An Old School Catholic Message Board

Benedict XVI's papal coat of arms

Myles Domini

Are you happy with the new Papal Heraldry?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='popestpiusx' date='May 2 2005, 10:51 PM'] Bring back the tiara!! Those who do not like the tiara do not understand it.

I do like the coat of arms though. [/quote]
Ah PPX you should have been here last week, there was a whole tiara thread.

I miss the tiara as well. Unfortunately, last week I was waist deep in papers on Aquinas. This week I"m only knee deep.

peace...

popestpiusx

I'm at shoulder deep. As soon as I turn this one in today, I will be in a more comfortable situation.

Don John of Austria

Teaching full time and trying to go to school is just killing me, I am not sure hw I am going to do this for another 18 months

son_of_angels

personally, I really like the coat of arms and all the new stuff in it. HOWEVER, I don't like what's been taken out of it. Come on, Popes, lets have a coronation done right and proper, papal tiara and all, bling bling. Not to mention that the coronation rite and crown symbolize all the different aspects, spiritual and temporal, of the supreme pontiff's authority. It has a great teaching potential and should not just be dropped as a matter of course.
The tiara is one constant in papal heraldry since the early middle ages, and it's historical significance should NOT be glanced over. :(

Don John of Austria

[quote name='son_of_angels' date='May 3 2005, 10:19 PM'] personally, I really like the coat of arms and all the new stuff in it. HOWEVER, I don't like what's been taken out of it. Come on, Popes, lets have a coronation done right and proper, papal tiara and all, bling bling. Not to mention that the coronation rite and crown symbolize all the different aspects, spiritual and temporal, of the supreme pontiff's authority. It has a great teaching potential and should not just be dropped as a matter of course.
The tiara is one constant in papal heraldry since the early middle ages, and it's historical significance should NOT be glanced over. :( [/quote]
I think You and I are going to be friends.... by the way Welcome to Phatmass.

heres what i found on answers.com on the tiara.

[quote]The last crowned Pope

Pope Paul VI (1963-1978) is crowned at the last papal coronation, in 1963.As with all previous popes, Pope Paul VI was crowned with a tiara at the papal coronation. As happened sometimes with previous popes, a new tiara was used, one donated by the city of Milan in honour of Paul's elevation; he had been Cardinal Archbishop of Milan up to his election. Pope Paul's tiara was quite different from earlier tiaras. It was not covered in jewels and precious gems, but was sharply cone-shaped. It was also distinctly lighter in weight than earlier tiaras.

Pope Paul VI was the last pontiff to wear a tiara. At the end of the Second Vatican Council, he descended the steps of the papal throne in St Peter's Basilica and laid the tiara on the altar in a dramatic gesture of humility and as a sign of the renunciation of human glory and power in keeping with the renewed spirit of the Second Vatican Council. It marked a renunciation of one of the three possible reasons for the existence of the three tiers of the crown; secular power, which in any case had ended in 1870 when the Papal States joined the rest of Italy to form the Kingdom of Italy. Popes initially refused to accept their loss of the Papal States. In an act of defiance, they refused to leave the Vatican, describing themselves melodramatically as the 'prisoner in the Vatican'. Paul's removal of his tiara was intended to forever symbolise the papacy's renunciation of any desire for secular power.

Pope Paul VI (1963-1978) laying his Papal Tiara on the altar of St. Peter's Basilica at the end of Vatican IIPope Paul's decision to abandon the use of one of the most striking symbols of the papacy, the Papal Tiara, proved highly controversial with conservative Catholics, many of whom continue to campaign for its re-instatement. Some indeed branded him an anti-pope, arguing that no valid pope would surrender the papal tiara. At least one 'claimant' to the papacy after Paul VI's death, Clemente Domínguez y Gómez, of the conservative catholic Palmar de Troya movement, and who was 'proclaimed' as 'Pope Gregory XVII' by his followers in Seville, Spain in 1978, was 'crowned' using a 'new' 'papal tiara', showing the power of its symbolism. A rival antipope, Pius XIII of the 'True Catholic Church' has made use of the tiara on his coat of arms.

Pope Paul's tiara was presented to the National Shrine of the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, DC by the Apostolic Delegate to the United States on February 6, 1968 as a gesture of Pope Paul VI's affection for the Catholic Church in the United States. It is on permanent display in Memorial Hall along with the stole of Pope John XXIII, which he wore at the opening of the Second Vatican Council.

A permanent end to the Triple Tiara?

Inauguration of Pope John Paul II in 1978: He wore a simplex mitre. Around his neck he wore a woollen pallum, which replaced the tiara in the installation ceremony. He also did not take the Papal oath.In 1978, one of Pope John Paul I's first decisions on his election was to dispense with the millennium-old papal coronation and the use of a papal tiara. Though perhaps understandable given Pope Paul's gesture a decade earlier, it still caused some surprise.

The new pope was instead installed in a new low-key inauguration ceremony, so low-key indeed that he had it moved to the morning so as not to disrupt Italian soccer coverage, which would normally be shown in the afternoon.

After Pope John Paul I's sudden death less than a month later, the new pope, John Paul II, opted to continue with John Paul I's precedent of replacing the papal coronation with a modest inauguration.

With the disappearance of the papal coronation, the British Monarch is now the only major monarch to receive a coronation. All others, like modern popes, are inaugurated into office. However, a future pope could decide to be crowned and wear one of the Triple Tiaras: the recent increased usage of some traditional elements, most notably the Tridentine Mass, which in an about turn is now being approved for usage more widely5, might open up the prospect of a return of the papal symbol pre-Vatican II.

Though unworn, the tiara remains the symbol of the papacy, and still features on the coat of arms of popes, including the uncrowned popes John Paul I and John Paul II.

One of the papal tiaras remains in use, however, as is placed on the head of a statue of St. Peter to honour him as the first pope on the feast of Saints Peter and Paul, June 29.[/quote]

son_of_angels

This notion to me of renouncing secular power seems imprudent. After all did not Jesus say, "All power on heaven AND EARTH is given to me." This power the Pope excercises in the name and by the authority of Christ. Whether that temporal power is political, it matters not. Rather that temporal power extends to having FULL and TOTAL authority over the faithful as the Christ's vicar on earth. This is not only applicable to spiritual powers like dogma and doctrine, but to temporal power like church discipline and governance, as well as to direct the actions of the faithful. Sometimes, yes this has political effects.
Why mess up something that worked for centuries? The world needs the political and moral stability of the Rock of Peter just as much now as it did in the Middle Ages.