An Old School Catholic Message Board

Medjugorje

jezic

Archangel

It's better to go to approved sites such as Fatima and Lourdes.

What I don't like about Medjugorje is that the seers live worldly lives and not humble ones.

i_see_things_upside_down

[quote name='Archangel' date='May 3 2005, 02:03 AM'] What I don't like about Medjugorje is that the seers live worldly lives and not humble ones.
[/quote]
Do you know of any websites concerning this? Can you give me any specifics concerning this claim of yours?

One of my friends went to Medjugorie and brought back some books and Rosaries. I didnt get a good look at them, but I am curious as to what is really going on at this place. Also, seer is not the correct terminology, it would be prophet. Yet, one cannot be a self proclaimed prophet. If one is doing this then he/she is not a true prophet, but a fake. God gets very angry at false prophets (read Jeremiah 23). God bless you!
Danielle

cmotherofpirl

Seer is the correct term.

When the Church finally rules we will know if its acceptable or not. Fatima and Lourdes had their detractors as well. Satan always attempts to cloud the field.
I have seen many people come back from Medjugorje changed for the better.

When my sister-in-law was pregnant the docters urged an abortion saying the baby was very deformed. The local nuns going to Megjugorje took the sonogram picture with them and gave them to the seers and asked them to include prayers for the child, which they did. My niece Joan Visca is perfectly normal and and when little talked about the lady in blue.

Myles Domini

I dont know enough about Medjugorje to make an educated appraisal of the situation. However, from what I've read of the monthly messages on their website I dont see much of a reason to go there. Most of them are nice and all but I could just as easily buy a book of meditations by a reputable saint. If people go to Medjugorje and come back changed then I'm all for it, but if they dont I'd say the whole thing is pointless and I think this about all sorts of pilgrimage. I'm not trying to discourage devotions but given the way some people seem to obsess over the fact Rome hasnt given Medjugorje the rubber stamp I find the Medjugorje sometimes troubling. Certain people seem to take up the banner of Medjugorje in order to fill a spiritual void in their life and spend all their time thereafter incessantly promoting it as real and bound to be identified so by Rome. Personally, whether or not Our Lady really is speaking to these people matters not to me. They wont be the first or the last. What matters to me is that a lot of energy that goes into the Medjugorje [i]cause[/i] should be diverted to the cause of promoting devotion to Our Lord's Divine Mercy as manifested in the Most Blessed Sacrament.

I would be more prone to believe the Medjugorje messages if they contained demands from Mary for reverence to be shown before her beloved son in the Most Blessed Sacrament within and without of Holy Mass.

dspen2005

if it is true about the disobedient franciscans and the fact of cohabitation, doesn't that invalidate the appearance as not being genuine... would this be considered a bad fruit of the appearances? and doesn't the Church judge the authenticity of these occurrences by their fruits?? seems like a rotten apple, if these allegations are correct.

popestpiusx

Here is some information I have posted countless times before:

[url="http://www.mdaviesonmedj.com/fulltext.rtf"]http://www.mdaviesonmedj.com/fulltext.rtf[/url]
[url="http://home.earthlink.net/~agless/Medjugorje.htm"]http://home.earthlink.net/~agless/Medjugorje.htm[/url]
[url="http://unitypublishing.com/Apparitions/MedjugorjeIndex.html"]http://unitypublishing.com/Apparitions/MedjugorjeIndex.html[/url]

If the BVM is appearing there, then she is incredibly boring and a liar (statements made by her have been completely false, and proven so). There are so many things wrong with the 'apparitions'. I don't have time to get any more into this. Perhaps later.

philothea

Ouch.

[url="http://unitypublishing.com/newswire/finaldec.html"] Franciscans to be Removed from Medjugorje [/url] makes it all look pretty bad.

I was under the impression that obedience was extremely important in relgious orders. :angry:

Nicole8223

Something that would make me believe, if I doubted, was that these 6 visionaries have said that they saw the Blessed Mother for the first time in 1981. Not one of them has wavered since then. Why would six teenagers give up the last 25 years of their lives for something that was not true? They were threatened with jail and death, and still they stuck to the story. Why? Why would a teenager do that if this was not true?

That's something I think of.

Also, I met several times with 2 of the visionaries, and I think it is passing judgment to say they live worldy lives and are not humble. I actually completely disagree. My friend hosted Ivan in her home a week ago, and we got to spend some great time with him. The man is so very humble...speaks nothing of himself, only of our Lady and her messages. He travels around the world, leaving his family, putting himself at the mercy of people who host him, and receives no money from it. He actualy refuses to go speak if there is a charge to get in for people. So if you are saying he is worldly cause he drives a Jeep Liberty and has a decent home, I think there is more to someone than that.

As for the other visionaries, they are in the poor country of Bosnia. Their lives are devoted to sharing the story of Medugorje and the messages. They constanly host pilgrims in their homes, cooking for them and taking care of them, as servants. It is truly amazing!

I am not saying "Believe it or else!" I am just sharing what I have seen. I, too, was skeptical at one time.

I do see that there is a lot of hype, too. People make a lot of claims ("I saw the sun spin!" "My rosaries turned to gold!"), and while many may just be people getting caught up in things, who are we to say. I saw none of these things. Our group leader told us to forget the spinning sun and the physical miracles, and to look deeper for the truth that lies in the Eucharist and the Mass and sacraments.

One last thing...in one of her messages Our Lady said to the visionaries, "If you ever have to make the choice to go to Mass or come see me, do not come to me. Go to the Mass." I think that is an awesome testimony to what these messages are about. :)

i do not think they live worldly lives. There are many books and websites that attest to this fact.

www.medjugorje.org
www.medjugorjeusa.org

I would look at these first.

It is true that satan strikes as well. If this is the most hotly contested one then it would be a clue in that something is going on there. If it were nothing then satan wouldn't care.

It has been reported in the catholic press in the UK that parishes have been specifically asked by the authorities in the vatican not to make pilgrimages to Medjugorje while it is being investigated. It hasn't yet recieved approval and I thought we are asked to be obedient to the leadership of our church.....

I think its a very Beautiful and Holy place where miraculous things happen. I have always wanted to go to Medjugorje Im hoping maybe this summer even if its Gods will. I believe with every ounce of my being that Mary is appearing there and has been. I was fortunate to see one of the visionaries when she came here to Moncton quite a few years ago i may have been 12 at the time. Her name is Vishka (sp) and even tho i was quite young, i remember how moving and touching it was to see her. We were seated right behind this big cross behind the stage, so when she knelt down and was praying and looking up at the cross we could see her face, and she was crying and just her face was glowing it was so beautiful :) When I go to Mary house, at the farm at the very top of the hill they have this large cross and it reminds me everytime i travel up to it of Medjugorje. I have always wanted to go to Medjugorje and hope to soon :)

[quote]why would the Holy See ever not encourage people to go there? [/quote]

I think it's because it is still being investigated by the authorities.