

I am friends w/ a lady at work who's belarusian orthodox. She was so excited about the papal elections, and works at the Catholic school as an aide as well at her church's Sunday school. She is very nice and uderstanding. The smaller churches connected to he Russian Orthodox are more open I believe.

:D I Tend to like his coat of arms with the mitre better, it really captures what his office is as it pretains to that of being the bishop of Rome as well as the head of the church. In addition, considering that the Tiara has not been used for quite some time, i think the mitre to be perfect. it sets him apart from his predecessors.

popestpiusx

Bring back the tiara!! Those who do not like the tiara do not understand it.

I do like the coat of arms though.